WAG Gymnastics is really an odd sport!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I just have to say after reading the Doc Ali threads and threads about if Doc Ali is good for 7 year olds and what not. This is one nutty sport where 7 year old need a sports psychologist to make it sanely through! Can you imagine that with softball? (OMG I'm terrified the ball will hit me in the face must do therapy!) or swimming? (I'm afraid I'm gonna drown) Sorry just gave me some perspective and a good laugh over my morning coffee.

*Side note* I do not have anything against Doc Ali or her programs.

I am soooo with you. When dd began this crazy journey I had no idea what it entailed. I did field hockey and softball and not for 4hours a day 5 days a week!. I do remember being nervous during a throwing drill when the pregnant coach walked by the teamate I was throwing to and I prayed I wouldn't hit her. But thats it so I am grateful for this forum and all those who help me try to understand what its about as well as moral support. As Tiny Tim says "God bless us every one". Soon competition season will begin for dd and I am hoping just to enjoy watching but I know that my own nerves will kick in and I'll be praying lol.

Sure. But no matter how scary and crazy and difficult a sport is, the love and passion for it just needs to be a tiny bit bigger.
That's enough.

Side note: Not always that easy to figure out wether this is still the case and if not so to accept it and move on though.

I guess the mental side of the sport is such a huge part of gymnastics that that is why it comes into play. Where did you see a 7 year old needing Doc Ali though?

No comment on Doc Ali, but I can't resist expressing my surprise that aerialriver took this long to figure out that top to bottom and inside-out this sport gets about as strange, or stranger, than anything else mankind has conjured up for sport or recreation...........

Tiny Tim? you might be revealing your age! hahahahahahaha...i know who Tiny Tim is and i'm OLD! hahahahahaha

I think you got the wrong Tiny Tim. Unless, of course, you claim to be Ebenezer Scrooge............

But hey, I'll never forget Tiny Tim, the song writer and performer. That guy had a voice like butter........ well maybe rancid butter.

I think you got the wrong Tiny Tim. Unless, of course, you claim to be Ebenezer Scrooge............

But hey, I'll never forget Tiny Tim, the song writer and performer. That guy had a voice like butter........ well maybe rancid butter.
Tiny Tim? you might be revealing your age! hahahahahahaha...i know who Tiny Tim is and i'm OLD! hahahahahaha

Lol I meant reference to Dickens but am of the age of "tip toe through the tulips" Tim too! :)

Bwahahaha!!!

Oh I can totally go for this right now…

I feel nuts when:
I realize that it all started from one innocent mommy and me class…
I have seen my 8yo during the week only on Friday nights for the last 3 years….
That piece of spandex (comp leo) is how much?!?!... OK, let me write you a check.
Gymnastic tuition equals tuition at a local private school….
You lost what again?!?! (and yes we ended up reading Doc Ali to help her through)
Planning family vacation around gymnastic meet…
Doing homework in the car…
Getting 5 hours of sleep in order to get up on time to get lunch ready and pick her (and the rest of the carpool girls) up from school to get to practice on time….
My 4 years old convinces the coach that she really needs the 4th day of practice “to just warm up and stretch with the big girls”….
Sleeping in the car during practice…
Spending my weekends off driving to meets (and actually looking forward to it!)…

Yep, I’ve been involved in many sports but never something this crazy.

I thought I had seen it all as a child in figure skating (like 9 year olds with sports psychologists sitting with them at every competition to help them get through) but I was WRONG! This sport is nuts. NUTS.

Good gracious! I agree! How did we get sucked into this?! The three year old has become obsessed too. I just thought I was doing a good thing for a hyperactive preschooler and it is starting to take over our lives!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back