Parents Has anyone ever...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If this is not a dire family/financial change, I would think about placing this decision on her but helping her by coming up with some stipulations for her continuing that will help you with the time/financial stress. This may help you/her determine whether she is truly serious about gymnastics or is just staying in it for other reasons. Increasing chores around the home to reduce the load on you/spouse. Babysitting/paper route/yard cleaning for neighbors (may need to wait a year) to help contribute financially. I know it won't make much of a dent but it is the time commitment that matters. Will she choose to give up some of her free time to stay in gymnastics or will she choose to leave and try a different sport.

For what it's worth, (and I am not directing this to you/your dd specifically, just talking generally) I agree with Deleted member 18037 in that it gymnastics is so much more than moving on to harder skills at some prescribed timeline, competing well, etc. This sport is teaching her so much about how to deal with stress, complicated situations, fears, etc in real life. This will stay with her the rest of her life. I would still gladly pay to have my dd stay on team (if she stayed committed) regardless of what level she got to, how many years she had to repeat etc. Most of her free time has been spent with a great group of girls, supervised/coached by an amazing group of coaches and staff who are truly her second family. If she wasn't in gymnastics, I would make her join another year round sport anyway because we believe in daily physical activity that pushes you to keep growing (no matter how slowly). And while it doesn't always work out this way, a large majority of gymnasts (who remain committed) tend to worry less about peer pressure, boys, shopping, etc because their goals and schedules are so different. All positives in my mind!!

My DD had a teammate that was forced to quit. I think it was a financial strain on the family and they decided no more and persuaded their DD to switch to a school team sport (track) with hopes she can get a scholarship in that sport. The girl was 15, just finished her freshman year and did not want to quit. It's been over a year and she still keeps up with the other girls. She comes into the gym. She cries sometimes. I feel terrible for her. She loved the sport but I always got the impression her parents did not. I don't know what they think about their decision now but I am surprised that she still misses it like she appears to after this long. If I truly could not afford the absolutely necessities OR if my child was being harmed in some way (abuse at the gym or body can't take it), I would pull her from gym but now that we're this far in, I couldn't take it away from her for any other reason.

Made the decision for their gymnast to take them out of the sport? I won't go into too many details but for the time away from home, DRIVE TIME (big one), and financial piece, I don't believe it is in our family's best interest to stay in the sport. My kid loves it. She is talented but by no means on any elite or probably college path. But it's all she's known.
We are most likely making the call to have her move on to other things...but I just wanted to see if anyone has been here or known a family that has done this.
Thanks in advance,
Signed,
Mean mom :rolleyes:

This is about the same thing I am pondering with my DD and almost the same circumstances as far as talent and age. She works hard but is "not a natural" as one coach pointed out so skills take longer to acquire. Her father complains regularly about how much we are both gone from home (driving time is prohibitive of me dropping her and going back home). If she doesn't get the required skills to compete level 6 by their deadline this summer, it's going to be a tough sell to her father to keep her in it.

I feel for you and your situation! I don't have any advice but glad you posted so I can reap some along with you. From what I have read so far, you are receiving some words of wisdom.

This is about the same thing I am pondering with my DD and almost the same circumstances as far as talent and age. She works hard but is "not a natural" as one coach pointed out so skills take longer to acquire. Her father complains regularly about how much we are both gone from home (driving time is prohibitive of me dropping her and going back home). If she doesn't get the required skills to compete level 6 by their deadline this summer, it's going to be a tough sell to her father to keep her in it.

I feel for you and your situation! I don't have any advice but glad you posted so I can reap some along with you. From what I have read so far, you are receiving some words of wisdom.
And I meant to add that you are not a Mean Mom. You are looking out for the best interest of your family. Gym life is hard on a family. Don't be so hard on yourself. Since she is 12, talk to her about the situation and see how she feels about it. 12 is old enough to understand about finances and strain on the family.

Hi,
I have NEVER forgiven my parents for doing this to me as a 15yr old when we moved house. I AM NOW 40 yrs old.
I can’t stress enough. DO NOT DO IT.
Mel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back