Gymnastics isn't a sport.....NEVER!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That article makes me so annoyed. Not that equestrian shouldn't be first. I don't know how hard it is, because I've never ridden, but because gymnastics "is a judged activity and therefore not a sport!" It's a solo sport, but it's still a sport!

To be fair, the whole article was rather tongue in cheek-he insulted basically every sport in the Olympics.

That's actually the article he read. Also, I know how to ride a horse, I've never jumped, but I've ridden, and gymnastics is way harder in my opinion.

This is actually a common debate in my house - my sister is a horse rider. Its funny though because i'm the only one that can do both and i definitely say gymnastics is more physically demanding :p

My sons (14 and 9) both claim that gymnastics is not a sport because there is no ball involved. That is their only criteria. And there is no rationalizing with them either LOL. Maybe they just say that to bug their sisters, but they seem to be sticking with that theory no matter what comes up.

This is all interesting. I think gymnasts are athletes, incredible ones at that, but I tend to think of gymnasts, dance, swimming, riding, even track and field, as something you "do" while soccer, lacrosse, basketball, they are all something you "play"
Maybe that is what people mean? Technically they are sports, just a different kind.

So if someone asks me if my gymnasts plays a sport, I might say, well she plays soccer and field hockey and does gymnastics. If she only did gymnastics, I guess I'd say she does gymnastics. LOL semantics much?

I don't think my gymnast cares, she just gets annoyed when people act like gymnastics is not hard.

I can't really make myself care too much what some dingdong on the internet thinks. Or my siblings (big brothers...) or anyone else thinks about it.

They can say gymnastics is not a sport all they want, but it doesn't change that gymnasts are some of the fittest athletes & it doesn't change that my out of shape is more in shape than most of them will ever be.

When they start trying to say it's easy, though, it's on.

Perhaps we should round up everyone who doubts gymnastics 'sport' status and put them through level 4 - they might begin to appreciate how difficult it is then!

:p Level 4 would be way too tough. When you've got 2 little gymnasts lying on the grass laughing hysterically at mom and dad trying cartwheels and handstands, it's definitely a sport. I can throw a football, shoot hoops, hula hoop, kick a soccer ball around.....but a round off's a lot harder then it looks. ;-)

Not only physically demanding as gymgurl said, but also mentally demanding!
BTW: For Matt...From all that TOUGH arm conditioning I've done throughout the years, I can hit back pretty hard! lol!

Not only physically demanding as gymgurl said, but also mentally demanding!
BTW: For Matt...From all that TOUGH arm conditioning I've done throughout the years, I can hit back pretty hard! lol!

I can't! Sometimes we do workout videos in gymnastics, and one of them has throwing punches as a core/arms exercise in it. The whole team looks so ridiculous...we can do a lot of things, but we just don't know how to hit!

Sorry but I have to agree with your brother. Gymnastics is not a sport, but rather it is an athletic competition. The difference is in how a winner is determined. A sport is has a clear way of determining a winner ie (who crosses line first, who jumps farthest, and etc).

Many people like myself and other feel Gymnastics isnt a sport because the scoring is judged. Saying one persons vault is .1 amount better then another is really subjective. Sport is not just about how much athletic ability is required. Bowling is a sport, but no one says it takes any athletism but who wins/loses is clear.

Gymnastics, figure skating, diving are lumped into the same category. I would equate them to something like a Slam Dunk Contest.

Ugly reality. The most difficult sports get discarded/disrespected why?...... CAUSE THEY ARE HARD!

Why did basketball grow so fast after James Naismith invented it?. Cause ANYONE could play it. That was his intent when he invented the sport! He was asked to come up with a sport than any goofball orrrr talented person could play. He was an instructor at Springfield College at the time. Someone higher up the chain in the Phys Ed. department assigned him the task.

Sorry.. side tracked a bit..... anyway point is... The MORE folk, even if they are they type who allways tripped while chewing gum could play it. The more that can participate the more it becomes "popular". Same with football, Soccer, Cheer style Dance etc; Any stumble dumb can sorta do it. I didn't say excell at it... but they can sorta actually do it. All of the gymnastics sports..... VERY DIFFERENT STORY... you have to have a little bit of something going for ya that's just a tad bit beyond your average kid to feel like your "doing" it.

Granted Economic times had something to do with growth of American Ball sports too.. but that is a whole other discussion.

So what's this got to do with it...... Hard sports are not POPULAR... and if it is not popular then most have not participated in it*..... therefore they can not APPRECIATE it. All the popular sports have a BALL involved. There for it is easy for those who have no clue about anything but popular "ball" sports.... to mistakingly feel and say that if there is no ball.... it aint sport. They are just poor misinformed FOOLS

*again economics come to play. Popular sports... more participation equals MORE MONEY..... colleges drop sports abusing Title IX rules to pad budgets of the money making "popular sports". Therefore dropped college sports are no longer required education material for future physical Education teachers.... therefore these sports are not introduced to kids in school Phys ed class when the are teachers..... therefore again..... the cycle spins.... only (seriously supported) ball sports are done in school thus the other sports..... must not be sports; in the kids eyes..... cycle of missinformation continues.

EXAMPLE is the post above this one. What a missinformed simpleton look at it by Jenwon.

Sorry but I have to agree with your brother. Gymnastics is not a sport, but rather it is an athletic competition. The difference is in how a winner is determined. A sport is has a clear way of determining a winner ie (who crosses line first, who jumps farthest, and etc).

Many people like myself and other feel Gymnastics isnt a sport because the scoring is judged. Saying one persons vault is .1 amount better then another is really subjective. Sport is not just about how much athletic ability is required. Bowling is a sport, but no one says it takes any athletism but who wins/loses is clear.

Gymnastics, figure skating, diving are lumped into the same category. I would equate them to something like a Slam Dunk Contest.
Historical fact in no way shape or form supports your statements jenwon. Simple way to determine the winner is not in the definition of sport in any way shape or form. In fact the original sport of Track ... THE FIRST OLYMPIC SPORT.... the winner was often NOT the guy who crossed the finish line first. Greek history is that the WAY your ran... the "flow" as Parkour traceurs call it, was judged and if the guy who came in second "flowed" "looked cooler", than the guy who crossed the line first.... THEN HE WON. This is why the drawings of sport in the days of the Greeks... looks so odd to us. It was not cause they were bad artist or ancient modern artist it, they did draw it as they saw it. It is not until you take into account the "flow" do the drawings make since.

JUDGMENT sports where the ORIGINAL SPORTS of mankind. Dynamics of cheating is what changed that in many sports. The sports that a simpleton way could be used to determine the winner (cross finish line first, knocked other guy out, scored more points etc.) was one way to solve the cheating issue so that logically came about. YET, For folk with more brains the other sports continued on in the original SPIRIT OF SPORT. They just chose to use Judgments more complicated (hence.. more brain power needed) to better establish the winner. For example the system of judging used today in Gymnastics, Ice Skating, maybe diving too? derived from statistical analysis that showed such as system is harder for a judge to cheat and or have their inherent bias to affect the over all score.

Sooooo stop thinking ONLY like a simpleton. Be smart! You'll appreciate more things :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back