Parents Had Parent-Coach Conference Today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
And the bottom line is big DD will be L8 and little DD will stay at L5 another year.

Big DD's problem is she's "lazy". She is happy being average. She does what comes naturally and easily for her - in school, at the gym. If she would apply herself at the gym, she could be so much better. Beam coach said she is doing great, she works really hard on beam. Bars - they need to re-teach her giants (not shifting her wrists). Vault - she does ok but she would do better if her run was faster, and this has been a problem since day 1. Out in the open, she is fast. Put a vault table in front of her and she doesn't know what to do. The coaches attended a class at Congress to teach running/vaulting skills & drills. Everyone agrees though that she needs to have some motivation so I told them that I am allowing her to do cheering w/her school friends as incentive to work harder at the gym. I think the coaches were stunned, but I assured them that cheering will not interfere with gymnastics.

Little Monkey has almost all of her Level 6 skills and some L7 skills, but because of her age & size they've decided to keep her at 5 for another year. They expect ALOT from her this year, and think that she will be happier with kids closer to her age. They said alot of nice things and we all agreed that there is no need to push her up. If you recall, she had a rough start and it wasn't until the end of the season that things really picked up for her. They say she is enjoying being something of a "pack leader" to the new Level 4s & 5's, LOL.

OK, I'll stop rambling now....

Sounds like a great plan for both. My DS sounds like our Big DD. He excels in school w/o trying. At the gym he is just happy to be there. doesn't really care if everyone is better than him or if his legs are straight etc.

DD - can you say "polar opposite"?

anyway - best wishes for your DD's in a successful season.

Big DD's problem is she's "lazy". She is happy being average. She does what comes naturally and easily for her - in school, at the gym. If she would apply herself at the gym, she could be so much better. Beam coach said she is doing great, she works really hard on beam. Bars - they need to re-teach her giants (not shifting her wrists). Vault - she does ok but she would do better if her run was faster, and this has been a problem since day 1.OK, I'll stop rambling now....

Sounds very similar to the conversation we had this year~! My DD's coach gave her Sprint drills today, hopefully that will increase the speed.

let me know if your DD gets any great vaulting drills!

Good luck!

Sounds great! It must feel good to you to get info on exactly what's going on with your daughters and why they're doing what they're doing. I always want to know everything so I treasure parent-coach conferences. :D

Sounds like a good conference with solid plans for the upcoming season. Glad to hear that dd2's coaches and not pushing ahead yet and letting her grow and really get those L5 skills down. I know you'll see a big difference in her this year. I wish my gymmie had the enthusiasum for beam that your dd1 does!! She views it as this evil thing that she must deal with almost daily.

I'll trade you a strong run on vault for some confidence on beam!!!

I have finally seen DD do REAL REALLY REAL Runs for the first time this year! It is too bad they are consistent! I think being on the track team helped!

But I still think we should talk to that skill fairy about trading some skills...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back