Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
travel-meet-season-text.jpg

Are you planning out that travel meet for this season? Check out some great tips in our article by Jen Kula!

What Tips Do You Have For Travel Meets?​

I always book through the airline and sign up for all the points. Airline points, hotel points, etc.

Also, use a credit card that gets hotel/air points if possible.

Go grocery shopping when you arrive, and buy snacks and food that you can prepare in the room. (mini fridge/microwave) or travel with snacks if driving.

If you have an early morning session, check out the competition venue the night before. It will be less stressful for you and your gymnast the morning of the competition if you’re not worried about wrong turns and parking snafus.

We have enjoyed renting an airbnb before for multiple families. Is more homey than a hotel and the girls usually have a blast.
My family doesn't generally eat out, ever, so unless we're staying only a night or two at the most we're always in an airbnb.

Us too! So if we do stay in a hotel we do like the residence inn ones or ones with kitchens. So convenient!
We're always hunting for a hotel with a kitchen, but it seems to be a bust for most the the comps this season. We're just going to buy one of the big high end (e.g., $400 keeps ice cold for 10 days brands) coolers and pack/warm everything up. My wife recently bought some... I guess you'd call them... glass tupperware containers so we just pack individual meals for everyone and warm them up in the glass container.

Not ideal, but it's the best we've been able to make do.

Like the article mentioned, don't be afraid to drive!

Often people are surprised that we drive to meets that are 10 hours away. But we love seeing more of the country, not dealing with airlines, luggage, airports, not dealing with rentals, getting to bring the whole family, and being able to flex our travel schedule as needed. After flying this summer and getting stuck in the delay/cancellation nightmare, not ready to deal with that again.

A typical schedule would be leave after work on Thursday or Friday (depending on meet timing), drive 4 or 5 hours, stay the night at a hotel with a kitchen and pool. Sleep in and let the kids relax and play the next morning, get back on the road and finish the trip, in time to get to our destination around check in time.

Another benefit to this is we can bring whatever we can fit in the van with up - so snacks, food, gear, favorite pillows, you name it.

Often people are surprised that we drive to meets that are 10 hours away. But we love seeing more of the country, not dealing with airlines, luggage, airports, not dealing with rentals, getting to bring the whole family, and being able to flex our travel schedule as needed.
We do the same. I'd rather be in my own space with every comfort from home stowed away in the car than at the mercy, hassle, and expense of the airlines. It also makes for some great together time in the car and fun stops along the way - part of the fun of gymnastics meets for us has always been the mother-daughter road trips! I also think that it helps with overall enjoyment of competing and longevity in the sport when meets are about more than just the gymnastics. Besides cutting down the stress, years later we fondly recall the meets where we took pictures with a famous statue, slept in a tiny house, walked on the beach, stayed to cheer on friends in other sessions, etc.

Often people are surprised that we drive to meets that are 10 hours away. But we love seeing more of the country, not dealing with airlines, luggage, airports, not dealing with rentals, getting to bring the whole family, and being able to flex our travel schedule as needed. After flying this summer and getting stuck in the delay/cancellation nightmare, not ready to deal with that again.

A typical schedule would be leave after work on Thursday or Friday (depending on meet timing), drive 4 or 5 hours, stay the night at a hotel with a kitchen and pool. Sleep in and let the kids relax and play the next morning, get back on the road and finish the trip, in time to get to our destination around check in time.

Another benefit to this is we can bring whatever we can fit in the van with up - so snacks, food, gear, favorite pillows, you name it.
We’re the opposite! My kids don’t do long journeys well, even with stops so we’ll always fly if possible.

Reactions: JBS
If you have an early morning session, check out the competition venue the night before. It will be less stressful for you and your gymnast the morning of the competition if you’re not worried about wrong turns and parking snafus.
THIS! And buy a little breakfast the night before… A danish or some thing, because there’s gonna be no time for a sit down omelette

I bought this recently, and it's been really helpful for keeping track of all of her meet stuff. I hang her leotard and jacket. I put her scrunchies in one front pocket, hair stuff in another, and shoes in the other.

Kimbora Costume Dance Garment Bag with 3 Clear Zipper Pockets for Suits Dress Cover, Travel Storage & Competitions, Set of 2 (Black)​

Amazon product ASIN B07R7K8NYD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back