Parents Gymnasts Who Homeschool

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3LittleGymmies

Proud Parent
I know that this can be a bit controversial.. but I wanted to ask for some advice. My daughter was a Level 4 last year and she is doing the "new" Level 4 this year (what was Level 5). She is an advanced practice group that does an extra day in addition to the regular Level 4 schedule, so she is at the gym 16 hours/week now. She is 8 and just started 3rd grade. She loves school, but she also loves gymnastics... and she has been feeling very conflicted and upset because she is "go go go" most days. By nature, she is very organized and responsible, almost to a fault. She is always thinking about what she needs to do, where she needs to be, what she needs to bring, when, etc. So I think her busy schedule must get her stressed out a bit. Her school day ends at 3:30, but the school dismisses bus riders before the children who are picked up, so even if I pick her up from school.. we end up getting home right when the bus would be coming anyway. The bus gets to our house at 4:00-4:10 and her practice (which is 10-15 minutes away) starts at 4:30. So I need to get everyone else in the car quickly while she races to change and inhales something to eat on the way to gym. And then she is there until 8:30 most days and still needs to do homework, shower, eat dinner, etc. I agree that it's a lot for an 8 year old, but she truly loves gymnastics and the skills she is able to do now compared to just a few months ago are amazing. We moved to a new state a few months back and to a new gym. Her old gym started a home school program right when we were moving (although they only have two girls doing it right now), but her new gym does not have one (I think it's because of the area we live in.. many children go to private schools, so perhaps home school wouldn't have an appeal here). She has been asking to home school, even though she loves school/being social because she doesn't want to have to rush rush rush every day. Which I can understand. She is also "gifted", and I can see how home school may be a benefit in that area, as well. But we have other small children at home and I am not so sure that I could home school her myself. If you home school your gymnast, when did you start? Do you do it yourself or do you use tutors? Does anyone use an online curriculum? How has your experience been? Did it put a lot of breathing room in your gymnast's day so that they could "just be kids"?

I homeschooled my DD for the balance that it brought. She was training an above-average number of hours from early age. We started homeschool at 1st grade and she was a level 4. She then competed level 5 as a second grader and a level 7 as a third grader. Homeschool allowed her to get the rest she needed, her schoolwork was outstanding and and her gymnastics benefitted greatly. There were downsides, but in our case, it was a great choice for our child. She is injured and not doing gym, so she is returning to public school this year. She was placed in gifted cluster and had a very happy and socially successful first day back-so homeschool didn't hurt her one bit:)

She was a Bridgeway Academy Student. You can look it up, many gymnasts use this curriculum. Challenging, with religious or secular options. It doesinvolve YOU teaching her (or finding someone who will) but the support was amazing and their placement tests accurately placed her appropriately in the different courses that were right for her. It also gave me a report card that made it easy to take her back to public school with.

We have homeschooled since kindergarten for reasons other than gymnastics but it has definitely helped dd with extra time. She is not a social butterfly so it has never really bothered her to not have that social piece in school. we do not use a boxed curriculum. We pick materials each year to fit what they need in each area. Our state is considering allowing an online charter school for next year and we may go that way since our kids are in middle school and the subjects are getting harder to teach, particularly science with all the lab work. I would definitely check into this in your state.

As for having younger ones at home, this can definitely be hard but you can make it work. If your dd is a hard worker and gifted, chances are she will do well with self learning. We eased into this with our kids starting in 3Rd grade and it has worked will. so, they do their math, reading, and writing mostly independently, with help as needed. The rest of the subjects are done through reading and projects, a lot of which are independent.

We have ways homeschooled. Having the balance and down time is a big bonus for sure. Your daughter sounds ideally suited since she's so organized and responsible. I can't imagine it would be more difficult with littles at home if she is so on top of things. With a little planning she can probably cruise through her lessons in just a few hours and do a lot of it on her own.

We use all sorts of different curriculums based on the needs of the child each year (I have three older kids all of which also homeschool). This year we are using buildyourlibrary.com and Rightstart Math - both of which I adore. She also does piano, Girl Scouts, an outside science class, Destination Imagination and a combined 15 hours of gym and dance each week. Believe it or not she has PLENTY of downtime thanks to homeschooling. She was just telling me today how balanced her life feels this fall. It sounds like a lot but it doesn't equate to the amount of time she would be wasting for a lot less education and fewer opportunities in school.

I like online public school options. In our area of Ohio, we can choose from Treca Digital Academy, k12, and Ohio Virtual Academy. For those in grades 7-12, I prefer TDA. I have some experience with their lower level programs and, while I like them, there is a lot more for the parent to do. Once the student is in junior high classes, it is easy to get the work done independently.

Neither of my gymmies does online schooling, but they have both begged to do it. I keep saying I won't talk to their dad about it until they are in 7th grade. Older gymmie wants to do it so she can graduate early. She is gifted, and we know from experience that even a below average student can progress quickly if they put in the work - because it is mastery based and anything you know can be tested out of. Not wasting valuable time on things you already know really does make a class go faster. She has it all planned out - 4 hours a day of school work, 5 days a week... get 2 years done in the first 6 months, lol.

Organized and responsible??? Sounds like a gymnast :)

I would recommend really thinking about the things that are a priority for your family. Would the main reason to homeschool be for gymnastics? From what you said, it sounds like it would, since gym is what's causing all the rushing and stress. If so, I'm not sure it would be a great idea at age 8/level 4. Maybe reconsider when she starts optionals. The she will have a few more years of competition under her belt, and you will know if she is really committed to the sport. Many girls quit between L4 and L6, and it would be too bad if you made this huge lifestyle change, and then it turns out she doesn't continue in the sport. Plus, in a few years your DD will be better able to evaluate the pro's and con's of homeschool for herself.

To solve the problem of her being rushed and go, go, go perhaps you should consider giving up the "extra" practice day. One extra weeknight at home can make big difference. I have kept my DD home occasionally when I felt she needed a break, and I have never regretted it. Your DD may be resistant to cutting back, but just tell her you are going to try it for 3 or 4 weeks, and see how it goes. She might find that she is actually performing better at the gym even with the reduced hours.

Could you pick her up from school and go straight to gym? This is what I do- If we come home first it's rush rush rush and very stressful. So I pick DD up at 3.30, with all her bags in the car.

It usually means we get to gym half an hour early, so she has time to sit down, have a packed lunch, maybe do a bit of homework, get changed, and generally chill with her friends until it's time to go in.

Speaking of homework, can't you arrange it so she can get it done on her nights off or at weekends? DD is 4th grade now and only has an hour or so a week, I can't believe a 3rd grader would need to do homework every night?

Also, call me scuzzy but I don't make mine shower that late at night. She's 8, so not got developed sweat glands yet.

Make use of mornings if you can-maybe she could shower in the morning, or do her homework then?

Food wise I make sure they get a good breakfast, and they have a school hot dinner, so before and after practice is sandwiches, cereal bars, maybe some quick pasta or cereal when she gets in. So practice finishes at 8, and she's in bed by 8.30. A new trick we've developed is if she's really hungry, DH will call me from the gym, and I'll cook something so it will be on the table when she gets in.

We find this means days off are proper days off, so she can go play at a friends, go to the cinema etc without worrying about anything "needing" to be done.

ETA: homeschooling isn't common at all here (UK), so most of our athletes, right up to elite, still go to school, albeit maybe on a modified schedule.

I was also wondering why not pick her up and take her straight to gym. At our gym all the younger kids come straight from school because schools finish at 3:00 and classes start at 3:30. The older kids take a bus straight to the gym from school.

Definitely go straight from school to the gym. Last year, my kids would get off the bus at the end of my driveway, but I would park the car at the end of the driveway and we would go straight to the gym for DS, without going in the house. Once they're in the house, it's a huge time waster!!

Faith, in the U.S., it is common for kids to get homework every night, even in the lower grades, although it usually is minimal. There is also some difference w/teachers giving homework at the beginning of the week and allowing a whole week to complete it, and those that give homework daily and expect it back the next day. We have never had the former - hoping that is the way it goes for DD this year!!

We have homeschooled since my oldest (21 this month!) was itty bitty; so we don't do it because of gymnastics, but because that is what we do. One of the reasons we chose homeschooling was to give our children the opportunity to have more time just being kids while going their own pace, depth, breadth academically and following their interests.

I don't know if I'd jump right into homeschooling because she feels rushed with her current schedule. I would first try to see if I could alleviate that with some adjustments to the end of the day..you say the bus riders are dismissed first, well they were in my kids school too so I made arrangements to go into the office and "meet her" for dismissal every day, and she was out 20 minutes ahead of the "crossers and walkers" ...doesn't sound like much but it might be just the little bit she needs...

I also would speak to her teacher about giving her blocks of her homework that she might be able to complete over the weekend ( thus freeing up more of her weeknight time)... my kids (and my carpool kids) always did homework in the car (to and from...I rode with all the lights on!!) so we used that time , and I always fed them their dinners in the car on the way home so basically by the time we arrived at their doors, they walked in and went to bed (some showered , but point being they were ready to go to bed).

Unfortunately, I don't think picking her up would save us much time. They do not dismiss the car line kids until after the bus kids.. so depending on where I was in the line, she would be getting in the car only about 5 or so minutes before she would normally get home. The gym is about the same distance from the school as our home. It is also difficult because I would be picking up four children and would also have my two little ones and the toddler who I provide childcare in the car. So they couldn't just hop in and go.. I would need to get out and do a lot of loading up to get everyone in the Suburban. I *am* considering trying it, but I would need to be in the front of the line every day in order for it to work. We'll see! Our gym does have a bus that goes from her school to the gym (it's really for the kids who go there for after school care).. but it's some crazy amount like $400 a month.. again, because it's not really intended for this purpose.

She definitely needs to shower at night.. she stinks after gym :).

Her teacher does homework nightly, not weekly. I have talked to her teacher about her doing all of her homework on her off nights and weekends. She seemed confused and resistant.. I don't think most teachers are used to having "kids" with a schedule like this!

As far as giving up her extra day, I just don't think I can do that to her! She knows that it's a privilege to get to do it (not all of the girls are, only a few) and that she worked hard to earn it. I don't think I can take that away from her.

We probably wouldn't home school if she wasn't a gymnast. We wouldn't have a real reason to. Her school is great and I have no inner desire to school her differently. BUT I can see that it would be a positive thing for her schedule as well as for her academics since she could work at a faster pace than she can in the classroom, and spend some extra time on subjects that she is really interested in. Even though she is in the gifted program, special reading group, etc... there is still a lot of busy work and time spent waiting around in the classroom. I have mentioned home schooling to her before (as in.. such and such gymnast is doing home school now) and she has never expressed any interested in doing it until now. And when she says, "mom, I could do all of my school work and have a ton of time left to do other things before gym and I wouldn't have to rush!"... I can't really argue with her, because it's true. She would have a lot more down time and rest.

Sometimes, I am not sure how she does what she does. I could not get up early, go to school all day, do a hard core work out all night, go to bed late, and repeat the next day! Gymnasts are tough cookies!

As far as what kind of home school.. it doesn't look like our state has a K12 program, but I may contact the school district just to make sure. There are a few programs that others have recommended that look really neat. We are really going to consider EVERYTHING before making a decision as big as this. I appreciate all of the great information and advice!

@bookworm, if I could sign her out early/meet her in the office - I totally would! But it seems like it would be really difficult to bring 3 kids in and pick up 4 kids in the office every day, though. And I am not so sure that the school would allow it.

As far as what kind of home school.. it doesn't look like our state has a K12 program, but I may contact the school district just to make sure. There are a few programs that others have recommended that look really neat. We are really going to consider EVERYTHING before making a decision as big as this. I appreciate all of the great information and advice!

Have you considered a modified school day? Pick her up at lunch or something like that and then home school 1 or 2 subjects? This could give her more time, but it will depend on what her current schedule looks like (what classes does she have after lunch?) and if the district would be willing to accommodate her. Then the other kids could come home on the bus and you could go to the gym at the same time, but she wouldn't be rushed.

I would have never thought it even 3 years ago, but I do think that home school is in our future too. DD is in 4th grade at a very hard and competitive school and they have a lot of homework (assigned nightly). Right now, our plan is to keep her there thru 8th grade and we will home school high school. Where we live, public HS is really not an option so whatever she does will be private or independent, but I find myself leaning towards a more flexible option. She is also gifted and spends a lot of her day doing things that don't really benefit her. Even without gymnastics, I think that would be the best option for her educationally so my mindset has changed based upon what I know my kid needs.

Good luck to you in your decision!

Unfortunately, I don't think picking her up would save us much time. They do not dismiss the car line kids until after the bus kids.. so depending on where I was in the line, she would be getting in the car only about 5 or so minutes before she would normally get home. The gym is about the same distance from the school as our home. It is also difficult because I would be picking up four children and would also have my two little ones and the toddler who I provide childcare in the car. So they couldn't just hop in and go.. I would need to get out and do a lot of loading up to get everyone in the Suburban. I *am* considering trying it, but I would need to be in the front of the line every day in order for it to work. We'll see! Our gym does have a bus that goes from her school to the gym (it's really for the kids who go there for after school care).. but it's some crazy amount like $400 a month.. again, because it's not really intended for this purpose.

She definitely needs to shower at night.. she stinks after gym :).

Her teacher does homework nightly, not weekly. I have talked to her teacher about her doing all of her homework on her off nights and weekends. She seemed confused and resistant.. I don't think most teachers are used to having "kids" with a schedule like this!

As far as giving up her extra day, I just don't think I can do that to her! She knows that it's a privilege to get to do it (not all of the girls are, only a few) and that she worked hard to earn it. I don't think I can take that away from her.

We probably wouldn't home school if she wasn't a gymnast. We wouldn't have a real reason to. Her school is great and I have no inner desire to school her differently. BUT I can see that it would be a positive thing for her schedule as well as for her academics since she could work at a faster pace than she can in the classroom, and spend some extra time on subjects that she is really interested in. Even though she is in the gifted program, special reading group, etc... there is still a lot of busy work and time spent waiting around in the classroom. I have mentioned home schooling to her before (as in.. such and such gymnast is doing home school now) and she has never expressed any interested in doing it until now. And when she says, "mom, I could do all of my school work and have a ton of time left to do other things before gym and I wouldn't have to rush!"... I can't really argue with her, because it's true. She would have a lot more down time and rest.

Sometimes, I am not sure how she does what she does. I could not get up early, go to school all day, do a hard core work out all night, go to bed late, and repeat the next day! Gymnasts are tough cookies!

Yes, homeschooling would allow less rushing, etc., but I wouldn't do it if you are only doing it because DD is a gymnast. Like a previous poster said, this is a huge life change that would be made for one reason only, and she could quit gym tomorrow.

As for the extra day and not wanting to drop it, personally, I would have a talk with her and explain that it may need to go if she is too stressed out/unable to handle homework, etc. I know it's a lot at a young age....my DD is in the same boat, but we just make adjustments to make it work. I fantasize about all the time we would have if we homeschooled, but for me, that's not a big enough reason to homeschool. Just my two cents.

I probably should have clarified what "stressed" meant. She is not unable to do any of the things she needs to do... BUT because of her super organized/anal/responsible personality, in the morning she is already going over what needs to happen at this time and that time, and so on because she knows her day is jam-packed. I try to tell her not to stress out and to take it one thing at a time, but I know she will just keep doing it in her brain. :) She has always been that way but it wasn't as big of a deal last season when she was doing 9 hours because she had practice from 6-9 and her old school ended their day at 2:19.

I like the idea of her leaving school early.. I am just not so sure that they would go for that. It may be worth a try. I already tried the PE thing.. but only the high schools allow that, apparently. :(

does she have her own desk calendar or something that she can track her schedule and school work/tests? Might not seem like much if she "knows" what she needs to do, but it maybe give her a sense of control over it that may calm her a bit.

I would also maybe have her bag and snack in the car and not go in the house when she gets off the bus. That can make things more stressful...if she changes and eats at the gym, she might wind up with a bit more downtime.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back