having trouble focusing on vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

While practicing my FHS vault I get distracted so easily while running down the runway. The runway is in between the tumble trak and a bunch of beams parallel to the runway and it is hard not to watch people while running down the runway which is affecting my vaults.

On beam I find mentally saying a word with each skill to be helping (like thinking 1, 2, 3, Leap during my leap pass) and am wondering if there is any such technique that exists for vault...

The other thing I am thinking of trying is starting the run not as far back. I noticed I do a bit better if I do I half-hearted jog halfway down the runway
and suddenly pick up speed in the last half. Otherwise I am alreadying at full speed only half way down the runway.

Anything else I could do?

let your coach know this. this problem is very common. it's called the race horse syndrome. it's why they wear those funny looking shields on their heads that prevent them from seeing anything other than what's in front of them when they run. we have some of this in our eyes and brains also (...wait for it....vestibular!) your coach will know what to do.:)

Sorry this is OT but I can't resist adding in some horse knowledge since I have no gymnastics knowledge to add to this subject! The funny looking shields are called blinkers or blinders and a lot of times they actually make the problem worse for horses because it is more distracting to them that they can't see things they know are there :p

Stare at the springboard. It's the only important part of vault that you need to worry about while running. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back