Parents healthy gym snacks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Our old gym had a no food rule . . . new gym has a vending machine eeeek! and everyone seems to be always eating or looking to eat.

Looking for some suggestions of what I can pack for her to snack on.

She has a peanut allergy, so most granola bars and trail mixes are out.

At home she eats those little dole cups of fruit - but I'm thinking that's not the kind of between event snack she can do.

THANKS!

Other then that she's having a blast at the new gym. Most of her team mates also moved to the same gym so she's not giving the switch a second thought. I, on the other hand, still feel nostalgic. I miss the old gym and the way it was . . . breaks my heart that things changed. But I know it's all for the best:eek:

Glad that she is adjusting well to her new gym. Kids are much more resilient than we are. LOL. I still miss the old gym sometimes, but I also know that Abby is in the best gym for her. She got her team DVD from old gym (the booster club president even got some pics of her in it) and I cried when I watched it. She never talks about her old gym at all.

As for snacks, how about popcorn (popped at home if possible), raisins, frozen gogurt. Kelloggs has some of their cereal bars that are peanut free, Nutrigrain (only the original apple, blueberry or strawberry), cheese cubes or sticks, a few saltines with some cheese, fresh fruit cut up in pieces, graham crackers, carrots/celery and cream cheese.

I am sure there will be lots more. One of our good friends at DDs old gym had a peanut allergy and Abby learned to only take snacks that were safe around her friend, so we researched it a bit. :)

Glad she is enjoying her new gym!

My dd has found a love for those little goldfish crackers. There are like 55 in a serving and it fills up a little snack bag. They have so many different flavors now, too. The popcorn is a good idea. I also cut up some watermelon or cantaloupe for her. Or, they also have started packaging little baby carrots in individual bags. Those with a small container of ranch dressing. Yum!

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am always on the lookout for healthy snacks. In the weekend, I like to make a large loaf of nut-free banana bread and pack slices of it for the week. Bananas are good too. My DD also likes baby carrots with dip, cut up fruit (strawberries and pineapple are a favorite), granola cereal with raisins mixed in, and those Wheat-Thin crackers with sunflower butter (from Trader Joe's).

Good luck! I know it's a constant battle with us when the other girls unpack gummy worms and pretzel sticks from the snack bags.

We are able to use the gym's freezer so I send those yogurt tubes and DD puts them in the freezer and uses them as she wishes. I have also sent Turkey Bites and Cheese Strings quick and some protein.
Glad to hear DD likes her new gym!

wholegrain Bagel and cream cheese
banana
cheese and crackers
fruit
veg and dip
wholgrain muffin
Yogourt
smoothie in a thermos (banana and other frozen fruit with ice cubes keep well)

Mine eat supper at the gym 3 nights a week, so we pack left over dinner from the night before.

We all seem to agree on most snacks. Cheese sticks, yogurt, fruit, pretzels, nutrigrain bars. My dd loves applesauce. Dry cereal such as honey-nut cheerios or rice checks is good too. And you could make your own mix with cereal, pretzels and raisins.

DD is not a big eater at the gym like some of our newbies. DD usually has a granolla bar or power bar if needed. She has also taken pretzles for a tummy tamer so to speak. On the way home she will have a yogart or carrots but nothing heavier. They practice 4 hours and DD says that she isn't hungry but sometimes her stomach hurts her a bit and her coach will MAKE her have a little snack.

Glad to hear DD is liking her new gym

Some of the things that I pack for dd to snack on while at the gym:

Z Bar (Made by Cliff Bars, but they are for kids) - they are organic, dd likes most of them Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip and there is an Apple one too.

Cut up cubes of chicken with cubes of organic raw sharp cheese - this has got to be one of her favorites.

Cliff Bar makes an organic fruit snack - sort of like a fruit roll up but all natural and organic.

Another favorite, but wouldn't work for your dd because of her allergies. My dd loves raw almonds and cashews.

Basically I try to stick to organic/natural and high in protein. Fruit is basically just sugar, the protein will sustain her through her workout. If I do fruit, I do fruit with a protein like an apple with organic/natural pb.

Where do you get the Clif bars? I searched and it looks like they're only available on-line. Do you think a health food store might carry them?

I sometimes worry if my dd eats enough. Not so much what she eats but is she getting enough calories. She's almost 8, weighs about 55 pounds and works out, during a normal season, about 14-16 hours/week. Even more now during the summer. I guess I could ask her pediatrician. Anyone know?

I get them at Target, buy them by the box (I think there are 6 in a box - something like $3.99 or $4.99 a box.) You can find them where the energy bars are. The are not Clif Bars, they are Z Bars, which is the kid version of Clif, made by Clif Bars. I've also found them individually at my local grocery store, they were on sale for $1 ea and it was a good way for her to sample the flavors.

Where do you get the Clif bars? I searched and it looks like they're only available on-line. Do you think a health food store might carry them?

I sometimes worry if my dd eats enough. Not so much what she eats but is she getting enough calories. She's almost 8, weighs about 55 pounds and works out, during a normal season, about 14-16 hours/week. Even more now during the summer. I guess I could ask her pediatrician. Anyone know?

Are you anywhere near a Trader Joes? That's where I buy them by the dozen.

Lots of other healthy stuff too.

If it helps, We were concerned about that as well since Nastia tends to eat like a bird. Her pediatrician once told us "I've never seen a preteen starve herself! Just have good food available when she needs it". We do, and she's not loosing weight, and her bodyfat percentage is in-line with what the doctors want. So we don't worry (as much) anymore.

My dd likes celery & natural PB sticks, "Fiber One" snack bars, Special-K bars (esp chocolate dipped ones), apples, bananas, cheese sticks, cheese and crackers, fresh cut melon, grapes, and of course she loves "Twix" on the rare times she gets them.

Before gym, we've been making fruit smoothies with fresh fruits and homemake yogurt (less sweet then store bought). This really gives her the 'get up and go' power for a while.

A simular thread was posted months ago. One of the suggestions was veggies and humus dip. I of course turned up my nose at the humus, as Nastia would too. Then a few weeks ago we took a real chance and tried it.

It's pretty darn good actually! :) I think the Marketers of the product need to come up with a more appealing name then "humus" though.

Personally, I would stay away from pre-packed fruit snacks like the ones from Dole. They are more sugar (syrup) then fruit. Fact of the matter is we stay away from many processed foods. Especiually foods that have the words "hydrogenated, modified, sugar, or high fructose" if they are in the first 3 ingredients. These ingredients feed bodyfat more then they feed us.

Last edited:
Erik typically has a Z-bar at snack. I looked at them and can't exactly remember the contents but they didn't seem too bad. Once upon a time I used to love CLIF bars but stopped when I noticed they used soy besides the fact they got old on me.

I try to keep cheese sticks and celery or carrots or bananas or the Trader Joes fruit jerky at the gym for myself and share it with the boys if they forget a snack. I used to make them have to do burpees for a snack but I haven't been doing that for months. It's important I have things to snack on at gym that are fast and they should be healthy if the kids see that I'm eating something. I try to keep it cost effective but I also keep frozen berries in the fridge because it's hot and frozen berries keep well besides I like to suck on them. I also like to keep hard boiled eggs. I'd keep deli meat around but it's too expensive typically for me to keep around. I also keep bananas or trail mix in my locker and sometimes apples. I personally love eatin melons in the summer are bringing them for my boys but they don't seem to like any kind of melons.

I generally keep a gallon of whole milk in the fridge which I sip in whenever I can sneak back to the fridge. Erik made the comment that he'd like to have some so I told him on the next gallon I'd start using a cup and be willing to share some. He actually said he didn't care if he shared it with me but then again this is a kid that will eat whatever falls on the floor with the 10s rule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back