Parents Having a moment.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
DD is being left out of training a couple moves that her group and some of the L7s working. Her explanation makes total sense and her coach has even told me the same thing. And I trust HC and believe she is being honest with me.

But my CGM is trying to rear her head when I see her teammates getting these new skills while DD isn't even working them.

Just needed to share/vent.

DD is being left out of training a couple moves that her group and some of the L7s working. Her explanation makes total sense and her coach has even told me the same thing. And I trust HC and believe she is being honest with me.

But my CGM is trying to rear her head when I see her teammates getting these new skills while DD isn't even working them.

Just needed to share/vent.

I completely understand. My DD doesn't train a lot of skills her level mates do, and I constantly remind myself that their journey is not her journey. She's happy and she's growing as a gymnast, at her own pace. But, I definitely understand how you feel.

I understand too! DD is the last one in her group to get her cast to handstand, so on new skills day when everyone else is learning giants and whatnot she is trying to desperately to get that freaking handstand. Think it's getting her down a bit, although she understands why she can't move on without it.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm seeing bails and toe catches and HC wants DD to do a pak salto but said she can't introduce them until DD can do her double back "with her eyes closed". She said the pak can mess up the flyaway landing so if DD gets that screwed up and then loses her DB, she'll be stranded on the bars. Lol

But the girls are having so much fun getting new bar changes and my little Rudolph can't join in their reindeer games. (Holiday analogy)

I think you have to hark (holiday reference :) back to the times your gymmie was the first to get skills and remember that feeling of pride you had - it will come around again!

I'm familiar with that feeling, it's not fun. I can tell you the times I have felt that way DD really perfected the skill that was holding her back and went on to do even better on the skills she had to wait to do. Hope that helps in some way.

Is this also the coach's way to put pressure on her to perfect her double back?
That's not the impression I have. None of her teammates can do double backs so I don't have anyone to compare them to but hers look pretty solid: flipping above the bar and sticking her landing. She flips pretty fast so I don't know else I could see clearly enough to have any idea.

To think we thought once they chose a sport it was all down hill!!

No sage advice but sending you lots of virtual wine, chocolate & hugs ☺☺

At Kipper's gym most of the girls are training bails. They are practicing them without spot, etc. The only one who is not training bails is a very talented, young phenom. She is training the pak salto and tcatchev (sp?) Of course, she gets to do nothing without a spot, which I know is frustrating. But... in the end she will likely make the transition to L10 faster and with harder skills. Sounds like a good long-term plan for your kiddo. Just frustrating for a short while. BTW...crazy awesome your gym's L7's are training release moves. Kipper and her team mates are still perfecting giants and clear hip handstands. They get to work on pirouettes occasionally, but that's about it.

At Kipper's gym most of the girls are training bails. They are practicing them without spot, etc. The only one who is not training bails is a very talented, young phenom. She is training the pak salto and tcatchev (sp?) Of course, she gets to do nothing without a spot, which I know is frustrating. But... in the end she will likely make the transition to L10 faster and with harder skills. Sounds like a good long-term plan for your kiddo. Just frustrating for a short while. BTW...crazy awesome your gym's L7's are training release moves. Kipper and her team mates are still perfecting giants and clear hip handstands. They get to work on pirouettes occasionally, but that's about it.

I think DD is moderately talented but definitely not a phenom. She is also training the tkatchev but still in the very early stages of drills such as going the "wrong way" around the bar and doing this weird release/re-grasp thing. HC did tell me that if DD wants, she will bring the bars in during DD's private and they can could work some. I have no idea if DD will want that or not. She's not too terribly concerned at all. This is all going on in my head. LOL

I have no idea how frequently all the L7s are training release. I only know of it because of social media posts/videos. It could be the girl who I saw was just a fluke.

This thread is definitely helping me keep CGM far away. Because what's most important is that DD is feeling good about gym right now.

That's not the impression I have. None of her teammates can do double backs so I don't have anyone to compare them to but hers look pretty solid: flipping above the bar and sticking her landing. She flips pretty fast so I don't know else I could see clearly enough to have any idea.
I was just curious because my DD isn't being taught in the same order. She was taught toe catch, then introduced to bails and double back dismounts. She almost has the dismount, competes the catch, isn't close on the bail.

I'm on the verge of going full CGD myself. DD broke her thumb 7 weeks ago and was casted for 3 weeks. It's now 4 weeks post-cast and the bars coach is still prohibiting her from working on one of the skills in her routine because he's worried about it healing.

It must be so hard. I know you are doing the right thing by venting here, not 'there'....hang in there, and hope for the best...there always seems to be a reason for everything, it just doesn't always show itself right away.

Ah, something similar here. My DD (doing L7) is doing a simple front tuck dismount on beam, while almost everyone else is doing CW/BT. Isn't the back dismount more progressive? I'm CGMing in my head.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back