WAG Hand placement for tsuk vaults

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
DD has previously competed tsuks vaults well. After a long break from working these vaults she is going back to tsuks. She is having a lot of trouble with the entry. Her coach keeps telling her she turns too early. She has been trying to fix this for a month now without much progress. She is getting so much anxiety when its time to vault because coach is unhappy she is unable to make this correction. I came to watch vault the other day since I know that it is stressing her out and I noticed that her hands are closer to the front the table then they used to be. I looked at old vault videos and I noticed I hand was where the vault rises and the other hands was closer to the top of the table. The other day it looked like both hands where below the rise. I am guessing the result of early turning. Any advice or helpful information would be appreciated.

From past experience your hands should make an upside down T on the table, the lead hand will face the side of the table left or right depending on there RO above the line almost middle of the table, the second hand will complete the T with finger tips facing the spring board about shoulder width apart, this should create with the correct shoulder angle a good repulsion. Practicing blocking with your DD's hands in the T position is so important, a lot of coaches only train blocking in handstand.

Just a concept...........

Sometimes the early isn't early because it's happening at the right time in the gymnast's sense of timing and rhythm, but the part done just prior is moving too slowly to make that timing work. A non gymnastics example would be you showing up on time for a doctors appointment when the doctor is running 40 minutes behind schedule........ you're not early, but it works as if you had shown up way too early and you sit, and sit, and sit.

In gymnastics terms, she may be a bit slower than she used to be on her hurdle and compression into her pre-punch position and hasn't compensated by speeding up or adjusting her timing on the turn.

well, you said a long break. get back to us in a month. :) depending how long it has been, sometimes things just don't come back so easy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back