WAG Gyms in SE suburbs of Boston?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks! It would be a stretch from a couple of the towns we're looking at but not far at all from one of them!
(I wonder if either of the judges you're talking about is one of my DD's old coaches. She judges all over the place in MA and it is super tough....my DD misses her terribly!)

i don't know that either were coaches but bars was debbie - short red hair. beam was kathy - medium length blonde hair. they both come to our gym each fall before meet season starts and critique the girls so our girls know them well. debbie critiques the younger girls and kathy the older girls. my dd gets excited to see either one. she says they are tough but fair and what you earn as a score, you've earned it.

debbie gave out 10 9's on bars yesterday - out of 68 girls.
kathy gave out 12 9's on beam out of 68 girls.
the vault judges were a little more generous (26) and the floor judges were giving out 9s like candy. haha.

kathy actually showed up at the meet in manhattan and our level 9s got her on bars or beam. whichever one it was, they were getting low scores across the board. i look for those two judges at every meet we go to so i know to expect really low scores on whatever event they are on! although my dd got a 9.375 last year on bars with both kathy and debbie on bars together. she was super excited. haha .

Good luck to you, 2gymkids! Based on my own experiences, if you find a gym where your DD thrives, it is worth every minute you spend in the car to get her there. GLC in Shrewsbury has wonderful coaches who push their girls to excel while keeping gymnastics fun. 10.0 in Stowe does an amazing job encouraging team spirit. The girls really do support and encourage each other. Elite in Ashland is also an excellent gym. I have not had much contact with them, but the few interactions my daughter and I have had with coaches, gymnasts and parents have been extremely positive.

@e'smum I totally know who the redhead is! I remember going to a big meet last year and she was judging bars. One of the moms on DD's L3 team has an upper level optional as well, and she warned us to expect tough scoring on bars! She was very fair, though.

i don't know that either were coaches but bars was debbie - short red hair. beam was kathy - medium length blonde hair. they both come to our gym each fall before meet season starts and critique the girls so our girls know them well. debbie critiques the younger girls and kathy the older girls. my dd gets excited to see either one. she says they are tough but fair and what you earn as a score, you've earned it.

debbie gave out 10 9's on bars yesterday - out of 68 girls.
kathy gave out 12 9's on beam out of 68 girls.
the vault judges were a little more generous (26) and the floor judges were giving out 9s like candy. haha.

kathy actually showed up at the meet in manhattan and our level 9s got her on bars or beam. whichever one it was, they were getting low scores across the board. i look for those two judges at every meet we go to so i know to expect really low scores on whatever event they are on! although my dd got a 9.375 last year on bars with both kathy and debbie on bars together. she was super excited. haha .

Ha! Yep, Deb is my DD's old coach. She had her as an itty bitty in parent-tot and then for four straight years from advanced rec up through her L3 season. DD still hasn't recovered from her leaving, lol. She's the same as a coach- super tough but fair, and loves her girls fiercely. " Let me guess, she was wearing a scarf? :)

Good luck to you, 2gymkids! Based on my own experiences, if you find a gym where your DD thrives, it is worth every minute you spend in the car to get her there. GLC in Shrewsbury has wonderful coaches who push their girls to excel while keeping gymnastics fun. 10.0 in Stowe does an amazing job encouraging team spirit. The girls really do support and encourage each other. Elite in Ashland is also an excellent gym. I have not had much contact with them, but the few interactions my daughter and I have had with coaches, gymnasts and parents have been extremely positive.

Thanks!! DD is both nervous and excited to move, but one of her teammates mom's gave me hope (she's a former gymnast and coach) when she said "nobody works harder than your DD. She'll be fine wherever she ends up." She loves her teammates like sisters and they are so encouraging of each other, so I really hope we can find a similar environment!

Ha! Yep, Deb is my DD's old coach. She had her as an itty bitty in parent-tot and then for four straight years from advanced rec up through her L3 season. DD still hasn't recovered from her leaving, lol. She's the same as a coach- super tough but fair, and loves her girls fiercely. " Let me guess, she was wearing a scarf? :)

doesn't she always wear a scarf? lol

yes, she is fair. that is why my dd loves having her judge. she knows going into it to expect a tough score but she also knows she's fair. there's no questioning her judging ability and if she's playing favorites, because she's not.

@e'smum I totally know who the redhead is! I remember going to a big meet last year and she was judging bars. One of the moms on DD's L3 team has an upper level optional as well, and she warned us to expect tough scoring on bars! She was very fair, though.

if she ever changes her hair style/color, i'm screwed! that's how i know it's her. :p

If you don't mind, I'd like to hijack this stream for help. We will be moving from NJ to MA (most likely North of Boston buy have looked in the SE as well...we haven't yet found a home) at the end of June. I have 2 gymnasts a level 8 (9yo) and a level 2 (6yo). It stinks were missing some of the upgrade season but our current coaches are being great to ensure they're ready. It's hard to find a gym that is good at both compulsory and optionals. I'd value any PMs or insights as well. Thank you in advance for any help steering us in the right direction.

If you don't mind, I'd like to hijack this stream for help. We will be moving from NJ to MA (most likely North of Boston buy have looked in the SE as well...we haven't yet found a home) at the end of June. I have 2 gymnasts a level 8 (9yo) and a level 2 (6yo). It stinks were missing some of the upgrade season but our current coaches are being great to ensure they're ready. It's hard to find a gym that is good at both compulsory and optionals. I'd value any PMs or insights as well. Thank you in advance for any help steering us in the right direction.
If you are north of Boston, you may be in proximity to Brestyan's. Large teams, but excellent gym.

I do not recommend GLC at all. They got rid of their two top coaches this season and don't have anyone left that excels at coaching. Their team placements will continue to drop. There has already been a significant loss of confidence and skill for the girls at the gym. The owner is also not a coach and completely out of touch with the team and only cares about the $$ in her pocket. The gym is also over crowded with rec kids if you are interested in team.

I do not recommend GLC at all. They got rid of their two top coaches this season and don't have anyone left that excels at coaching. Their team placements will continue to drop. There has already been a significant loss of confidence and skill for the girls at the gym. The owner is also not a coach and completely out of touch with the team and only cares about the $$ in her pocket. The gym is also over crowded with rec kids if you are interested in team.

Did Tanya leave too? Any ideas where she is now?

Read the thread about Mihai to get a sense of Brystyans and other gyms in the area.

There are many good gyms north of Boston, but it's hard to suggest anything without knowing the exact location. Like how far North? Within 95, or further north?

Brestyan's is definitely a good option for level 8 (if nothing changes there). For level 2 I would probably look for something smaller and more personal.

There are many good gyms north of Boston, but it's hard to suggest anything without knowing the exact location. Like how far North? Within 95, or further north?

Brestyan's is definitely a good option for level 8 (if nothing changes there). For level 2 I would probably look for something smaller and more personal.
Thanks. Most likely Lexington/Sudbury areas.

Hit the button too fast. What would you consider smaller,and more personal. Hopefully she'll be competing level 3 next year if she gets her skills; she competed 2 this season.

Brestyan's has huge level 1-2-3 teams, around 20 girls per level. I just think it's easy to get lost in such big groups. For 6 year old I would want to have smaller gymnast-coach radio.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back