Coaches Handstand Flatback Vault Help needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

saddlupasb

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I have taught this vault since I started coaching and have never had a kid who didn't get it at all until now. I have used all of the terms that I know, all of the different tricks that get most kids there and some drills that should get her there. I've asked a few coaches about it also and none of the suggestions have worked. Maybe there is a simple solution that I am just overlooking?

Here is the issue: This girl S is very quick twitch, strong and fast. When she does her vault she hits the board and goes up but her body travels forward instead of turning over. Then because of being so high she reaches down and does a roll to flatback. She takes corrections to the extreme so if you say "get your chest up on the board" she goes straight up and doesn't turn over. She has a great heel drive but usually is in a closed shoulder/lower back arch shape instead of a tight handstand. They can only go up to 32" so I can't put another mat on. Plus, there are times when she leans in on the board and I don't want her to take her face off. I have spotted her A LOT to try to get her to feel the shape. I have taken her back to a vey short slow run to try to use technique and not power.

Help!!

Here are some drills that I've used...

1. Step from block, punch HS--then HS flatback.
2. Rock to HS, flatback. Lay on belly on block, with shoulders at the edge, and superman rock, kick heals over head to HS on 8in mat.

These two drills have helped my kids the most out of all my drills. If you're competing USAG level 3, they can go up to 40"

Good luck!

Can you do "rabbits" or something to that effect? There are a bunch of versions I use. Kick up to handstand on tramp, bounce on knees and then back to handstand. When they first start out I make them keep their hands on the tramp. Once I know they wont throw their back out (read: can be tight) I sometimes let them take their hands off.

You can also do the same thing but from feet to handstand, also on tumbl trak etc. It might help get the muscle memory and open her shoulder angle without having to vault so many times.

remove the board and put a mini tramp in its place.

You probably already tried this, but,,,
Two things,
1. What you described makes me think that her arm circle is early, or not at all. Either way, have her work the circle later so she is contacting the board with her hands down by her belly or hips, swinging forward to shape. So an adjustment in the hurdle is necessary. That should also help to get rid of any arching.
2. The hurdle, make sure she is coming in low and fast on to the board, feet in front arms circling back. And don't slow her down, work the hurdle and arms. If she is coming in high on the board then this will cause them to come on high to the mat, in my opinion.

Anyways, if you haven't already corrected these things then give it a shot. Hope that helps.

I would stand in front of the board (kneel in front of it for low mats) and grab her by the hips when she hits the board from a short run to lift her over your head to the handstand flatback. She'll obviously go behind your back so it needs to be soft mats. She needs to stretch in the air like a board so you can lift her like a see saw. Start it from her just standing in front of you on the board, then work up to a short run. I don't always use this approach (tiring), but when I have kids who just can't get it, it pretty much always proves successful to get them to at least go to a tight handstand because you are holding them and can correct them before putting them down in a handstand.

Then from there once she has the tight flatback motion down, you can work coming in at a lower angle. I have taught some unfortunate kids to do a relatively decent flatback with this method. When I have good amazing kids we just go for it. But yes, I understand what you mean. Some of them can NOT get it.

Also, she will have to stand up on the board with this method. That's why I recommend standing then a short run so she doesn't just barrel into you.

If she is going up when you say "get your check up on the board" she may be actually throwing her shoulders back as she hits. That will make her go up.
Try asking her to push the board into the mat with her feet then squeeze. This should get her turning over

If I read your post right I think her hurdle is wrong. It sounds like she is jumping on the board with her chest in front and not her feet. She needs a long hurdle . My suggestion: put a line on the runway (or mark it) and just let her practice the hurdle onto mats..no vault table…Actually her last step (hurdle) should be as long as her body length...

We do have a hurdle line at 9.5 feet from the resi for this one. And yes, arm circling and feet behind is a problem

I don't focus too much on a really long hurdle. I like the low and quick so they don't lose speed. Definitely making sure the feet are in front and pushing forward on the board is a key part of a good turn over.

I usually start at about 1.5 feet from the mats. I never go beyond 2.5 feet unless the kid is about 6' tall. I watched a male Olympic gymnast put the springboard at 1'4" and over rotate a handspring double front. They'd have to really quick to go from that close but the shorter the preflight, the better.

Thanks for everyone's input. We have a meet Sunday but the girl was playing at a soccer party and woke up with a swollen knee. Maybe she'll get to compete? Ugh

Update. S came to the meet fired up. First warmup was same old thing. I told her to come in lower, and not to lead with her belly. Just jump to handstand! Well she did it next try and then competed and scored 8.80. Lol. I hope it sticks so we can get that score up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back