He Kexin may not be old enough for Beijing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So seeing beautiful gymnastics is more important than following the rules? That's just not how it works. It the only thing that mattered was for *the* best gymnasts to go, there would be no age restrictions. These age limits aren't in place without good reason- it is for the health and physical development of the athletes. We can still SEE her gymnastics, because we can watch routines online etc. She doesn't have to compete in the Olympics to be a good gymnast OR for us to see her routines.

We have the rules for a reason. If someone being a great gymnast was the only thing that mattered we wouldn't have the age requirement.

~Katy

Seeing beautiful gymnastics(as long as it is safe) is definetly more important than following the rules. Well for me anyways. And how is the age restriction helping He Kexin in her health and development? None it is just taking away her chance of winning an Olympic medal this year. No she doesn't have to compete in an Olympics for her to be a good gymnast, but she will only be a good gymnast for so long and maybe that so long wont last until the next Olympics. The age restrictions are dumb and are only taking away great competition and dreams.

And how is the age restriction helping He Kexin in her health and development?

It's well known that the constant pounding required to train and prepare for big meets is harmful to a young body. This is why they made the rule in the first place. Granted, in China they may train just as hard year round but doubtful. This is why there are few junior international meets. It's just not good to train that intensely at a young age.

There's also the emotional side, where a younger individual may not question if they are being pushed too hard etc. An older girl is going to generally be better able to self advocate to help prevent injuries etc from over training. And over training is generally something than happens before huge meets, but not as much the rest of the year.

~Katy

China trains there young gymnasts just as hard as their older gymnasts and there is nothing wrong with them. And gymanstics stops puberty so most of the older girls have the same body as the younger girls and I'm sure one or two years wont mature a gymnast emotionally. I'm still standing behind my thought that the age restrictions are not needed and should be lowered.

China trains there young gymnasts just as hard as their older gymnasts and there is nothing wrong with them. And gymanstics stops puberty so most of the older girls have the same body as the younger girls and I'm sure one or two years wont mature a gymnast emotionally. I'm still standing behind my thought that the age restrictions are not needed and should be lowered.

Sorry as a mental health professional, I can assure you that children and adolescents DO mature emotionally and psychologically a *great deal* in just a couple of years.

Honestly it's a moot point what any of our personal opinions on the age limit. It is in place, it isn't going to be changed right now - it's the rules and that means something. You cant just go breaking rules cause you don't like them. Whether or not I agree with the rule, I do NOT agree with breaking it.

I'm glad that there is going to be a gymnast registry implemented. Granted people will still be able to fake birthdays on passports, but they wouldn't be able to do it last minute the year a good gymnast isn't old enough but is performing well in the olympic year.

Well, I watched the Chinese qualifying this morning and I have to say that He Kexin is definately underage, and so is Jiang Yuyuan. They honestly don't look over 14, but China is saying they're 17. Here is an article from Eurosport: Beijing 2008 - IOC: No underage gymnasts - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I've changed my mind about the whole age thing. It is totally unfair, and its disrespectful to FIG, the IOC, all the other countries and competitors, and the whole idea of the Olympics.

It also seems to be unfair on the gymnasts themselves. Cheng Fei and Li Shanshan barely even wobbled and looked to be the only confident ones on that team. The other girls were taking big steps, wobbling etc. Maybe its just neves, I don't know.

Gymnasts...even those who never reach the elite level...more often than not, end up with bodies which are badly damaged when their career is over. X-rays of gymnasts in their 20's often resemble the wear and tear of adults in their 40's and 50's. The younger the athlete, the more chance that the pounding and injuries will have an effect on their health later in life.

We only see six little Chinese gymnasts on the floor at the Olympics. The rule was put in place to at least discourage what has happened to countless other little girls who have dropped away due to physical and mental stress. These are basically child labor laws for gymnastics.

Postponing puberty actually allows time for a girl to grow more. They stop growing as they go through puberty. Besides the fact that they are probably considerably younger than they are said to be...those kids are hand picked to fit a body type. If they truly are small due to their training, that would be all the more reason to raise the age limit. The kids don't have the choice or understanding to sacrifice their bodies and minds, so there needs to be some sort of regulation.

Good post Lannamavity!!

I agree if you wreck your body when you are 12 and you happen to live to 80-you can bet you will have 40, 50, or even 60+ years of arthritis to look forward to. :(

Last edited:
Gymnasts...even those who never reach the elite level...more often than not, end up with bodies which are badly damaged when their career is over. X-rays of gymnasts in their 20's often resemble the wear and tear of adults in their 40's and 50's. The younger the athlete, the more chance that the pounding and injuries will have an effect on their health later in life.

You should tell this to the thousands of American children who do skills such as round-off backhandsprings at the age of three, four and five.

I completley agree, but I have noticed, it is not the Chinese who carry injuries, it is the Americans who are all injured. I think due to the throwing of skills to young, where as the chinese tend to condition ALOT more before skills are taught, so the muscles are taking more stress, and the joints, less.

Well, I watched the Chinese qualifying this morning and I have to say that He Kexin is definately underage, and so is Jiang Yuyuan. They honestly don't look over 14, but China is saying they're 17. Here is an article from Eurosport: Beijing 2008 - IOC: No underage gymnasts - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I've changed my mind about the whole age thing. It is totally unfair, and its disrespectful to FIG, the IOC, all the other countries and competitors, and the whole idea of the Olympics.

It also seems to be unfair on the gymnasts themselves. Cheng Fei and Li Shanshan barely even wobbled and looked to be the only confident ones on that team. The other girls were taking big steps, wobbling etc. Maybe its just neves, I don't know.
I'm currently watching the prelims right now and I totally agree. There's no way that all of those girls are 16 and above...some of them look like they're 12!

My mom hasn't followed international gymnastics since last Olympics, and she pointed out the main 3 right off the bat who are under controversy. She was like, "this one's twelve, that one there is maybe 13, and the other one is no older then 14", all in reference to Deng, Yuyuan, and He Kexin, in that order.

Haha your mom sounds like my mom last night watching the prelims. I havent come across anyone yet that thinks they are the age the Chinese claim

Just want ask a question here about China vs. USA and gymnastics. Maybe I am totally wrong here but I thought I read somewhere or heard on the Olympic coverage that China sends it's potential's at a young age to a sport school. If this is true, then the only life those girls know is gymnastics without their families for years, and without any other activities in their lives.

In defense of USA gymnastics Lasswade, most girls (there are some pushy moms out there) here have their life and familes outside gymastics & can give it up and move on to other things at free will.

Just want ask a question here about China vs. USA and gymnastics. Maybe I am totally wrong here but I thought I read somewhere or heard on the Olympic coverage that China sends it's potential's at a young age to a sport school. If this is true, then the only life those girls know is gymnastics without their families for years, and without any other activities in their lives.

In defense of USA gymnastics Lasswade, most girls (there are some pushy moms out there) here have their life and familes outside gymastics & can give it up and move on to other things at free will.

I think you're referring to an article from Time magazine, found here: http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/2008-bejing-olympics/11631-china-goes-gold.html

And yes, there was also a documentary done on how many young Chinese girls see their families only once every few months.

Thanks Gracefulone,

I hadn't read that article so maybe it was the documetary. I went and read it really quick. My heart hurts thinking about the children who may not want to be there and have no choice. And this...

"After all, for every Olympic champion the sports academies produce, hundreds of thousands of other children fail. Most of these kids miss out on the education provided in regular schools. The China Sports Daily estimates that about 80% of the country's retired athletes are plagued by unemployment, poverty or chronic health problems resulting from overtraining."

I understand a country's pride...but what a price to pay!

DH walked into the room during the pre-lims just as He Kexin was getting ready to do bars and said, "Holy cow, how old is that kid?". He knew nothing about the age issues being reported. When I told him she was 16 years old his response was, "By who's calendar".

It's just so sad that there seems to be a scandal story connected with every sport. Why can't everyone just follow the rules? We should be able to celebrate the hard work and dedication of these kids, at all of the various levels without so much controversy.:(

After hearing all sides, I think they should just get rid of the rule. Let's look at synchornized diving. They had a 14 year old male (Thomas Daley, I believe is his name) dive in the Olympics. Sure, he pretty much tanked in the end, but it was Britain's choice to put a young prodigy out on the platform. It's a risk they were willing to take, and were able to. That sport has no age limit if I've heard correctly, an athlete could be 4 years old and it wouldn't matter. And they're jumping off a 3 story high board. Mental capacity anyone? Gymnastics is also very physically demanding, but I think most people are more concerned over the athletes' emotional well being.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back