Off Topic Gymnastics with glasses

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello, does anyone have any tips on how to wear glasses while doing gymnastics? I am severely nearsighted, and practically blind without my glasses. I did it for a while without them, but I don’t want to risk getting hurt because of my poor eyesight. I have tried to get contacts, but after the appointment wear you practice putting them in, I realized contacts were not going to work for me, at least not until I feel ready. Whenever I wear my glasses to practice they continually slide or fall off, and wearing them on trampoline is simply not an option. Should I just push through and force myself to try contacts again, or is there anything that could keep my glasses in place?
Thanks in advance!

I used to coach a girl who had a strap for her glasses and it worked great. Her mom even customized it with the gym's name and colors for meets. It was super cute.

You can get straps of lots of colors and materials depending on your needs. You can also get sports glasses that are extremely sturdy and made with a prescription. I wear contacts now, but here's a picture of an old pair of mine:

Attachments

• IMG_20230507_174155.jpg
    IMG_20230507_174155.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 51
My DD uses prescription sports glasses and has been using them for well over the past year. They are like goggles with a strap to keep it in place.
If she has any issues with them fogging up, she can put soap in them and then wipe it off before exercising. Works like magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really don't want glasses, keep trying with the contacts. It feels really weird at first, but you get used to putting them in. It took me a couple weeks of trying when I first got contacts as a kid.
Definitely this! I first got contacts when I was 8, it was definitely a learning curve. The same thing happened when I got a different type of contact at 14.

My daughter uses a strap. As long as the strap is reasonably tight the glasses stay on. It is also is important to make sure the glasses are properly fitted. Properly fitted glasses should stay on even when you are up-side-down. Morgan Hurd (former world champion, now at Florida I think) has glasses, so you are in good company!

I cannot get my daughter to agree to wear a strap. She has a lot of potential and I have always wondered if wearing glasses would make a difference for her. I think we are going to consider going down the contacts route next time we go back to the optometrist. She doesn't want to wear them all the time but I think its worth trying for gym.

It took 3 trips to the eye doc for my daughter to learn how to use contacts. And the third time, they let her bring some home even though she had not mastered taking them in and out. I think it was too much pressure and too dark at the optometrist for her to learn. once we were home, she had no problem taking them in and out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back