Parents Gymnastics vs. Homework

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My opinion might be slightly different but it’s bases on my own experience MANY years ago as a gymnast who wasn’t good at homework. My parents ended up pulling me due to a failing grade because of missing homework. I had to do ALL of the back homework (it was a lot ) to be allowed back at gym, if they would allow me back. I was out for quite awhile and did earn my way back. It didn’t matter, I still didn’t do homework. And two years later when I quit for my own reasons I still never did homework. And in college, I did horribly my first semester and then figured out exactly how much I had to do for decent grades and did exactly that much. I hate busy work, always have and homework was a bore for me because school came easily to me. I’m not saying my parents shouldn’t have pulled me - I’m not sure what they should have done. I’m just saying, it might have nothing to do with gymnastics and pulling her or working on time management might help zero, because it might not be an inability to manage time - just an inability to muscle through something she hates. You may face exactly the same battles whether she’s in gym or not. Just another perspective...

I don't think it is impossible to do upper level gymnastics and manage a full day at school. My kids (3 year level 9 and a will be a level 9 next year) have done it very successfully. Straight A's all the time. My older dd even did college classes half days and HS classes half days and made it work. I made sure they had a study hall. Every spare minute at school they worked on homework. And frequently 5-10 hours was spent on the weekends getting ahead and/or catching up. 20-22 hours a week in the gym, 25 minute commute each way.

But it isn't just my kids that can manage it. Our gym does not offer any sort of special program. All level 9/10 gymnasts practice after school 4 days a week and Saturday mornings. They all are making it work and have for years. It can be done.
Definitely not impossible with the right gym, school setting, and very organized kids. We have an hour or more commute each way plus the gyms over here have some limitations. I should have qualified my post by saying that under the right circumstances it can be done. We just don’t have ideal circumstances where we live.

This is why so many gymnasts homeschool or do online school. Up through grade 6, my gymnast was homeschooled. We basically did school 3-4 days a week in competition season, 5 full days off-season, and finished out over the summer. She switched to an online school after that. She still had some flexibility but still has a hard deadline each semester. Right now she's pushing to finish after being behind due to concussion and then meet travel, but she'll make it. If homeschooling or online school isn't an option, yeah.. what is said above. Gymnastics is a sacrifice. Life August-May is school and gym only, working in 'spare' moments here and there and weekends.. They do eventually learn to manage it all. I'd just say try to teach her that efficiency is her friend. Good luck

One thing I've done with my kids is to have them help control the hw situation and plan. Procrastination is the enemy! Ea of my kids has a wall wipe calendar so they can put assignments, tests, activities on there. Daily I suggest they write out what they need to do on a post it note (like I do) and cross it off as they go. It's kind of a big picture (calendar) little picture (post it) that helps keep them on task.

I'd also have a talk with your DD about reminding her that SHE needs to complete the work in order to STAY in gym. My youngest is highly motivated in her activity but not highly motivated about school. Funny, her grades are actually fantastic because she is a hard worker but in her mind school is in the way of her activity. When I reminded DD that she could be taken out of gym if she didn't put school first she finally figured it out and got the job done.

DD also had to do hw in the car so we would keep a lap desk with supplies in it so she could mentally prep with her moving desk, lol.

One thing I've done with my kids is to have them help control the hw situation and plan. Procrastination is the enemy! Ea of my kids has a wall wipe calendar so they can put assignments, tests, activities on there. Daily I suggest they write out what they need to do on a post it note (like I do) and cross it off as they go. It's kind of a big picture (calendar) little picture (post it) that helps keep them on task.

I'd also have a talk with your DD about reminding her that SHE needs to complete the work in order to STAY in gym. My youngest is highly motivated in her activity but not highly motivated about school. Funny, her grades are actually fantastic because she is a hard worker but in her mind school is in the way of her activity. When I reminded DD that she could be taken out of gym if she didn't put school first she finally figured it out and got the job done.

DD also had to do hw in the car so we would keep a lap desk with supplies in it so she could mentally prep with her moving desk, lol.

The lap desk for the car is a life saver! We're now on week two of a calendar that she and I make together that really micro-manages her workload and it's helping. She actually loves it; it makes her feel more in control. I'm hoping that if we keep this up through the end of the year, that she'll pick it back up in the fall with a positive attitude.

The lap desk for the car is a life saver! We're now on week two of a calendar that she and I make together that really micro-manages her workload and it's helping. She actually loves it; it makes her feel more in control. I'm hoping that if we keep this up through the end of the year, that she'll pick it back up in the fall with a positive attitude.

Didn’t read all the posts above. But in my opinion, you have to micromanage until it becomes a habit and it has to be consistent always.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back