Parents Headgames merchandise

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
In threads about fear and mental blocks, I've seen people who've used Alison Arnold's Headgames website. I was wondering if anyone has purchased any of the workbooks and if so, what you think of them. I was thinking of getting one for my dd, but wasn't sure which one to get. My dd is 11 doing level 7/8. There's one workbook that says it's for compulsory gymnasts age 9 and up, and another that says it's for optionals age 12 and up. I was wondering whether I should start with the first one, or if it would be too focused on compulsory skills and routines. Is it appropriate to start with the more advanced one or would you need to be familiar with the concepts in the first one to be ready for it? If anyone has experience with these to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I bought the workbook called "26 Week Mental Toughness Training Workbook" for gymnasts ages 9 and up. I looked through it and there are a lot of good exercises in there for teambuilding and confidence building. I am letting DD's coach borrow the book and use it for the team next year. Her coach is already using Doc Ali's techniques with her on some tumbling issues and has incorporated "The Confidence Ladder" in her drills. The book is layed out in a weekly program where there is something to do almost everyday. A lot of the exercises are done in groups or with other kids involved so that is why I figured that the coach may be able to put it to better use involving the whole team as opposed to me just having my dd work on the workbook by herself. I think summer time is a great time to work on something like this since there are no meets and practices are more laid back. I hope this helped!!!

Last edited:
I've never purchased the workbooks, so I'm not sure which would be most appropriate for your DD. But my DD does use many of Doc Ali's techniques successfully, I recommend them. I had taken DD to a sports psychologist who taught DD to use Doc Ali's techiniques regarding fear issues & mental blocks. Our biggest draw back is a coach who isn't on board with following the program:(. It's great for the gymmie to learn what she can do to help deal with her fears, but if the coach would play an active part soooo much more could be accomplished. Good luck with the program!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back