Coaches Had a "eureka" moment on clearhips, wanted to share and get feedback

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I tried this with some of my (training) level 4s and 5s today and they got it! It noticeably improved the L5s clear hips. They were surprised how it felt to pull and drop aggressively. Even some of the training L4s who have only played with clear hips and are mostly working on cleaning up kips and tap swings managed to do some decent clear hips.

Thanks.

I tried it yesterday with my level 4s too. Some of them did start to get it near the end. We're not trying clear hips yet other than in straps but we'll see if it improves those tomorrow.

Initially, after quickly watching the video, I thought you were pushing the bar down and pulling it toward you. Now that I see you are pulling it up and toward you, it makes perfect sense and I'll definitely give it a try. Looks like a great drill, as long as the girls are trying to bend the bar in the correct direction. Thanks for sharing :)

How often and how much to see improvement? We tried clear hips on a real bar for the first time today (with spot) and they were definitely timid in their drop. I did remind them of the drill but it didn't seem to help. Clear hips on strap bar are getting slowly better.

I'm still experimenting to figure out the bast way to work it into the progression. Probably going to revamp my free hip progressions pretty significantly for future groups.

Just to share..
I had my 4's do it (we used a spring board since that was the closest thing we had to a tramp) and one of my girls pulled back and then went straight forward into basically a front hip circle except she hit the top of her forehead on the spring board.. :(
But besides this small incident it went well and I definitely have seen a little improvement in their drops!

Just to share..
I had my 4's do it (we used a spring board since that was the closest thing we had to a tramp) and one of my girls pulled back and then went straight forward into basically a front hip circle except she hit the top of her forehead on the spring board.. :(
But besides this small incident it went well and I definitely have seen a little improvement in their drops!
==
oh no! Hope she is okay!!!

Looks fun and easy. On a side note... This is my first time teaching clear hips from the beginning, and I was wondering how you introduce them to your gymnasts

Hammy, though I have taught many clear hips before it has been a few years because I've had a group of old 4s, then old 4s and 5s, then new 4s. We did some work on them during the season but now that's what we're mostly focusing on. Here's what we're doing:
Backward rolls with the Forster bar (some girls go down a cheese, some go up depending on capability)
Bounce to clear hip support on tumble track bar
Clear hips in straps (to a wall or trap, shooting for 10 in a row)
Alternating this mini tramp drill with cast drop to back
About once a week I let them try them on the real bar with a spot
We've been doing this for about a week and a half and I've seen some improvement, but it's slow. They are decent in straps but timid when they get to the real bar.

Nice, I think it would be useful in those first few stages of the clear hip and could easily be done as a side station besides back ext rolls with a wedge and forster bar, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back