Handspring help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

darkdays670

Gymnast
I’ve recently gotten my back handspring but I still need more tips from people to fix some issues I have. One is that I like to stick my head out and the other is that my arms are wide. Anything to help fix these issues would be helpful. I can send a video if needed

To keep your head in, you can try holding something soft between your neck and chin. Try to keep it from flying out while doing your back handspring. This will train you to keep your head in, even when you are not holding something between your neck and chin. For your arms, one drill you can try is doing your back handspring with a shoulder width length band over your arms. (A small resistance band or even a strap bar strap will work perfectly.) This will make it more difficult for you to spread your arms too wide. Lastly, you can practice your back handspring over and over on a trampoline or with a spot, trying to fix the issues you mentioned above. Practicing high quality back handsprings in situations where you are comfortable doing them will help you perfect your back handspring on the floor. As with any skill, over time and with lots of repetition, you will get better. Congrats on getting your back handspring! I hope this was helpful.

The strap band is a great tool for training your arms to stay closer together! As well is trying to fix the corrections on tramps or tumble tracks or down inclines. One thing I’d like to add is that typically these mistakes occur due to a bigger mistakes in a skill. For example with the head being out of place perhaps make sure you’re taking off correctly.. leaning back into the jump. Basic drills such as bending your legs slightly starting with your arms out and leaning back to a wall, or lean and jump back onto a hip height mat (making sure your knees don’t go in front of your toes). In regards to your arms, make sure your hands aren’t turned in or out. If you’re arms go out a bit more than they should it might be because you’re hands are turned outward and aren’t parallel with each other in the arm swing back or when they make contact with the floor.

Also I don’t agree with the sponge under your chin to stop from throwing your head back. Because after the jump back into a backhand your back and shoulders are arched so your head should be slightly titled (ears hidden by arms) NOT tucked in, so you can see the floor!

If your coaches are telling you you’re sticking your head out I assume you’re throwing your head back in the jump back into the skill (this is a common mistake). Which goes back to my suggestion on continuing to also practice basic drills for takeoff.

Also I don’t agree with the sponge under your chin to stop from throwing your head back. Because after the jump back into a backhand your back and shoulders are arched so your head should be slightly titled (ears hidden by arms) NOT tucked in, so you can see the floor!

If your coaches are telling you you’re sticking your head out I assume you’re throwing your head back in the jump back into the skill (this is a common mistake). Which goes back to my suggestion on continuing to also practice basic drills for takeoff.
Thank you so much for the suggestions I’ll do some more drills while at home and continue to work on my handspring with my coach!

I do have a mat that’s soft enough to belly flop onto

Alright, then the first still I'd focus on is standing backhandspring to flat belly. Do the first half of the BHS, and then just don't bother snapping the feet over. Keep the shoulders extended and chest in the lead until you land on your belly on the mat.

By eliminating the need to get the feet under, this makes it easier to focus on form and technique for the first half. In addition, it emphasizes the delayed snap you want for good acceleration in the second half.

Alright, then the first still I'd focus on is standing backhandspring to flat belly. Do the first half of the BHS, and then just don't bother snapping the feet over. Keep the shoulders extended and chest in the lead until you land on your belly on the mat.

By eliminating the need to get the feet under, this makes it easier to focus on form and technique for the first half. In addition, it emphasizes the delayed snap you want for good acceleration in the second half.
I’ll definitely try this out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back