Coaches Handspring Flatback Vault onto 90cm mats

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kez

Hi - I was wondering if I could have confirmation of possible causes of lack of heel drive when kids are completing the handspring flatback vault onto 90cm mats. This seems to be a bit of a problem for a few of my kids at the moment. I'm figuring this could be caused by one or a combination of any of the following:

1. Lack of speed onto the board
2. Lack of body tension onto the board
3. Not standing upright and tall onto the board i.e. leaning forward as gymnast hits the board

Would this be right? Any other comments or additions to this? Any ideas to help improve heel drive (and body tension for that matter)?

As a regular part of our vaulting session we do a running drill where they have to run fast straight over the board and up onto the mats, straight jumps for entry onto the board and body tension and handstand flatbacks. I have also done stag runs and a drill where they have to snap there feet onto the board from a few steps away and complete a straight jump on the springboard. Oh - and mule kicks. Any help much appreciated. Kerry.

layout fronts off the board on to an 8 inch mat. and from about 20 feet. as they progress move them closer.

I found it wasn't just the heel drive that is the problem but also closed shoulders. Get them to try and open their shoulders up. I tell my gymnasts to let me "smell their armpits" bit gross but they get the idea better. I also tell them to push their butts into the air when going from the beatboard to the handstand this can also helps as their feet have to follow without bending their legs. Good luck

Have them do their flatbacks a little lower than 90cm until they have them perfectly on there but at the same time, move the springboard out quite far. Position yourself so that you are between the board and the mats so that you can catch any wild ones! You could also, depending on their age/height/weight and your strength tell them to jump up off the board into your arms like super woman (basically lying flat on their stomach with arms by ears) then you can place them into the position you want them in on the mats.
I like to get my gymnasts doing dive rolls over a 60cm high block into our pit (it's not full of foam blocks, more like a big mattress) this gets them to jump up off the board and reach forwards with open shoulders. We also do the front layout drill and begin handsprings over a low block to work on the correct action.

Emphasise the shape you want when they hit the mat, and practise going 'up and over' so that they are coming down onto the mats - ideally with the super man/women drill marie mentioned but also by lowering the height if that's not practical by you. You don't specify whether the problem is shoulder angle, hip angle or stopping in handstand rather than having the power to go over - I would call all of these heel drive problems but there are different drill to help each. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks to everyone for help. Will let you know how we go. Cheers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back