Parents Gymnastics Summer Camps... Which One?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Are you looking for a gymnastics camp? Our next article by Jen Kula is just for you...

Are you going to a camp or have you been to one?​

Tell us about it!​

Does anyone know if camps like these are open for international campers? I checked their websites and couldn't find any obvious answers. I have an opportunity for international travel next year, and a camp would be perfect opportunity for my little one to have fun while I work

Are you looking for a gymnastics camp? Our next article by Jen Kula is just for you...

My son is going to Flip Fest for the 2nd time and absolutely loves it! He acquired multiple new skills and loved all of the non-gym related activities as well. In a couple of years we will consider going to college camps, but for now he is only 10. I just want him to have fun!

Does anyone know if camps like these are open for international campers? I checked their websites and couldn't find any obvious answers. I have an opportunity for international travel next year, and a camp would be perfect opportunity for my little one to have fun while I work
Woodward has had international gymnasts. I can't see why others wouldn't allow it.

I love Flipfest. I am taking my girls week 7 and my son is taking his boys week 3. We work at different gyms and it is the first time that we have gone different weeks. I love that there are so many activities besides gymnastics. This will be my 13th year taking gymnasts.

These all sound so brilliant. We don’t really have the equivalent in the uk, just day camps like
Childcare really.

5FCB3E09-B34A-4EC7-A292-43CB1A482A23.jpeg

For our adult gymnasts. Chellsie just posted details of her CoEd Adult gymnastics weekend. I would love to see this being a great success.

Update: Chellsie’s camp sold out in less than 24 hours with gymnasts from 20 states. She is trying to schedule another weekend from August. I don’t actually do gymnastics but I love the idea of adults continuing to do something they love And pushing past the stereotype of gymnastics being for kids.

Does anyone have info for Gators camp? Like how did their kid like it, what did they do, how was the coaching?
We have been several times. My daughter loved it, but she/we are huge gator fans lol. Very large groups, so don't attend thinking you are going to come away with some new skill/secret sauce/Individual attention. They break up the girls in about 7-8 smaller groups of about 20 gymnasts, each of those groups are led by a gator gymnast. Then they rotate to different stations with Gator coaches and guest coaches (sometimes the guest coaches are alumni gymnasts that are coaching now) but most of the guest coaches are from JO programs in the central/n. fl region. Besides the traditional event stations, they have a nutrition station, and I think they even did a social media safety/self-care/mental health station (I could be wrong on that). They also do a picture session where each gymnast can get a group pic with the team. The last half-day at the end they have open gym for an hour or two where parents etc can come in and watch, they do a dance that they learned over the two days, awards are given and then they are dismissed. Of course tons of pictures after they are dismissed.

Overall fun to see where they train and be close to the team. Camp fills up quick!!!! so literally be ready to sign-up online as soon as it opens to get a slot.

We have been several times. My daughter loved it, but she/we are huge gator fans lol. Very large groups, so don't attend thinking you are going to come away with some new skill/secret sauce/Individual attention. They break up the girls in about 7-8 smaller groups of about 20 gymnasts, each of those groups are led by a gator gymnast. Then they rotate to different stations with Gator coaches and guest coaches (sometimes the guest coaches are alumni gymnasts that are coaching now) but most of the guest coaches are from JO programs in the central/n. fl region. Besides the traditional event stations, they have a nutrition station, and I think they even did a social media safety/self-care/mental health station (I could be wrong on that). They also do a picture session where each gymnast can get a group pic with the team. The last half-day at the end they have open gym for an hour or two where parents etc can come in and watch, they do a dance that they learned over the two days, awards are given and then they are dismissed. Of course tons of pictures after they are dismissed.

Overall fun to see where they train and be close to the team. Camp fills up quick!!!! so literally be ready to sign-up online as soon as it opens to get a slot.
I managed to sign up by 12.01 and by 12.02 everyone got waitlisted!

I literally picked this one out of distance convenience although we are gators fans. What level was your daughter when she went? They’re split up by levels right?

Did the gators coaches also hands on coach? Was there a good number of coaches for the group of 20 girls (like..more than 1 lol)?

Do they announce at some point which JO coaches will be there or which gators gymnasts will be there? The info given is super minimal.

Can they work upskills? There’s a weird disparity between her skills on bars vs on beam for example, she’s got the level 8 bar routine and starting to work 9 skills, but I think she’s going to compete 7.

Sorry for all the questions!

In 3 days I don’t think she’ll learn anything new lol, I’m just hoping to give her a little bit more of a fun atmosphere and a bit less of a grind to get specific skills. She loves being at the gym, but there’s a lot of pressure on her to do specific things which results in some snide comments from some girls about favoritism (middle school girls ugh)- she just needs a fun place where no one knows her.

I managed to sign up by 12.01 and by 12.02 everyone got waitlisted!

I literally picked this one out of distance convenience although we are gators fans. What level was your daughter when she went? They’re split up by levels right?

Did the gators coaches also hands on coach? Was there a good number of coaches for the group of 20 girls (like..more than 1 lol)?

Do they announce at some point which JO coaches will be there or which gators gymnasts will be there? The info given is super minimal.

Can they work upskills? There’s a weird disparity between her skills on bars vs on beam for example, she’s got the level 8 bar routine and starting to work 9 skills, but I think she’s going to compete 7.

Sorry for all the questions!

In 3 days I don’t think she’ll learn anything new lol, I’m just hoping to give her a little bit more of a fun atmosphere and a bit less of a grind to get specific skills. She loves being at the gym, but there’s a lot of pressure on her to do specific things which results in some snide comments from some girls about favoritism (middle school girls ugh)- she just needs a fun place where no one knows her.
No problem happy to help. If I recall, my daughter went from level 4 to about level 8/9? They don't split by levels, the last time she went she was in an elite group (or what felt like one) with I think it was Ellie Lazzari and Gabby Gallentine by chance. Needless to say, she was pretty intimidated.

But yes the coaches were pretty hands-on. And there are several at each station. The gymnast is only the "leader" of that group and helps come up with their dance and team name and team cheer. I know my daughter worked a lot with Adrian Burde such that he always speaks to her (casual hello, no recruiting violations lol) when he sees her at the gym/competitions.

I have never seen them announce who will be there in advance. But there are plenty of coaches to make sure everyone is safe.

As far as upskills, it really is up to the gymnast to speak up and ask the coach to work on helping them try to do a particular skill. Otherwise, they will just let go through the drills at each station. I also know that they will not let them do an upskill if they don't think it is safe or appropriate. I know my daughter got one camp because she wanted to try some new skill and they wouldn't let her.

Overall, a fun action-packed camp. No pressure, just really enjoy being around a lot of other girls that love the sport and just love being in the gym.

No problem happy to help. If I recall, my daughter went from level 4 to about level 8/9? They don't split by levels, the last time she went she was in an elite group (or what felt like one) with I think it was Ellie Lazzari and Gabby Gallentine by chance. Needless to say, she was pretty intimidated.

But yes the coaches were pretty hands-on. And there are several at each station. The gymnast is only the "leader" of that group and helps come up with their dance and team name and team cheer. I know my daughter worked a lot with Adrian Burde such that he always speaks to her (casual hello, no recruiting violations lol) when he sees her at the gym/competitions.

I have never seen them announce who will be there in advance. But there are plenty of coaches to make sure everyone is safe.

As far as upskills, it really is up to the gymnast to speak up and ask the coach to work on helping them try to do a particular skill. Otherwise, they will just let go through the drills at each station. I also know that they will not let them do an upskill if they don't think it is safe or appropriate. I know my daughter got one camp because she wanted to try some new skill and they wouldn't let her.

Overall, a fun action-packed camp. No pressure, just really enjoy being around a lot of other girls that love the sport and just love being in the gym.
That sounds awesome - do you know how they decide to split them up then? My kid is pretty shy unless it’s on “her” event

For our adult gymnasts. Chellsie just posted details of her CoEd Adult gymnastics weekend. I would love to see this being a great success.

Update: Chellsie’s camp sold out in less than 24 hours with gymnasts from 20 states. She is trying to schedule another weekend from August. I don’t actually do gymnastics but I love the idea of adults continuing to do something they love And pushing past the stereotype of gymnastics being for kids.
I love this!

That sounds awesome - do you know how they decide to split them up then? My kid is pretty shy unless it’s on “her” event
Honestly I have no idea, if there is any intention behind splitting groups, other than maybe high-level, lets make sure not too heavy one way or the other. If you really have specific concerns you can always email Lee, the sweetest woman, she is generally responsive to reasonable questions/requests.

This will be my gymnasts 3rd year at Flipfest and she absolutely adores it. Tons of gymnastics time, along with so many extra fun regular 'camp' stuff. Her coaches take a group every year and its the best team bonding time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back