WAG Gymnastics narrative ideas

• Thread starter Deleted member 17723
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

For school we have to write a narrative, personal or fantasy. I have no idea what to write about. Any ideas?

Tell me a story - love it!
Story selection; Consider expanding the notion for what can be considered a sports story. The best ones I have read reach into other parts of the world – like psychology, physiology, medicine, the human spirit, families and more.

Tell about the nuances of a sport. It does not have to be a "huge moment" to be an excellent narrative. The stories in gymnastics are written everyday. EX: The work on a flight series on Balance Beam at a single practice.

Great assignment. Best, SBG -

Teacher here-narratives should be "small moment" stories-tell about ONE beam routine or one bars routine, or one floor routine, etc., including what you are thinking and feeling, as well as dialogue. Describe what's going on using all 5 senses if you can (I know taste might be hard, but it's still doable). Alternately, tell about finally getting the skill you had worked forever on (don't tell the whole backstory, but you can put some of it into your thoughts in the story-just tell about the time you finally got it.)

I recently had to write a autobiographical Narrative so I wrote about when I overcame a mental block.

I second the suggestion that a good narrative is often about one, small moment. One of my favorite personal narratives authored by my oldest was about a baseball game -- but not the whole game -- just a single at bat. He described what he was seeing, thinking, feeling, etc. (the weight of bat, feeling of dirt under foot...) Came out really nice. The teacher had worked with the class to move from a big idea (e.g., gymnastics or gymnastics meet) to a small moment, and then really describe it well. Good luck!

Remember to start as close to the action as possible, and make every word count. You have some good suggestions here.

Also, a happy ending doesn't have to be a perfect one. A nice ending is when the character succeeds, but not in the way that you would expect (think Moana, where they save the world but not by defeating the lava monster, but by befriending it).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back