WAG handstand splash down backward roll? Series?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So.....
I'm having blocks on Korbuts. One of the coaches at my gym pulled me aside and helped me do lots of drills that would make me go higher, and they worked. Yay! Only trouble is during the entire thing she kept talking about how if I didn't go high it would hurt, etc.... and I knew that. But she kept going into it, and now I can't bring myself to do it.

:(

Anyway, I'll keep working on them, but my states are in a month. I also will be away the week before states (ugh, terrible timing I know), and my Korbut is kinda fickle -> it either works GREAT or.... terrible.

So, I've been looking at other options as I can do a series instead.

I have other options, but a handstand splashdown backwards roll is super easy and looks awesome (it's one of the skills I have great form on without even trying, wish it was that way for everything ;)) and since it's states, it's okay to do the minimum just to play it safe and try to qualify for regionals.

ANYWAY, my point is, is it a series? I figured it was, cause it's two skills connected, but I just want to check Like so: (obviously not falling! This is not me)
giphy-downsized-large.gif

We saw this about five times at platinum/diamond states this weekend. My DD loved it and now wants to try it too. It was NorCal northern states. They definitely used it as their series and some of them scored amazingly.

I'm unsure about the technicalities, but it looks awesome! If you just want *a series*, it should count. You can check if both skills are in the code of points, to be sure, as I'm not sure whether the handstand splash down actually counts as a skill?. It's obviously not an acro series, though.

I feel like doing backwards rolls on the beam would hurt, though; I never liked front rolls because of the ouch factor. If you don't mind, it looks great :)

I'm unsure about the technicalities, but it looks awesome! If you just want *a series*, it should count. You can check if both skills are in the code of points, to be sure, as I'm not sure whether the handstand splash down actually counts as a skill?. It's obviously not an acro series, though.

I feel like doing backwards rolls on the beam would hurt, though; I never liked front rolls because of the ouch factor. If you don't mind, it looks great :)
I'm pretty sure that it is a skill, but I'll check. And backwards rolls don't hurt! :p Thanks

If you hold a HS for 2 seconds, in an A skill. There are a million variations on how to get up and down, including the "splash down."

Backward rolls hurt way less than forward rolls on beam do! I was very skeptical at first but once I mastered it became 100% painless.

Backward rolls hurt way less than forward rolls on beam do! I was very skeptical at first but once I mastered it became 100% painless.

Perhaps I shall add them to my list of skills to learn! One of my goals this year is to make a beam routine, just for fun :) I want to put in a cartwheel and a double stag handstand, a half turn, the splits, and MAYBE a front tuck dismount if I can master it, otherwise a 1.5 straight jump (lol this is what happens when you're not competing, you get a mix of silly skills), so perhaps I'll put in a backwards roll as well :D

Whoops, I derailed the thread. Have you decided what to do, @Sarah_the_gymnast?

Perhaps I shall add them to my list of skills to learn! One of my goals this year is to make a beam routine, just for fun :) I want to put in a cartwheel and a double stag handstand, a half turn, the splits, and MAYBE a front tuck dismount if I can master it, otherwise a 1.5 straight jump (lol this is what happens when you're not competing, you get a mix of silly skills), so perhaps I'll put in a backwards roll as well :D

Whoops, I derailed the thread. Have you decided what to do, @Sarah_the_gymnast?
I think I will end up doing this series. Thank you for all your help. I will continue to work the korbut, but if not I'll have a backup/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back