Hairstyles????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

minimadiepremier

Hey guys,
Have any ideas of just cute easy hairstyles for workouts AND meets??
I just got bangs and i need a hairstyle.
I also got highlights......
But thats a differ story
But have any?
Thank you if you do!!!

I'm doing my sister's hair style for her next meet. So I have a couple of ideas;)

I did this once just to see if I liked it but yeah.. its kind of okay=) I just took my flat iron and twist some of her hair.
DSC03318.jpg

DSC03317.jpg

But what I'm going to try tonight is something similar to this, but I'll take velcro rollers (small ones) instead of flat iron... I'll take a picture tomorrow to show you how it will looks like!

Last edited:
Please share how you do a neat bun that stays in - I struggle!

Thanks

My DD has to wear a bun. I HATE them and I SUCK at making them. I have found one trick now that her hair is about shoulder length. I put it in a pony tail, gel the daylights out of the ponytail and twist it so it curls around itself and then tuck the end back under the ponytail holder. Then I put her scrunchie around the bun. Has held up every time and no hair pins, which she loves because they are not poking her in the head :D

when her hair was long (down to her behind) coach was ALWAYS bringing me handfuls of hair pins and her bun was always falling out.

My daughter's hair is very fine and she has a lot of it. Traditional buns don't work well and look terrible. I started braiding her bun. I pull it up into a ponytail, gel it (tons of gel) and then braid it. Then I wind it around into a bun with lots of bobby pins. Finally, I spray it with a healthy dose of hair cement. I swear not a hair is out of place even by the end of the meet, although this style is definitely not healthy for her hair. She has to shampoo 2 or 3 times to really get it clean after a meet. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter's hair is very fine and she has a lot of it. Traditional buns don't work well and look terrible. I started braiding her bun. I pull it up into a ponytail, gel it (tons of gel) and then braid it. Then I wind it around into a bun with lots of safety pins. Finally, I spray it with a healthy dose of hair cement. I swear not a hair is out of place even by the end of the meet, although this style is definitely not healthy for her hair. She has to shampoo 2 or 3 times to really get it clean after a meet. :D

When my dd had long hair I braided then bunned also - it always came out really pretty and stayed in with no problem. Of course my dd isn't a fan of blood so I used bobby pins instead of safety pins, lol :p

When my dd had long hair I braided then bunned also - it always came out really pretty and stayed in with no problem. Of course my dd isn't a fan of blood so I used bobby pins instead of safety pins, lol :p

LOL.... I suppose it depends on what kind of morning we're having. :D

Correction made.

LOL.... I suppose it depends on what kind of morning we're having. :D

Correction made.

LOL - I really got a kick out of your post b/c all us moms used to joke around that bobby pins and hairspray just weren't cutting it - we were going to have to start using safety pins and elmer's glue .

Hi :] I have bangs, and what I used to do was take my hair and do a half pony tail, then put that up. Then with the rest of the hair, I'd put it into a low ponytail. Then you tie those together, and it looks really cool.
Another way to do a simple pony tail but pull the bangs back. You take your bangs and pull them together, then twist them, and tie them back to the side. It looks cool. I hope that made sense haha

Please share how you do a neat bun that stays in - I struggle!

Thanks

Easiest bun ever that won't even move for hours - and won't damage the hair :D. My dd has very long hair & obviously needs to have it up for practice (does not need to be perfect) or for a meet (perfect hair a must).

For practice I spray it with a thin spray hair gel until it is wet (the brand I use is called ION, I have used it on dd's hair probably everyday for the last 4 years and her hair is not damaged from it). I use a fine tooth comb to comb it into a tight usually low pony, braid it & then pull the braid through one of the pony holder loops until it is a small enough bun, then I wrap the excess hair around the top where the holder is, and secure it into the holder or add another holder just to be sure it stays. Then wrap a scrunchie around it. When I do this it stays great for practice - LOL, I don't always do this even though it only takes me about 5 minutes.

Sometimes for practice & for her meet, I did the gel thing, comb thing & pulled it into a high pony. Braided it. wrapped it into a bun, THEN took yarn and a kids sewing needle and sewed her bun onto her head. Just to be 100% certain it would stay for the meet, I also added 2 of the great big bobby pins and criss crossed them. Then sprayed a little got2be glued on - not too much. Her hair is absolutely perfect after both a practice day and meet day, not a hair out of place. I have also only sewn the bun and not used any pins and it stayed great as well. No pain for tumbling, headstands, back x-rolls, fwd rolls, bckwrd rolls, etc etc ect., and looks very pretty :D This took me maybe 12 minutes. Good for her and for me :p

The perfect bun:

I learn how to do this when dd was dancing and this is what the Dance Instructor taught us to do. Do ponytail, make bun. Now the key to the perfect bun is to get a hair net that is the color of dd's hair and put it over the bun and secure with another hair tie. This will keep the little wispy hairs from popping out of the bun. From a distance (and even up close ;)) the bun is perfect and since the hair net is the same color as the hair, you don't even see it unless you are standing right on top of her and looking for it.

Hope this helps!

I usually have 2 tight French plaits - looks really neat, stays in really well and you don't have any bobbles or scrunchies digging into your head or getting in the way, as you do when it's in a ponytail or a bun.

Perfect bun! Attention all moms!

OMG! I was so excited to see this thread. A couple years ago when i was in level 4 we were REQUIRED to do our hair in a bun for competition. The secret to the art of bun making is THE SOCK BUN. 1. Shower and wet hair and leave a bit of conditioner in it. Just enough to keep it extra silky. 2. Towel dry hair. You want it still wet, but not sopping. 3. Put up hair into ponytail in all directions using fine tooth comb or my favorite, a round brush(1 inch conair) to keep perfectly smooth. 4. THE SOCK. Take a sock that's about knee height.You know, those toe socks or the funky one with stripes or something. Dont use the white crew socks because of the ribbing and they are too thick. you want normal sock thickness. Then cut the toe part off so it is a tube. A STRAIGHT tube. Make sure it doesn't have to much of a curved heal . 5. role the sock into a doughnut as if you were rolling a pair of socks together. I should be rolled tight and firm. If you don't roll it tight enough it will be too soft and large. Then put pony tail through sock as if the sock were a pony tail holder. (of course, don't try and twist and loop like a hair tie) Also, i always found gel or hairspray looked and held the hair best , but it must be applied when wet. Then stick your finger in the center of the pony tail and divide it evenly to cover the sock. then put a hair tie over the sock to form the bun. it should look like a donunt and the hair should be evenly pressed over the sock, WITHOUT IT SHOWING! there is nothing worse then seeing a 1/4 in. of white sock sticking out your gymnast's hair. After putting the ponytail around the sock , wrap hair clockwise around the bun and put a hair net over this . loop it twice to hold itself, and then put hair tie over. Let me know if you need a video... Good luck , and practice BEFORE the night of the meet. nothing can stress out your gymnast more when they or their mom can't get their hair right.

I'm looking for a cute way to do a high pony - first meet is in two weeks, and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing. Hehe. But pics and instructions for a style (something cool with the little colored rubber bands, maybe?) would be fantastic! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back