Gymnastics in West Virginia

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have two female gymnasts moving to the Harpers Ferry/Hedgesville WV area. I am looking for a gym for them. They are pre team/level 4 and I would like a nice facility with good coaches, but the high level optional/elite thing isn't necessary. I realize gyms are sparse in WV. So far I have found

1. Kids in Motion in Ranson WV
2. Style Gymnastics in Frederick MD
3. Frederick Gymnastics in Frederick MD

Any opinions on those, or any I am missing?

We have seen Frederick's compete at a few meets we've been too and they've been decent.

Have seen all of the gyms, don't know much about Kids in Motion though they compete at a lot of meets in VA and I certainly don't have anything negative to say. The two in Frederick seem to be pretty good gyms but not large teams. Style at least consistently seems to have some optionals (sorry, just haven't seen them in a few years, but as far as I know it hasn't changed).

If you search Frederick gymnastics on youtube I know there are some videos there, a local network filmed an open house or something as I recall.

I don't know that much about the exact geography of the area, but depending on where they'll be living they may be nearly as close to some parts of VA like Leesburg...they could try looking at the location of Apex Gymnastics (two locations but I don't know if team is at both) or possibly even Winchester, Shenandoah Tumblers.

Only the Leesburg location of Apex has a team. I'm thinking that Frederick is quite a cruise from W.VA.... at least the way we go (straight shot down Route 15 towards Gettysburg, PA). Is there a different way to get to Frederick from WVA other than route 15?

Are they closer to Hedgesville or Harper's Ferry? Those two places are 30 min apart? It would make a difference in deciding which way to travel.

If they are closer to Hedgesville then Winchester, Va (Shenandoah Tumblers) is closer (3o min) and a more direct shot down 81 than Fredrick, Md which is closer to an hour away. Leesburg would be over an hour.
However, Leesburg is not as far from Harper's Ferry, but still about 45 min unless you know the back roads(and can drive them fast). And Harper's Ferry is only about 25 min from Fredrick, Md.

Grew up in that area, but I can't tell you much about the gyms anymore since we moved far away a few years ago.

Thanks for the geographpy lesson Gymjoy! It's funny... I've lived here all of my life, but only go the "known" routes to get from point A to point B! There's also "Competitive Edge" out in the Winchester area.

My Dad is a geek about maps and finding "interesting" routes to get places. I learned a lot by getting lost and driving around until we found our way home.
Also, back when I was growing up it was a pretty rural place (only 4 high schools in the county) and friends lived everywhere. In high school we drove all over the county to friends house and, um, field parties in the middle of nowhere.

My parents and a sister still live in Leesburg. It's so different. Sometimes I get lost in town
icon9.gif

I believe they will be closer to Hedgesville, although they have not yet bought a house. I know nothing of the area other than what mapquest tells me, so keep the info coming.

Are they closer to Hedgesville or Harper's Ferry? Those two places are 30 min apart? It would make a difference in deciding which way to travel.

If they are closer to Hedgesville then Winchester, Va (Shenandoah Tumblers) is closer (3o min) and a more direct shot down 81 than Fredrick, Md which is closer to an hour away. Leesburg would be over an hour.
However, Leesburg is not as far from Harper's Ferry, but still about 45 min unless you know the back roads(and can drive them fast). And Harper's Ferry is only about 25 min from Fredrick, Md.

Grew up in that area, but I can't tell you much about the gyms anymore since we moved far away a few years ago.

This helps, because I know what gyms are where, I just don't necessarily know where is where.

Shenandoah Tumblers is a very nice, new facility, in a larger sports facility. They host several competitions per year. Not a huge team or machine gym, but the coaches and owners are nice and can develop individual gymnasts.

Apex has a much more "serious" optional team. They are not super dominant with the compulsories, program is good but the focus is just more on optionals from what I know. The owner is great.

Competitive Edge is newish I guess. Don't know much about. Well apparently I know someone who coaches there. I'm sure the facility is nice.

Not Kids in Motion

Well in my opinion Kids in Motion is not the best place for a dedicated gymnast. They have a very small gym and too many regulations for signing up and droppping out of a class.

Style has changed their name to Excellence Gym Sports ( EGS). Both Frederick and EGS do pretty well at meets and Frederick has usually had a good size optional team. Also in the area are Flips and 4 Star is a bit west in Williamsport but right off 81.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back