Parents Gymrep?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD's teammate went last year. I'm told she had a lot of fun but the food was terrible. I know a lot of gyms from the area send their teams there so can be tough to get an individual spot.

My kids went for years, many years. They loved it. Great coaching and activities. But yes, the food sucked. We took my veggie kid food to supplement their offerings. Feel free to ask me questions.

My kids went for years, many years. They loved it. Great coaching and activities. But yes, the food sucked. We took my veggie kid food to supplement their offerings. Feel free to ask me questions.

The camp looks like great fun and my dd really wants to go. She's 10 and would be going alone. She was on the waitlist and I got a msg on Friday that she's got into her first choice week. So now I have to decide if I'm going to send her or not.

What about the food is so terrible? My dd has nut allergies so I worry about food a lot. Also, we don't live in Canada so I would drop her off and then go back to the US. So I wouldn't be able to bring her food. Were your kids grouped by age or level for training? What about in the dorms? Did you pay for the pvt/semi pvt lessons? If you did were they worth it? Would she need a ton of spending money? Anything I should know before making my decision?

Thank you!!!!!

Mine went at 7 alone, had a blast.

Rooms are small and they put them by age group. So very easy to make friends. They also keep the under 12's in a separate part of the dorm to the older kids. Earlier bedtimes and more supervision etc.

Do not pay for privates, they have lots of work out time, and there are fun things to do otherwise.

You can pick up groceries in Canada easily, but pretty much anything but fruit and veg can be brought over the border from the US. I emailed the camp about the food issues and labelled the foods and took them to the cafeteria myself. She got what was intended at each meal. There is a menu available if you ask too.

For training they are grouped by ability. After the first days training they may shuffle them about a bit to ensure a better, and safer, fit. The camp has amazing spotting, two coaches at most stations, kids are kept busy and safe.For spending money there is the Forbidden Zone, that sells treats and ice cream etc. Maybe $10 a day would be more than enough.

If she has a talent that she wants to share they have a fun talent show. SO a dance, or singing etc

It is usually a good mix of French and English kids. They get taught the camp hand signals that are very handy in a noisy gym with multiple languages.

GymRep was a BLAST (!!!) as a kid. I went for 2 maybe 3 years. - and I wish I learned about the camp sooner and participated more!

The amount of gymnastics & spotting & coaching is fabulous. For example: You want to try a doubleback on trampoline with bungees?? they will put 3 coaches under you and a coach on the pullies and spot you to learn that doubleback. I never felt unsafe, and I tried SO many new skills that I likely would have never tried elsewhere. Coaches were amazing!!

There was the tuck shop where you could buy junkfood and slushies and stuff.

In between morning & afternoon gym sessions you could sign up for outdoor activities (rock climbing, swimming, bike riding, catapult: .......etc and you can change it up each day).

Evening for the older kids you could do campfire and 'scary' walks in the forest (obviously guided by counselors).

I don't remember food being terrible - I ate no problem, I am not too picky of an eater.

I don't know if they still do "le feu ca brule" which is a fench song with a dance and actions and it is SOOO fun when all training comes to a halt and the whole camp belts the song - you pick up on it really quick (even if you don't speak french!)

My memories and experience of this camp are nothing but positive. I know many people that still coach there, and I actually, to this day, I am in contact with one of the coaches that coached me on the rod floor rotation and helped me learn how to do standing tumbling for cheer the summer I transitioned from gymnastics to cheerleading.

The language barrier is totally feasible - I don't speak a word of french and never had an issue!

If you have any other questions I would be happy to do the best I can to answer them!! (bearing in mind it has been approximately 10 years since I attended this camp. YIKES!)

They get taught the camp hand signals that are very handy in a noisy gym with multiple languages.

Yes I forgot about this!!

The gym is entirely outside (covered) and they have tarps they can draw in bad weather. Makes for a fun training environment.

But there are motions/hand signals for "spot, no spot, a little spot, flipping, setting.. etc" and they come especially useful when you're standing at the end of a vault strip or rod floor or tumble track.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back