Off Topic Gymnastics in The Year 2090

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yesterday I came across this video of the 1936 women’s gymnastics Olympics.

To be honest, I was expecting it to be something like what Nadia Comaneci did (obviously not near as good as her, but a routine like that and what they did in the 70s). I noticed in the 70s the bars were closer together so I thought it would be something like that, maybe a bit less difficult .

But when I saw the video I was very surprised to find how ballet-esque it was, and frankly quite……simple. Of course the moves must’ve required a decent amount of strength (you can see some of the girls VERY toned arm muscles!) but Olympic gymnasts today are literally superhuman. It was intriguing to see how much the sport has evolved, even if it has been 86 years.

That got me wondering: what might gymnastics be like a few decades from now, specially, in the year 2090? I know this is kind of a silly thing to ask but I’m genuinely curious.

Here are my predictions:

The balance beam will become 2 inches wide and routines will be performed over a pit of fire or piranha infested waters, but the gymnast can choose which of the 2 they’d prefer :)
Both bars will become high bars, and be placed even further apart
Floor skills will become insanely difficult, like quadruple back layouts
Some skills might have to become banned, like doing back tucks on beam while green acid is bubbling underneath it.
Competitions might include robots, where the gymnasts have to get more height than the robots in tumbling passes
Overall gymnastics will become very thrilling and extremely dangerous, almost like circus acrobatics but way cooler.

Obviously these are all very ridiculous and silly predictions- but it’s fun to imagine (minus the piranhas). What do you think gymnastics will look like in the year 2090?

You know, I would have predicted 2090 to be about when we'd see women competing triple doubles on floor and yurchenko double pikes on vault.

Then along came Simone.

It's also about when I would have predicted we'd see male athletes catching triple kovacs and tkatchev saltos and quad flyaways on high bar -- but Fusuke Maeda has done the kovacs and the quad in training, and Ben Bloom has caught a tkatchev salto.

I’m thinking MAG and WAG will combine to become one gender neutral sport.

I predict the women will no longer be wearing bathing suits, but will have shorts or pants. No sparkles or pageant-style hair and makeup.
AI will do the scoring based on perfection models.
Human judges will still give a separate, artistic merit score.
All the equipment will have sensors to detect when the apparatus is touched, how hard, and how consistently. If those rings are swinging, we're going to know exactly how much.

There will be a greater range of body types, ages competing at the highest levels. That's just my wish, not a prediction.

I am kind of obsessed with the idea that by 2090 we will have a much more advanced understanding of human physiology, developmental psychology, etc. I think the main bottleneck in gymnastics advancement is not technology, but the human body.

Technological advancements will always propel the sport, but—as of now—the real key to success is to learn the fundamentals, train hard, and be lucky. I think by 2090 there will be less luck involved. Our training curricula will be more specialized and evidence-based, more gymnasts will be able to achieve higher levels of gymnastics, the sport will open up to diverse body types and age groups, etc. (I am an adult now, and I am personally interested in "late-stage gymnastics.")

On a less serious note, one of my good friends (not a gymnast) always wanted to see "combined gymnastics." For example: he wanted to see a gymnast tumble down a runway into a vault and then "land" the vault by catching a bar to swing some giants and dismount onto a balance beam. Basically...one event with all the tricks. Considering that 2090 is very far away, this could also be how gymnastics as a sport evolves.

I am kind of obsessed with the idea that by 2090 we will have a much more advanced understanding of human physiology, developmental psychology, etc. I think the main bottleneck in gymnastics advancement is not technology, but the human body.

Technological advancements will always propel the sport, but—as of now—the real key to success is to learn the fundamentals, train hard, and be lucky. I think by 2090 there will be less luck involved. Our training curricula will be more specialized and evidence-based, more gymnasts will be able to achieve higher levels of gymnastics, the sport will open up to diverse body types and age groups, etc. (I am an adult now, and I am personally interested in "late-stage gymnastics.")

On a less serious note, one of my good friends (not a gymnast) always wanted to see "combined gymnastics." For example: he wanted to see a gymnast tumble down a runway into a vault and then "land" the vault by catching a bar to swing some giants and dismount onto a balance beam. Basically...one event with all the tricks. Considering that 2090 is very far away, this could also be how gymnastics as a sport evolves.
Omw…. This is kind of stuff I would imagine as a 7 year old! This was a very nostalgic post to read as it opened up a memory I haven’t thought of literal years. The “combined gymnastics” your friend talked about is what I would wonder about when I was little. It would be very interesting indeed!

Omw…. This is kind of stuff I would imagine as a 7 year old! This was a very nostalgic post to read as it opened up a memory I haven’t thought of literal years. The “combined gymnastics” your friend talked about is what I would wonder about when I was little. It would be very interesting indeed!
Same! I used to share with him my gymnastics accomplishments and he would reply with, "That's cool, but what if you could do [something technically possible but totally absurd]." He would go on and on about how bars and balance beam could be combined. LOL!

My predictions:

- there will definitely be harder skills that will common in routines, like triple back tucks and layout fulls on beam
- There will be AI coaches and robot spotters
- judging will also be done by AI

Yesterday I came across this video of the 1936 women’s gymnastics Olympics.

To be honest, I was expecting it to be something like what Nadia Comaneci did (obviously not near as good as her, but a routine like that and what they did in the 70s). I noticed in the 70s the bars were closer together so I thought it would be something like that, maybe a bit less difficult .

But when I saw the video I was very surprised to find how ballet-esque it was, and frankly quite……simple. Of course the moves must’ve required a decent amount of strength (you can see some of the girls VERY toned arm muscles!) but Olympic gymnasts today are literally superhuman. It was intriguing to see how much the sport has evolved, even if it has been 86 years.

That got me wondering: what might gymnastics be like a few decades from now, specially, in the year 2090? I know this is kind of a silly thing to ask but I’m genuinely curious.

Here are my predictions:

The balance beam will become 2 inches wide and routines will be performed over a pit of fire or piranha infested waters, but the gymnast can choose which of the 2 they’d prefer :)
Both bars will become high bars, and be placed even further apart
Floor skills will become insanely difficult, like quadruple back layouts
Some skills might have to become banned, like doing back tucks on beam while green acid is bubbling underneath it.
Competitions might include robots, where the gymnasts have to get more height than the robots in tumbling passes
Overall gymnastics will become very thrilling and extremely dangerous, almost like circus acrobatics but way cooler.

Obviously these are all very ridiculous and silly predictions- but it’s fun to imagine (minus the piranhas). What do you think gymnastics will look like in the year 2090?

No age limits! And Simone will still be doing gymnastics!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back