WAG Hairstyles for meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pamred4

Coach
Gymnast
Does anyone have any super great hairstyles for teen gymnasts? I would be open to seeing tutorials and pictures of whatever you guys have used/seen before!! Thank you so much Xx

Most of the older girls at our gym do an upside down braid (starting at the base of the neck) into a ponytail or messy bun.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1389115482.283196.jpg

Sorry forgot to attach

Years ago I had a mom that was a pure artist when it came to doing hair. She would do our 30 girls and everyone was different, and a masterpiece! Some were a beautiful Caribbean sunset on the ocean with palm trees and jumping dolphins and swimming mermaids and...........Ooops, got a little carried away, but you get the idea, they were really elaborate and good. ;) I told her she needed to do a book on it, and she said she was. I will have to check and see if she ever did. I thought it would be a great idea. 'The gym moms guide to hairstyles.' You can PM for where to send the royalties! ;)

From my profile picture, you can tell that I love to style my girls' hair! After much research and practice, I've narrowed "meet hair" down to three options. Pinwheel bun, braided bun, or twists and turns bun. I let my girls choose which one they would like. Believe it or not, these styles take no longer than 15-20 minutes. I only have pictures, but all of the tutorials/videos can be found on You Tube. My favorite You Tube channel is Cute Girls Hair (as mentioned above). If you need any help or "tricks of the trade," I'm only a message away :)

Pinwheel Bun - Hands down...my girls' favorite (and teammates)! *Requires a bun doughnut and hairpins*
Braided Bun - It's a classic! Looks great on older gymnasts. *Requires a bun doughnut and hairpins*
Twists and Turns Bun - No bun doughnut or hairpins needed! It's created with those clear little rubber bands.

Please bear with me, I've never uploaded pictures to Chalk Bucket before so here it goes...

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1389124803.386915.jpg
my daughters meet hair this year is just a French braid on each side leading into a ponytail that I curl. She's 11.

Last year we did a French braid on each side leading into a braided bun for most of the meet season. Then for the last meet and States we did a French braid on each side leading into a ponytail at the nape of her neck. Then split the ponytail and flipped it through (topsy-turvy style) then kept flipping it through until it was all wrapped and pinned it.

You can never go wrong with a simple bun! We were always required to wear a bun so we would "shellack" the front of the head with so much gel to make sure there were no flyaways. Then braid the ponytail and then use a hairnet and tons of bobby pins/hairpins and your bun will stay forever. Also hairspray a lot after you put the bun in.

I love this bun... having a hard time finding a video online of it. Do you happen to have a link for how to do this? All three buns are darling :)

Thanks! Here is my inspiration video link. It isn't exactly the same as mine, but hopefully you can get the idea. Instead of using those big elastics, use the small clear ones (or hair color). I buy mine at the Dollar Store. Don't be afraid to use too many (this hairdo takes about 25 rubber bands). Also, I intertwine and rubber band all of the rosettes together instead of separating them out. This way it lays a bit more flat. Decorate with scrunchie...Woolahhh!!!
watch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back