Parents Hardest Skill To Acquire

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

View attachment 8458

I thought it would be a fun discussion so here goes…

What has been the hardest skill for your gymnast to acquire or “get” so far? I don’t mean the most difficult skill necessarily, but the one that took your gymnast the longest to get. Include your gymnast’s level in the comment.

Curious to see all the different responses!

My Xcel Silver struggled for months to consistently do her ROBHS, and she’s still working hard at her kip
my hardest skill is a squat on. not sure why, but it just keeps coming and going for me even though I've been doing it for 3 years and can do a toe shoot. I'm competing platinum and I'm afraid I won't be able to do it in a meet.

So far kip. Still doesn't have it (doesn't need it yet but they are working them) but can do a cast to handstand which I think is a couple of levels away. On floor she doesn't seem to have a front walkover but can do a front and back handspring. Skills are funny things.

Last edited:
This is fun….MAG and WAG gymnasts talking about the hardest skill to learn at the recent world championships. Lots of DTY’s, but also lots of kips.

This video is great. Showed it to my gymnast, and her reaction was "Truth."

For her, she's all about floor and beam. Strong in those events with no big issues.

She's indifferent to vault, but bars are her bugaboo. No particular blocks or anything, it's just that those skills come to her much slower than they do on other events, so she always feels like she's lacking momentum and not moving forward "fast enough." It brings a lot of frustration, and sometimes I wish she had more balance in her skills across all four events, even if it meant she wasn't as strong on floor or beam. Perhaps she'd be a little less hard on her bars-self because she wouldn't have so much expectation.

This video is great. Showed it to my gymnast, and her reaction was "Truth."

For her, she's all about floor and beam. Strong in those events with no big issues.

She's indifferent to vault, but bars are her bugaboo. No particular blocks or anything, it's just that those skills come to her much slower than they do on other events, so she always feels like she's lacking momentum and not moving forward "fast enough." It brings a lot of frustration, and sometimes I wish she had more balance in her skills across all four events, even if it meant she wasn't as strong on floor or beam. Perhaps she'd be a little less hard on her bars-self because she wouldn't have so much expectation.
This is my daughter, too. She struggles with bars. So frustrating for her. But when the breakthroughs come she is so happy.

My L10 says a Maloney 1/2 or a blind change.

I will say the kip is the hardest so far for my level 3 daughter. She will likely be held back in level 3 next season because they say if she doesn’t have it by team tryouts next month she can’t advance although she has all the other level 4 skills. She has been so close for months but still not able to make it on her own. When I was a gymnast the kip came easy to me along with forward skills. My problem was the mental blocks I had regarding back handspring’s. I could do back walkovers on beam before I could do the back handspring on floor without a spot. I was even afraid on the trampoline to go backwards which seems crazy now when I look back but the fear was real.

I got a lot of ‘dance-ish’ (side aerial, front aerial, 180 switch leap etc) skills really early at like 6-7 which many girls on my team struggled with. My ROBHS was hard, and I got it when I turned 9. My back tuck also came easily though it was very scary. The hardest would be standing BHS on trampoline, and front walkover on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back