WAG Gymnasts: opinions of this jacket

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I am trying to choose a jacket that will be made available for purchase to team gymnasts only... A "team jacket", not a warm-up for meets. This one (see link below) comes in men's, women's and children's sizes. I assume that older girls would prefer something more tailored than the ones that just have a boxier "unisex" option, and there are very few jackets that are available for men, women, and children. It is wind/water resistant so it is more of a windbreaker than a warm-up jacket, though it still has the look of a "warm up." I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. A fleece jacket would be an option, but the gym has offered a fleece jacket for sale for several years now, available for purchase by parents, rec kids, etc. and I really want to have a jacket that is unique to the team.

Be brutally honest. If this was for sale to only gymnasts on your team for, say $45 (just a guess) in your team colors with your team logo on it (Would you want the logo on the front? The back? Both? Would you want your name on it?) would you want it/buy it/ask for it for Christmas? If not, or if you are on the fence, what would you like to see offered instead?

She Plays Sports, Inc. - Charles River 5954 4954 Womens Team Pro Jacket Adult Youth Girls Athletic Jackets Team Warm-Ups Training Sports Tops

Also, the guy at the clothing place is trying to sell me on putting reversible lacrosse "pinneys" on the fall clothing order form. Pinneys? Really? Isn't that just what you wear in gym class to show who is on the red team and who is on the blue team? He insists they are popular. I guess like this... Custom Lax Pinnies - Reversible Lax Pinnies

Should we offer them for sale? Would you buy one?

Many thanks.

Personally I like this kind of jacket, so yes, I would probably buy it or ask for it for Christmas/birthday. I think it would look best to either have the logo larger on the back or smaller on the front to the side, sort of between the white stripe and the zipper. I wouldn't buy the pinney, I've really only seen them worn in gym class.

My daughter would totally want one of the jackets. She loves anything team related, if there is an option to put her name on it, even better!

We actually have had stuff independently made so she could have something like this, so I love the idea of it being a team thing.

I would not purchase a non-mandatory team gymnastics jacket. And I don't think my daughter would want one. I am trying not to define her solely as a gymnast. As such, I try to keep any gymnastics apparel used solely for gymnastics related activities. If it is a mandatory team apparel and has a purpose, I have no problems purchasing it. But outside the gym, I want her wearing 'civilian' clothes. But I am certain there will be more people willing to purchase this jacket. I may be in the minority. If my daughter was just starting out in gymnastics, my opinion may be different. It is not a bad idea though. :)

Lastly, while a great majority LOVE their names imprinted anywhere, I am a little apprehensive. My daughter has her name on her gymnastics sweatsuit and I cannot tell you how many strangers have called her by her first name in public places. Some did not look too respectable. Don't mean to be a Debbie downer. Just my opinion.

My daughter is not here to ask, but based on her tastes, I think she would prefer a hoodie. I know I know just how many hoodies can they have, but she seems to really favor hoodies and sweats (when it comes to team sports or places she has been etc) over anything else. Her field hockey team did hoodies and sweat pants, and everyone bought them. Her track team did sweat pants and 3/4 zip sweatshirts and the sweat pants did well, the 3/4 zip did not, most didn't purchase. Her soccer team did hoodies and yes, we purchased them. We have a lot of hoodies lol!

As for the pinneys. Our girls wore them at nationals and she has since worn it. She has worn it with jean shorts, she has worn it with her bathing suit, she has worn it with soffees. It's actually kind of cute, and I did not vote for them, I would have preferred a tank top, but the girls seem to like them. Now, I'm not sure if that is something they would choose to buy, vs. this was part of a team uniform so to speak, and now they have it to wear.

As for me, would I purchase it? Well for Christmas I'd be inclined to purchase something if it was something she liked. So, if she liked it, I'd purchase it for Christmas.

I too would prefer hoodies. They seem more sporty if that makes sense. I also like pinneys. Not many people wear them and they are in fashion today (kind of) especially in the summer over a tank top (or maybe even a Leo on your way to gym) they're fun to wear.

my daughter has a Hoodie, a lot of the other girls have their first names on them but I have just her initial on hers (just so we know its hers). She has her full name on her shorts (Auntie bought them) but only get worn at practice. I too don't like random strangers knowing her name.

Number one son's school sports team has those kind of jackets. They are nice because the school ones are waterproof and as it never really get that cold here (usually 45o F in winter) they double up as a coat - cause it rains, a lot !

The pinnies is something we dont have over here, so can't comment.

I would prefer a hoodie too because to me that looks like a warm up jacket and I wear mine all the time. Another idea would be a yoga half zip type thing that a lot of older girls would probably like or a windbreaker. Hope this helped

I also think that a hoodie would be better, and more people would buy that. The jacket looks just like my old team warmup, which I wouldn't wear outside of gymnastics events. From what I've seen, pinnies are generally worn more by lacrosse players as a fashion statement, showing that they play lacrosse. I've never really understood the appeal other than that. Maybe some gymnasts would like them though?

When you say a hoodie, can you be more specific? Full-zip, half-zip, or pull-over? Fitted or boxy? Fleece or sweat-shirt material? Lightweight or heavy? And what about the logo? I guess you wouldn't want a back logo if the hood was going to hang down over it all the time? If you can, show me a pic of what your ideal "team jacket" would look like. Thanks!

I like a medium weight pullover hoodie thats baggy, I would even order a size too big, I've never been a huge fan of fitted sweatshirts. I actually have one from my team that did really well with sales, there's a big team logo on the front in the middle, and the back has the team name followed by the gymnast's name (optional for extra money). This year they are selling pullover hoodies that are "lace up" in the front, those have also been popular (although I didn't buy one).

When I say hoodie I mean like a pullover with the drawstrings. I like the loose fitting ones better, they look more casual and if you wear it out after gym practice in the cold, it doesn't cling to your skin (or sweat). Logos can go on the lower back or the front I guess. I like how it looks on the back better but yes, the hoodie may cover it. I typically don't wear the hood so if the thought that a hood will cover up the logo, you can always get a sweatshirt. However, I probably wouldn't buy one of those, I like how the hoodies look better and sweatshirts make me look like I have no neck. I know.

DD's old club hoodie

aspire hoodie embroydered.jpg

The hood falls just above the embroidery.

The current one is sweatshirt material too. Both have the front pocket to dig their hands into plus phone/mp3 pocket on the inside and headphone slit.

I don't like the jacket. Hooded sweatshirts will likely sell better. Also, I would sell to anyone at the gym interested in buying if this is some sort of fundraiser, not just the team.

My dd also prefers a hoodie. A little oversized with the pocket in front. We see a lot of swimteam kids wearing these and they have the club name/logo on the front and their last name on the back. My dd is always jealous of them and would definitely beg me to buy one if we had them.

She gave me an enthusiastic thumbs down on the pinney.

My club team did so many clothing pieces so I would not buy that. For college we got nice hooded sweatshirts with a quarter zip that were very popular. Every single person bought one. I'd definitely recommend the hooded sweatshirt with quarter zip if you really wanted to buy something. It looks really cool. I would not get the pinnie but I would recommend a tank top if you wanted another option. Overall, I wouldn't recommend selling anything. I love clothes and I would have begged my mom to buy me something like that when I was about 12, but now that I am in college I don't wear any of that stuff anymore!

I don't like the jacket. Hooded sweatshirts will likely sell better. Also, I would sell to anyone at the gym interested in buying if this is some sort of fundraiser, not just the team.
We sell a lot of different things that are available to parents, rec kids, etc. All manner of sweatshirts, sweatpants, fleeces, bags, etc. The goal with this was to have a special "for team members only" jacket. Something a little special which is why I'm trying to avoid just the standard pull-over sweatshirt (which we also offer).

Gymgymgymnast08 just reminded me, quarter zip sweatshirts! I got one from high school gymnastics and LOVE it. The inside is very soft, the gymnastics logo is on the front upper left, and the name of the gymnast is on the sleeve. They are fairly fitted, and have a pocket in the front, everybody LOVED them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back