habit blocks, body mastery, air awareness - help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kaha

Gymnast
A problem that I often have is being unable to fight certain unconscious habits. I'm not talking about flailing my arms when I bounce (though I do that too). I'm talking about things like physical blocks: e.g., being able to do either front fulls or rudis, but never both on the same day. Accidentally doing 3/4 back instead of back-pullover to stomach. When this happens, my brain goes black. I have no idea what's going on because I'm thinking one thing and doing another. I end up in a totally unexpected position without knowing how I got there, which is obviously a bad thing.

I'd call this problem a mental block, but it's not because I'm afraid, but because I've had certain habits so ingrained that I automatically do it. This is particularly dangerous now since I just took a year-long break from gymnastics and can't go to regular classes. So, when I do go to the gym, I'd like to take the chance to have true control over my body. I don't feel good about progressing forward when I can't properly do everything I've already learned. If this physical block happens during a big skill ...

I need some sort of change in mindset and a change in how I practice, but I don't know what it is. Please, help! I want to be able to do gymnastics again without worrying about the habits that were supposed to help me, not hurt me. What can I do in and/or out of the gym to improve my control and awareness?

This sounds very similar to what the Trampolinist Byrony Page went through. There is a great video about her on YouTube.

First, I think this is common. For example I know in artistic gymnastics they can get a case of the twisties and not be able to stop twisting when they are intending to do a straight layout, for example.

I think the best way is to go all the way back to the beginning. Start with straight jumps soend time getting comfortable and work your way up. The stinker is you have to be patient and not rush through it.

You'll need to go back and retrain your brain.

You said your not at a structured class? Or you just were away from practice for a year? Make sure you have a good coach guiding you along this process. You need to be able to trust your safety and not having a coach nearby with a mat will only make this process more difficult. Safety first!

I'm glad to see a post here on T&T. Good luck to you and don't fret, this is only a minor setback. You're still an amazing athlete!

This sounds very similar to what the Trampolinist Byrony Page went through. There is a great video about her on YouTube.

First, I think this is common. For example I know in artistic gymnastics they can get a case of the twisties and not be able to stop twisting when they are intending to do a straight layout, for example.

I think the best way is to go all the way back to the beginning. Start with straight jumps soend time getting comfortable and work your way up. The stinker is you have to be patient and not rush through it.

You'll need to go back and retrain your brain.

You said your not at a structured class? Or you just were away from practice for a year? Make sure you have a good coach guiding you along this process. You need to be able to trust your safety and not having a coach nearby with a mat will only make this process more difficult. Safety first!

I'm glad to see a post here on T&T. Good luck to you and don't fret, this is only a minor setback. You're still an amazing athlete!

I was away from practice for a year, and now I have the opportunity to occasionally go to the gym.

Good advice about returning to the basics, and thank you for mentioning Bryony Page (sad to say I haven't heard of her 'til now). I do think the case of the twisties is common (at least, it was in my gym) but it sucks every time, especially in meet season. Patience is difficult ... but I suppose there's no getting around that.

Until I'm trained again, I guess it's drills, drills, and more drills for me.

Thank you for the advice. Do you have any suggestions for air awareness drills?

I don't, I'm just a parent, not a coach. But I hope you can speak with one of your coaches and tell them what is going on and they can break skills back down for you. Good luck as you build it all back!

I don't, I'm just a parent, not a coach. But I hope you can speak with one of your coaches and tell them what is going on and they can break skills back down for you. Good luck as you build it all back!
Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back