Off Topic Gymnastics tattoo??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been in gymnastics for 11 years. I am only a level eight but will soon be graduating. I also coach.I love gymnastics and it's taught me so much with life and everything else. I wanted to get a tattoo on my back of a gymnast doing a leap and under it say "life is a beautiful struggle." is it a bad idea since I won't be in gymnastics forever?

...tattoos....not a fan myself, if you are doubting it, remember its permanent so don't do it unless you are 100% sure you won't regret it in 10,20 or even 30 years

I wanted one really bad in my early twenties. I did the research, looked into parlors, found designs... and I decided that I would wait a few years to see if I was still willing to get it. It has been about 10 years and I'm SO glad I didn't do it. My body has changed a lot, I don't wear the same kind of clothes, and my style is so different. As we get older, our taste evolves. TATOOS are permanent, and not so cool looking as they age.

My dad always says that if you want a tattoo, wait 10 years. If you still want the same tattoo after 10 years, you can get it. (HINT: After 10 years, people usually don't still want the tattoo)

My friend got a tatoo and found out after she is allergic to the ink. Her foot has a permanent rash. That's one reason tatoo's make me nervous.

For all of the above reasons do not do it. Plus tattoos really do change the way people think about you.

Despite how main stream they are, there is still a trailer trash edge to body art. Do ponder where life will take you as many proffesions just do not fit with the whole "inking" culture.

For all of the above reasons do not do it. Plus tattoos really do change the way people think about you.

Despite how main stream they are, there is still a trailer trash edge to body art. Do ponder where life will take you as many proffesions just do not fit with the whole "inking" culture.

I second this, think about the reputation that comes with tattoos, (hint: its not a good one)

we refer to tatoos here as "tramp stamps". I know that are moving more and more into acceptable culture but I'm an old fart in her early forties and personally can't stand them. I have many friends who have them ( who are very nice people) but invariably they have regretted them. Aside from the personal distaste thing reasons to consider are:

1. - forever is a very long time
2. - if them make a mistake- see 1. above
3. - inks fade over time and look dull and unapplealing after a few years ( see 1. above)
4. - if they dont sterilise their equipment properly there is a big risk of HIV, hepetitus and other lifelong blood desieses
5. - in this country you can't give blood after having a tatoo ( see 4. above)
6. - bodies change, weight gain in adult life is (almost) inevitable when you stop exercising so much and don't get me started on pregnancy, skin strteches and your gymnast could end up looking like a troll !
7. - have I mentiuoned that forever is a long time ? ;)

'Margo

Your back is a big place.

I live in a city where almost everyone has tattoos. Like, I know maybe a dozen adults who DON'T have them. But we're weird here-that just doesn't fly anywhere else.

The 10 year thinking rule is good. And I'd urge you to think of a smaller, less obtrusive place for it...somewhere that you can cover it OR let it show. There are situations where you can't be inked out, even if it does express your love of the best sport on earth.

I'll post a decenting opinion here. First of all let me say that tattoos or piercings in places that are visible with normal clothes on are a bad idea. Even though society is becoming more accepting, something that you can't cover up can cost you a job. And also, even shoulders or places that are generally covered up, think about maybe wearing a strapless wedding dress someday. Tatoos may be a lot of things, but "elegant" is not one of them. However, if you were my daughter and were of age and could afford it and wanted to mark some milestone in your life, I wouldn't necessarily tell you not to do it. As long as you go into it knowing that it will fade and that you won't always be the hard-bodied young thing you are now. Do your research. Reputable tatoo parlors are very particular about sterilization and such. Pick the location and the design carefully. As Margo said, forever is a long time.

And yes, I have a small dove on my left anke that I got just before my 21st birthday... Half my lifetime ago. Would I do it again? Probably not, but nor do I particularly regret it. It's a reminder of a different part of my life in the same way the scar on my leg is a reminder of when I lived in Africa and fell into an open sewer, and my stretch marks are a reminder of being pregnant with twins.

I personally want a small gymnast tattoo to represent all I have learned from this crazy sport, all the awesome memories, all the life lessons, all the friendships, etc. So I'm supporting your idea of the tattoo haha. But like everyone has said, it does last forever and later in life it may stretch, fade, whatever happens, just like everyone has said. But if you are completely sold, I'd do it:) I'm already considering getting one when I turn 18 :rolleyes: I doubt it will happen, but like I said I would love one to remind me of everything I've gone through and learned from.

I think it's fine that you want a gymnastic tattoo. Just don't put it on your lower back (since those are called tramp stamps). You're a gymnast, not an exotic dancer.

A tatt on your lower back regardless of your opinion will be seen as that.

Putting it on your bicep might be more acceptable and can easily be covered (as can a tramp stramp but if they get exposed that is what everyone will think it is no matter what kind of tattoo it is (even if it was a religious icon).

My one big exception to the no tatoo rule. If you make it to the Olympics, World Championships or the Ironman (or if I did- ha ha) Then I would get a tatoo where I could easily hide it. Chellsie Memmel has one on her foot from when she won world AA so she can see it when she trains. That I really like. A- Sac has one on her neck from the Olympics ( and a few others) I like the image but not the location .

MaryA pretty much said everything for me...

The only thing I want to add is that I am a little disappointed by some of the responses in this thread. That is totally fine if tattoos are not your personal preference, but I really hope some of you don't actually judge people as harshly as it sounds like you do from the tone of your posts. If you do, you are probably missing out on knowing some really great people. I don't think the majority of people with a tattoo are "trailer trash" nor do I think the majority of people without tattoos think that of those with them.

And I will tell you that I have a tattoo on my shoulder, not because it is relevant to my post, but because it is relevant to this thread ;]

Last edited:
I am not against tattoos if they really mean something to you. I have a friend with a purple ribbon tattoo that represents a relative that died from cancer. Just be careful of the placement.

MaryA pretty much said everything for me...

The only thing I want to add is that I am a little disappointed by some of the responses in this thread. That is totally fine if tattoos are not your personal preference, but I really hope some of you don't actually judge people as harshly as it sounds like you do from the tone of your posts. If you do, you are probably missing out on knowing some really great people. I don't think the majority of people with a tattoo are "trailer trash" nor do I think the majority of people without tattoos think that of those with them.

And I will tell you that I have a tattoo on my shoulder, not because it is relevant to my post, but because it is relevant to this thread ;]

I have quite a few friends with tasteful tatts, well done, well placed and located with a lot of thought. I have no issue with these, assuming you are an adult, can pay a good artist to do the job and put a tatt where it can be covered if you get an ultra conservative boss.

I also know some folk who really didn't think, or plan ahead and have some horror tatts. Those are the ones that I would put in the trailer trash category. You know like the ones on this blog BadTattoos.com : Tattoos : Page 1

I also don't like to see kids with tatts, and it does happen.

My friend got a tatoo and found out after she is allergic to the ink. Her foot has a permanent rash. That's one reason tatoo's make me nervous.
THIS! And any number of other health-related reasons that can go hand in hand with tattoos. I never had a desire to get a tattoo, but read an article once about how allergic reactions to ink can appear up to a year after the tattoo is done, not something I would choose to deal with.
I have numerous friends with tattoos that have some significance to them and don't view them negatively or judge them for that choice, and for their respective chosen professions they don't cause a problem, but I could see how they could if they decided to change their career path later in life. And I can also see how bodily changes associated with aging, having children, all of those things can make some of these tattoos look a little ridiculous. If you really feel that a tattoo is the way to go, I would suggest thinking long and hard about it, doing your research, and putting it in a location that is not likely to change substantially over time and is easy to cover (perhaps a foot/ankle).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back