Gyms that are open

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Overhere (Netherlands) government has made a statement that sports for kids under 12 are oké, 12-18 only if 1.5m distance is kept between athletes and ONLY outside. Means all gyms are supposed to be closed till september 1st. Many gyms now offer an outside program for their teams. We see lots of videos from tumble tracks and floor beams on the parking lots outside the gyms or on sport fields, local playgrounds, etch Must say that many gyms are very creative! Luckily, the weather has been brilliant so far, but wondering how this will work if we go back to typical weather. People are petitioning to open sports facilities again though, since restaurants re-open for max.30 guests on june 1st, this could work for gyms as well.

Wow... super interesting... I've heard so many different things on how stuff like this would be handled.
I just want to note that the gym she is referring to is in a state that has a current stay at home order. They were open in violation of the governor's order and in a state where nothing but essential places were open. They KNEW what they were doing.

My gym is reopening to team in phases but allowing rec back at a breakneck rate. I feel safer letting DD go to team practices (small numbers, spread out) than later next month when rec starts back up.

I just want to note that the gym she is referring to is in a state that has a current stay at home order. They were open in violation of the governor's order and in a state where nothing but essential places were open. They KNEW what they were doing.

Right... but I am in a state that has more than one sheriff stating that they will not be enforcing things...

Right... but I am in a state that has more than one sheriff stating that they will not be enforcing things...

Would you attend a gym that was open in violation of state executive order? I would not.

Would you attend a gym that was open in violation of state executive order? I would not.
This is an excellent point. We’re in NY, so we’re nowhere close to being open, but obviously Puma Jr desperately wants to get back as soon as possible. We told her that it will have to be when it’s legal AND we feel comfortable with it. I do think that our gym will be on the same page as us though anyway.

I would not... but I know many that would. In Racine county (where I grew up)... most places are rural... so the sheriff's dept. is the only "law" people know or care about.

By the way... my wife is from New York and half of her family still lives there about 45 minutes from downtown on Long Island. My cousin and her family live downtown... however... they are not staying in the city right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: sce
On another note, doesn’t USAG have a code of conduct that would apply to gyms opening against the law? Not grey areas like “gyms” can be open but actually opening while there is a current stay at home order? If I owned a gym I wouldn’t risk having USAG yank my membership for this.

On another note, doesn’t USAG have a code of conduct that would apply to gyms opening against the law? Not grey areas like “gyms” can be open but actually opening while there is a current stay at home order? If I owned a gym I wouldn’t risk having USAG yank my membership for this.

Given how slow USAG is to respond to serious complaints against coaches, it's hard to believe they'd really go after clubs.

I'd love a May 18 return but we definitely won't be back before June. It's getting SO hard.
Coaches in Illinois are trying to get more details on what stage they might be allowed to open. It may not be until late June/early July, best case scenario. The wording in our ‘reopen’ stages doesn’t mention youth sports specifically, at all. Since we are opening in regions, and opening depends on testing numbers and hospitalization rates, the gyms in the region with Chicago in it could possibly stay closed until fall. :(

Coaches in Illinois are trying to get more details on what stage they might be allowed to open. It may not be until late June/early July, best case scenario. The wording in our ‘reopen’ stages doesn’t mention youth sports specifically, at all. Since we are opening in regions, and opening depends on testing numbers and hospitalization rates, the gyms in the region with Chicago in it could possibly stay closed until fall. :(

Could any gym survive that financially?

Reactions: sce

That sucks! I'm pretty sure my state governor is coordinating with yours on a regional opening. I can't wait until fall.

Reactions: SMH
That sucks! I'm pretty sure my state governor is coordinating with yours on a regional opening. I can't wait until fall.

I don’t know what state you are in but so far all the states in the ‘Midwest group’ to reopen aren’t coordinating much of anything at all. Perfect example- Indiana has steps and plans to be ‘fully’ open by July 4th- Illinois won’t open fully until there is a vaccination or treatment. Huge difference.

I don’t know what state you are in but so far all the states in the ‘Midwest group’ to reopen aren’t coordinating much of anything at all. Perfect example- Indiana has steps and plans to be ‘fully’ open by July 4th- Illinois won’t open fully until there is a vaccination or treatment. Huge difference.

That's true. They did start as a "group" and quickly switched to individual plans.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back