WAG Head Games workbook vs. CD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
Coming back from a 9 month injury break has been a rough process. My knee rarely ever gives me pain but my confidence and mental toughness is basically nothing. At first my thoughts were "You've been gone for 9 months give yourself a break you're going to be scared!" but after being back for a month and a half the fear is still there and it's just getting worse. I doubt myself on everything and not only is that dangerous if I balk (i sprained my ankle pretty bad going for my first tumbling pass since on floor because i balked!) but it has also done nothing to help my self confidence. Bars and vault aren't much of an issue, pretty straight forward, thankfully form and strength is slowly coming back. But floor and beam are a completely different story... I can barley walk down the regulation competition beam, let alone do any skills. I have always had issues with beam (it doesn't help this is where I hurt myself too) but now it is getting ridiculous. My mind is a complete mess and I cant think straight and my body starts to freak out and shut down to the point where I wont let myself go for any skills. I had a complete breakdown today trying to do half turns on the hip height beam. Everyone at the gym is trying to be supportive but sometimes it just makes it worse. They don't understand why I wont chuck a back tuck or why I have my coach spot me on the LOW BEAM, and neither do I. My coach and I talked today and he thinks that I may be slightly scared of the simple skills just because I haven't done them, but I'm also freaking myself out because I know these are leading to the bigger skills.

Anyways, I'm desperate to regain my confidence and not fear everything so much. I've heard great things about Doctor Ali's Head Games on here. Would you guy's recommend this, and do you think it could help? If so, would you recommend the 12 Week Mental Toughness Training workbook or the Train Your Mind visualization CD? If not this do you have anything else worth trying?

I also realize that this is a mental block issue, I've dealt with mental blocks before but nothing quite like this. I'm just looking for some advice and support on how to deal. You don't know how much any amount of advice would be appreciated.

I think you have it figured out, and I was thinking it before you said it. Sometimes I call it the progress penalty, and others I call it progress punishment. It's out there alright, and I think the best way to get past it is to have a talk with your coach......a real heart to heart where you can set up some ground rules. The first one that I'd suggest is you have total control over your rate of, well not progress because that's happening whenever you set foot on the beam.....more like control over the skills you do, where you do them, and an acceptable level of spotting when you feel you need it.

Really....if all you can do right now is walking on the beam, do that, and lots of it. You need time, and while you don't have to repeat every moment and milestone you've experienced on beam, you do have to spend some time making up for those lost months. Don't rush the skills, don't impose a time table......but do impose a rule that you spend your time on beam staying busy doing what you can without stressing yourself out.

Flips.....I don't know how old you are or how many years you've been at it, but figure it this way........

You had a bad moment on beam about 9 months ago that sent you a message that beam could hurt you, but geez that message took what, like nine years to show up? It could be that you have a nine year rate of injury, and the next "big one" will come 8yrs 3months from now. You gotta admit it's a pretty interesting concept, all you have to do is quit in about 8 years to avoid the next one.........;)

So figure it another way.....If you started gymnastics 9 years ago, it took you 8yrs 3months to get good enough to be working at the level you were at on beam just before your whoopsie. So don't hesitate to go at your own pace, because it's pretty easy to get there faster by going a little slower.......well, that's if you don't repeat those first 8yrs 3months moment for moment.

Good luck.......

My daughters gym had Dr. Ali come to work with the girls and parents. So my dd she uses the train your mind download on her ipod when she needs to get over a block or fear using the techniques. Some of the girls have used to workbook and others have skyped sessions. Doc Ali is really easy to talk with and you could email her with question/ concerns and see what she would suggest. Good luck :)

My DD did the headgames webcamp over the summer and it really did help her overcome some of her fears. She really connected with one of the instructors Jennifer Roitman She did 1 facetime session with her also and found it very helpful. Unfortunately, we could not longer afford to pay the monthly fee for the camp and many of her fears have come back. I wish I had purchased the Train your mind CD for her, that way she can play it when she needs it. Maybe I will look into it again. Good luck with your progress!

My DD did the headgames webcamp over the summer and it really did help her overcome some of her fears. She really connected with one of the instructors Jennifer Roitman She did 1 facetime session with her also and found it very helpful. Unfortunately, we could not longer afford to pay the monthly fee for the camp and many of her fears have come back. I wish I had purchased the Train your mind CD for her, that way she can play it when she needs it. Maybe I will look into it again. Good luck with your progress!

I bought the download (which was a little cheaper than the Cd) from the website and I put it on her ipod. Sometimes she listens to it before a meet since she usually bring her ipod with us.

While my gym daughter has not yet experienced any gym fears, we have come up against fears with both children in other areas of life. We have found a book called "The Tapping Cure" to be most helpful. (no affiliations etc) The author's website explains a bit about it. The Tapping Cure by Dr. Roberta You can probably find the book on Amazon, or maybe your local library. The technique is simple, no cost and can be done on yourself anywhere, any time.

It can be used on fears or anxieties. An example of it in use from real life: My young daughter was really really upset about something (I don't even remember what.) She was terribly worked up and absolutely sobbing. My husband tapped through the problem with her, on her, and within a minute she had calmed down almost completely. She had calmed down so much that she suddenly looked across the room, pointed at something, and said "I could take that for news at school tomorrow." (News tomorrow had not been the cause of distress - it was completely unrelated!) It was such a simple technique, and yet it calmed her down so very quickly.

It does seem a little wishy washy and weird, but if it works and it won't hurt, then why not?

FWIW...Doc Ali has actually mentioned the "Tapping Cure" in lectures at congress. Although she did not call it the "Tapping Cure" it was pretty much what is explained on that site.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back