Handstand Flatback Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
being level four my vault is a handstand flatback.

I have been told i am piking but i don't know how to fix it, could it be that the springboard is to close or too far from the vaulting table? how do you measure how far it should be? This piking thing is bugging me because my coach says its the only thing that is wrong in my vault and by piking i can lose up to 1.00 which i really don't want. i have looked at the requirements and i noticed thats really only where i could be deducted for(maybe a little on dynamics depending on the vault). as i have a significant block, am not in support phase for too long and i don't land in sitting up position (deductions according to manual) This has lead me to believe that i could score quite high on vault and i really want to get rid of this pike.

My dd did the same thing with her level 4 vault. Mr. Tom (the guy who choreographed the compulsory routines) told my dd that she needed to hit the springboard with her chest up, instead of leaning forward. This corrected the pike on the first day that she tried it.

In my experience, a pike on vault is caused by a lean forward on the board about 95% of the time. Focus on getting your feet in front and your chest up/back on the entry.

Think about pushing the board forward with your feet as you hit it.

I agree with GT. One other thing to keep in mind is don't put your hands on the mat. Just bring your arms to your ears. They will make contact with the mat on their own. Many people hit the board with their arms up then reach down for the mat. You should hit the board with the arms low and reach up as you turn over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back