Healing a broken foot. How much how soon?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, i broke my foot on March 7th. i was in a cast for 7 weeks, and then in a boot up until last sunday. I went back to the doctor and he told me that i was released to do everything... in moderation. Well, i'm thinking, "Whats your idea of in moderation?" I've never broken anything before, and it still hurts sometimes, just randomly. My foot was broken right about where the arch meets the heel. I didn't have to have surgery or anything, but i broke it through a growth plate and a joint., It doesn't hurt a lot, but i'm wondering how much i can do and how soon? Also, how long is it going to hurt for?

PS. i have a try out for a new gym on June 1st ish. My dad is hoping to do it a week earlier, but it just depends on how fast i can make progress. I have been doing physical therapy for a couple of weeks, but i didn't do any jumping or anything. I really don't want to reinjure it now, so any suggestions would be helpful!

Just make sure you take it easy at first. Work out as hard as YOU feel your foot can take it, but when it starts to hurt make sure you stop and do easier skills...in order to not re-injure your foot. And i would wear a brace on it for probably the first few months you are back...that is what i did. Good luck getting ready for your tryout!

Ask your physical therapist. They can usually give you a very good idea of what you should and should not be doing at this point.

The doctor also told me that i dont' have to do PT anymore. I won't get to see my physical therapist until at least next week. And thats if she has an opening after school on a day that i don't have gym.
I have an ankle brace that i was supposed to be wearing before:rolleyes: but i'm wearing it now.
I did some backhandsprings on the beam and it didn't hurt. I also did some front and back tucks off the tramp into a pit, and that didn't hurt either. The only thing that really hurts it that i've tried so far is doing a jump on the beam that lands sideways, and then where i broke it lands right on the corner of the beam. That kind of hurts.
My ankle hurts more than anything. I think it needs to be adjusted, so i'm going to the chiropractor on thursday to get it fixed.
I still want to talk to somebody who broke their foot and see how it went for them, so i can have something to base it on.
Thanks for your advice!:)

when i injured my foot 2 years ago i only had a cast for a month :) but had to have PT for another month and a half. if you have any ?'s for me, feel free to ask :)

Usually "moderation" from a Dr means if its hurting when you do something - don't do it.

Now for a gymnast LOL that is a totally different definition.

Make sure you warm up properly! It might mean being there a bit longer than the other girls, but you have to watch your foot.

Start on the tramp and splat mats, try to avoid hard surfaces until you get used to the pounding again. :)

Good luck.

i'm running now. I ran to warm up, and then we played a running game for condtioning and i did that too. I've been doing stuff on the tumble tramp, like RO BHS. I did some back and front tucks off of it into a pit. I tried some vault today, too. My foot didn't hurt, but my ankle did, and then my toe started hurting. Stupid leg. I should just cut it off!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back