Parents has your child ever

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
missed a meet due to being sick?

my oldest dd has the stomach bug and to be honest Ido not think she will be well enough by Sat to go. younger dd will be going (as long as she doesnot get sick)

my poor kid has looked forward to this meet for a year now

Lots more meets are in her future. If she is still under the weather she will not be able to perform at her best plus you take the risk of spreading the bug to her teammates.

Two years ago, before her first level 4 meet, DD got the flu. It was the year of the Swine Flu... not sure if that's what it was or not, but the poor thing was sick... fever, hacking cough, no appetite, etc. She had an 8am meet several hours away and I had booked a hotel under one of those special "cheap but non-refundable" rates. The day before the meet, her fever broke, and she REALLY wanted to go to the meet. We eventually decided we'd go and stay in the hotel (there was a pool, etc.) and see how it went. The next morning she still REALLY wanted to go, so we went. She hadn't eaten a full meal in 5 days and she was still coughing, but we let her go. I know that, if it weren't for the cheapskate part of me rankling at the idea of paying for a hotel room we weren't going to use, we would have kept her home.

We actually were talking about that meet last night. She has a meet next weekend and was saying that she was hoping she'd have a successful meet. I told her that I thought that any meet where she did her best and had fun was a successful meet. She said, "Then they've ALL been successful meets! Well, except for that one when I was sick. I didn't have much fun at that one." In retrospect, I think she probably felt worse than she was letting on. But she HAD been fever-free for 24 hours, so I suspect that she at least was not contageous.

I don't know. It's a hard choice to make. Play it by ear and see how it goes. At least, at level 4, they're not doing any super-dangerous skills where being weak from getting over an illness is likely to result in serious injury. DD landed on her knees during her ROBHS, and I know that was from weakness due to the illness.

Good luck! Here's hoping for miraculous recoveries and no other household members coming down with it!

Thanks! yea if she is weak no way will I let her comepete, Tho If she is feeling better but still weak , and no fever all day tomorow orthrowing up etc (not had any fever at all ) I will let her go and sit with the team as long as no vomiting and such for a good 24 hours. so that she can still be a part of the team, She has oly vomited 1 time but had tummy aches and feels weak so Iwill play it all by ear and like I said no way will she compete if her body is not ready, Too many chances to get hurt then she is out even longer!

also since #2 dd is also doing themeet, she would be bummed if both dad and I are not there. We have notmissed a meet yet butif older dd does not go I will stay home since it makes more sense for me to since wehave 3 yrold dd as well
I wish life was easier LOL

I have to say that last year one of the meets we hosted there was a stomach bug going around. We had kids vomiting at every session. Thankfully, with the exception of 2, they all made it to the bathroom. Not fun for anyone.

I would say, only you know your child. But there will be many more meets.

Is this her first meet? Are you sure its a stomach bug? I only ask because nerves can play a huge part. You mentioned that she didn't have a fever and she only vomited once. Thinking it might not be a true bug. If she is feeling better after a day, I would let her go for it. Of course if she develops a fever then you know its truly an infection and would have to cancel it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

no it is not her first meet. she allready qualified for state at 32AA (forgot the afterpoint partLOL) at least:)

and Iam sure its a virus, she is weak and her stomach hurts etc. plus her little sister was sick all last week with stomach bug and still is a bit off.

good thought tho.

Warning: Rant: ... just remember everyone... you don't have to have a fever for something to be contagious!!! This is a HUGE PET PEEVE to many parents... not just gymnastics either. Any time a child is sick you need to keep your kids home! It is so irritating to have a child mixed in with a group... school, sports, meets, whatever, who is sick! Not only can they spread it to other kids, but they can't perform their best either. Even in L4, kids can get hurt if they're not up to par. Falling off bars, beam, landing a BHS wrong, etc. It's just not worth it. There will always be other meets, and sometimes a parent needs to be the parent and not give in to the plea from a child.

I work in an elementary school and it is such a joke among us teachers.... the kids are already starting to come in school feeling "fine," but 3 hours later... guess what? They have a fever, or are back to that barking cough, etc. Kids are so honest, we ask them if mom gave them any medicine before they came to school and of course the answer is "yes!" Grrrrr.... keep a sick child home!

My kid hasn't, but I would definitely keep her home from a meet if she was sick. For one, they can get injured more easily if they aren't feeling well. Two, it is just rude to bring your sick kid to a meet and risk getting others sick. Sorry, but that is my feeling. My kid misses practice when she is sick, too, and I hate when she comes home saying her teammate was so sick and was still at practice (and I am not saying when you didn't know and they got sick, but MANY parents send their sick kids to practice, heaven forbid they miss practice, like they can get anything done when they feel bad, poor kid). Last year my kids got sick from a girl that went to a meet running a fever and feeling bad, but mom just medicated her and then was upset she wasn't doing as well as she normally does. ??? Huh? It is just a meet, there will be more. Yes, it sucks, like missing a meet for injury, but they get over it, they really do. :)

My rule is that they need to be feeling well the day before they go to practice (or if it was a meet, the day before the meet). If they are doing well the 24 hours before, no fever, playing and being normal, they are probably ready to go. But I have seen kids go that were sick or recovering and it can sometimes be scary.

I say to just play it by ear and go with your gut. Sending her get well vibes that she will be better by her meet! My kid has missed for injury and it is no fun, but such is gymnastics, I guess!

Okay, I have a confession to make--and I know it will make friends think less of me, but I have to say it. I once let my oldest DD compete at a meet after throwing up the night before. It was a travel meet and it was her very first level 7 meet. She desperately wanted to compete (she was in 7th grade, so, would have been 13 yrs old). So I let her. I did go against her wishes and let her coach know though. She had a great meet (qualified for State!), but I know it could have gone much worse. I just couldn't hold her out after traveling all that way to compete!

In team news--I think it was last year one of our compulsories competed at a state qualifier with a 102 fever. It was her last chance to make it to state, I think, so her mom let her go. Needless to say, she didn't make it. Who can compete well with a 102 fever??

Hope your daughter is feeling better--and sounds like you have a better idea on when to hold your daughter out from meets than I did!

of her 4 lrvel 5 meets to date DD missed one with a sprained elbow. 3 weeks later she missed the next with a stomach virus. sending them sick is not worth the risk. way too easy gor them to get hurt. it is also not fair to everyone else @ the meet. nobody else wants to get sick because someone else didn't have the common courtesy to keep their kid home. i know it sucks, my DD didnt want to miss either meet. I didnt really want to lose the meet fee I paid. but that is life sometimes.

I do agree if sick ,Idid say she had to be fever free(Tho shehasnot even had one) and no vomiting and eating for a good 24 hours
before I would let her go. she is feeling better tonight just a tad week and tired so things are looking good so who knows,

Warning: Rant: ... just remember everyone... you don't have to have a fever for something to be contagious!!! This is a HUGE PET PEEVE to many parents... not just gymnastics either. Any time a child is sick you need to keep your kids home!

While this sounds like a good policy in theory, it doesn't work in reality. Most infections are contagious several days (some up to 2 weeks) before the symptoms present themselves so it really doesn't matter if a child a little under the weather goes to school (or other public place) - they have already exposed others before even knowing it.

And if children stayed home every time they felt a little ill, they would miss *a lot* of school days. My children are homeschooled are not exposed to nearly as many germs as most kids and they still get sick 3-4 times in the winter. And each illness lasts 4-7 days on average. Of course, they typically are feeling better after only a couple days but they are still contagious.

I am in no way advocating that parents send their children to school with fevers (or hidden fevers) but it's not because you will infect others - it's because your child isn't up to participating in the school day. And certainly not sports practice, where they are likely weakened, lightheaded and tired.

DS competed at states one year, he had a stomach bug two days before. On meet day he hadn't thrown up for over 24 hours and had managed to eat a small meal the night before and breakfast that morning. He did ok, placed on a few events even, but interestingly his comment to me afterwards was "five minutes into the warm up I just knew that I was not ready". When I probed a bit further he said he hadn't felt strong enough, "stretched" enough and just not "in the zone". As hard as it is, I would say there is always another meet, and after competing and not feeling 100% I think DS would probably agree with me.

Our director sent and email off to the hosting gym and they are willing to refund our fee if she cannot compete, how awesome isthat (we really did not think they could but everyone figured we would not know if we did not ask.)
our gym also said that if it were another kid at ours we would want to refund as well! for to many reasons!

now to debate if she can sitin the stands and cheer her sister on or I stay home and miss (I really do notwantto but looks like I probably will) she is feeling a ton better just tired and needs to really get more nourishment in her tho she is eating back tonormal now too

Last night I was in the office and a lady came into pay with her leotard sporting child (meaning the kid just did class) while paying her bill she proceeds to tell the office lady that "This one was home sick all day from school" and that she took her to the doc and she had a fever, strep and an ear infection. I wanted to scream! If your kid is too sick to go to school don't send them to gym! And strep are you kidding me? And this girl was a rec. gymnast to boot! Responsible parenting!

Last night I was in the office and a lady came into pay with her leotard sporting child (meaning the kid just did class) while paying her bill she proceeds to tell the office lady that "This one was home sick all day from school" and that she took her to the doc and she had a fever, strep and an ear infection. I wanted to scream! If your kid is too sick to go to school don't send them to gym! And strep are you kidding me? And this girl was a rec. gymnast to boot! Responsible parenting!

If I were the office staff, I would have said "Oh she shouldn't be here if she has strep. Would you like to schedule a makeup class for her?"

Ooh smart mom eh, ear infections and gymnastics go so well together! It is what is known as "afraid of missing something" symdrome!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back