WAG Haney under investigation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes correct . The point I am making is this organization (both safesport and USAG). Has a proven track record of failure . Including
1)putting the wrong people on the list and then quietly taking them off.
2) apparently ignoring Nassar child molesters and allowing them to continue to molest , but don’t make a kid do too Many pushups or rope climbs.
3) ignoring legitimate complaints because they are high profile people, but suspend everyone else and don’t follow up ...just leaving them on the list .... until they spend money to clear themselves ...
5) calling on stupid complaints ... but make our 18 year old athletes take a sefesport course right before regionals or they don’t get to go to nationals ....
etc...
So my point is this organization lakes the ability to properly investigate anything. It’s bad enough that two people I know were put on the list (one was over a year) and then cleared . Just think about that for a second .... and now USAG is apparently leaking emails ? ( Unless I read it wrong ). So my fear is the same organization that just can’t get it right is going to publicize all complaints .... bogus or not ..
But isn’t it all suspected “sexual misconduct?” I haven’t seen them suspend anyone for physical or emotional misconduct, no matter how bad. They also “lose” information, don’t record it, etc. The coach I was speaking of isn’t high profile. This was a bunch of 8 and 9 year olds. I figured they just don’t care about 8&9 year olds.

On a related note...

The following was quite an eye-opener for me:
Screenshot excerpts (below) from the gym’s 2017 – 2018 team contract.
As I read it, some of the messages to parents:
  • Stay out of the gym.
  • Your child can’t return if they leave.
  • We will tell you when to vacation.
  • We can decide if / when / how your child has any medical procedure, including surgery, and by whom.
This (contract and cultural expectation) is unacceptable – for any gym.
So… many… reasons…

I think the medical transport is a common thing for gyms thats for IF they get hurt at gym (and presumably you as a parent cant get there or are unreachable at that given time) you give them authority to transport them for medical care. I dont think they are signing over medical authority of the child.

Most gyms "recommend" you vacation during team vacation times this is their written policy its got to be clear and writing out all contingencies is not practical. I would be more interested in how it is in practice. So the Elites have to get vacation approved I don't see that as a big deal unless requested vacations ALWAYS get denied.

I think the medical transport is a common thing for gyms thats for IF they get hurt at gym (and presumably you as a parent cant get there or are unreachable at that given time) you give them authority to transport them for medical care. I dont think they are signing over medical authority of the child.

This was how I read the medical treatment clause. It just appears more broadly worded than is typical.

We have been at two very successful gyms and never, not once, has a gym suggested when we can vacation. In fact, we have a 10 day vacation coming up just before meet season and my child was going to miss the mock meet (they have since changed the date bc of a judging issue), and her coach said “that’s totally fine. Have a great trip!” I am not on board with a gym telling me when or how to live our lives...and I don’t understand why so many people are ok with that situation. Obviously, if your child is elite that is a different situation and should be worked out with the coaches, but I hear about it for even compulsory kids all the time and it’s just ridiculous!

We have been at two very successful gyms and never, not once, has a gym suggested when we can vacation. In fact, we have a 10 day vacation coming up just before meet season and my child was going to miss the mock meet (they have since changed the date bc of a judging issue), and her coach said “that’s totally fine. Have a great trip!” I am not on board with a gym telling me when or how to live our lives...and I don’t understand why so many people are ok with that situation. Obviously, if your child is elite that is a different situation and should be worked out with the coaches, but I hear about it for even compulsory kids all the time and it’s just ridiculous!

Same. We take vacation all the time. I dare you to stop me. We live with the consequences of being away from the gym, but my kids will grow up with many happy childhood memories that have NOTHING TO DO WITH GYMNASTICS.

Here's the thing: Just because SafeSport has botched investigations in the past, left people on the list or taken them off quietly, or in general has not handled previous complaints the way you would does not mean that this specific investigation against Haney should be kept quiet. And in all reality, it wasn't SafeSport or USAG that went public with the news, it was an independent investigator. We have no idea whether or not people would have found out there was an investigation at all if it weren't for that OC article.

SafeSport absolutely should tighten up procedures, in a way that identifies a clear path for those making claims, and for those claims are made against.

But I'm glad this news is public now. If anything it sets a precedence that just because a coach is producing winners doesn't mean they are above investigation.

Separate from Safe Sport complaints, but Regarding MG elites policies, yeah, I would not like them either for my child (such as vacation). So, I wouldn't send my kid to that gym. If enough people don't send their kids based on that gyms policies, they will either change their policies or go out of business. Again, I think some parents choose this for their kids because they are successful. If they are okay with it, well, what can I say? I would not choose that lifestyle for my child though.

Never in a million years would I allow my child at a gym with those policies. The Medical transport thing is pretty standard - especially given that they don't allow parents at practice, an emergency would require the gym to act on behalf. The "revolving door" comment is awful. The "no exceptions" to parents watching practice is a HUGE red flag, and the vacation thing is ludicrous.

I hate the guilty until proven innocent mentality though. These are mere allegations, the people who made them are not under oath, and we don't know the circumstances. I think it's pretty hard to get to elite in any sport unless you have a great coach, and she seems to know how to get there. Parents are responsible for pulling their kids out of an environment they feel is inappropriate. The hair pulling/ taping/ shaming allegations against Legacy Elite seem far worse and harder to respond to.

Never in a million years would I allow my child at a gym with those policies. The Medical transport thing is pretty standard - especially given that they don't allow parents at practice, an emergency would require the gym to act on behalf. The "revolving door" comment is awful. The "no exceptions" to parents watching practice is a HUGE red flag, and the vacation thing is ludicrous.
It’s funny they’re so strict about all this, yet do not obey USAG’s leotard policy (it’s Beene rule forever). They competed in spaghetti strap leotards at last year’s Atlantic City meet. But they expect everyone to abide by all their rules?

I wouldn’t sign that medical treatment form.

Yes medical treatment authorization is rather standard when it involves minors away from parents/guardians.

I’ve signed them for school, camp, etc.

The one up thread however is missing very important information.

First and foremost. The statement saying they have authority in the event my husband or I can not be reached.

Without this statement I wouldn’t sign it. And any organization that made treatment decisions for my kid, (Beyond her being in cardiac arrest), would have a huge law suit on their hands. Because if we can’t be reached we are likely dead or in a mass casualty/natural disaster situation.

Also contact information of my child’s health care providers.

Hey HP. Why are you so quick to defend an accused coach? It's akin to blaming the victim and part of the gross current culture of not believing girls and women when they say they have been abused. We have to take any complaint 100% seriously. Too bad for the coach.
I am clearly talking about the system and Failures in the organization and how the coaching community doesn’t trust the people in charge of the investigation. Unless you think they are doing a great job? Your reading comprehension is horrible

Part of my post from Reddit

Parents are the most important aspect, it is our job to ensure the safety of our children. Not the USAG, not the coaches, not the gym owners. No result is worth an abusive environment. As parents we need to evaluate, judge and protect. We also have the ultimate say as to things such as practicing injured. Coaches should be consulted but the parents make the decision. As someone who observes things very carefully, it is often the parents and gymnasts pushing to practice and compete injured; however, I know this is not always true. As far as Maggie, I know quite a few of the athletes and parents at MG Elite and hope the environment is as described by them... serious, demanding but not abusive.

Part of my post from Reddit

Parents are the most important aspect, it is our job to ensure the safety of our children. Not the USAG, not the coaches, not the gym owners. No result is worth an abusive environment. As parents we need to evaluate, judge and protect. We also have the ultimate say as to things such as practicing injured. Coaches should be consulted but the parents make the decision. As someone who observes things very carefully, it is often the parents and gymnasts pushing to practice and compete injured; however, I know this is not always true. As far as Maggie, I know quite a few of the athletes and parents at MG Elite and hope the environment is as described by them... serious, demanding but not abusive.
I don’t think many of the parents are well educated. That’s why they are willing to condone absurdly high hours, overtraining, and verbal/emotional abuse at the compulsory levels for 7 year olds. :rolleyes: And the culture has historically condoned this type of coaching, so no wonder they think it’s ok. EVERYONE needs to be held accountable. Coaches, gym owners, USAG, and parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back