Parents Healthy snack ideas for practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

caitydid

Proud Parent
My daughter is Xcel Silver and practices from 4p-8p twice a week. With our current schedule she gets off the school bus at my work and we immediately head to practice. I usually have her a snack to eat in the car (25 minute drive) and pack snacks for her to eat during break. I feel like I am running out of ideas. What are some healthy and filling snacks your gymnast likes? I have a fridge at work so I can keep things cold during the day.

The following recent thread has some great ideas. This is a topic that comes up often and people always have great suggestions!

The following recent thread has some great ideas. This is a topic that comes up often and people always have great suggestions!

Thank you so much! I am new to the forums and haven't had time to explore yet!

High carb snacks are the way to go! Before and during gymnastics snacks should be high carb, since they are easy on the stomach and provide the body with quick energy. Some of my favorite snacks are:
Dried fruit
Banana and peanut butter
Granola bars
Pretzels
Applesauce
Another dietitian I would recommend looking at is Kerry Bair.

High carb snacks are the way to go! Before and during gymnastics snacks should be high carb, since they are easy on the stomach and provide the body with quick energy. Some of my favorite snacks are:
Dried fruit
Banana and peanut butter
Granola bars
Pretzels
Applesauce
Another dietitian I would recommend looking at is Kerry Bair.
Thanks for the ideas!

My daughter's typical snacks for practice are raw veggies for dipping in guacamole, hummus, ranch or peanut butter (if it's celery). I do a lot of sweet bell peppers and cucs because they have a higher water content. In addition I send some type of granola bar and/or fruit, or sometimes cheese sticks.

My daughter’s favorite is oatmeal with a spoonful of sunbutter, fruit, and a handful of chocolate chips mixed into it.

Smoothies are our favorite- add frozen berries, greens, chia seeds, banana... it always gives a quick shot of nutrients and protein.

My daughter eats cubed up grilled chicken breasts. Either that, or some variant of a fried egg/omelet.

Thank you for all the ideas; they are really helpful. My daughter trains from 4-8pm three times a week, so it’s good to have some inspiration for different snack noptions.

Currently she usually has a smoothie (containing banana, yoghurt, and sometimes berries or other fruit), egg on toast, nut butter toast, or protein yoghurt with muesli after school and before heading to gym. For her gym snack, she’ll usually have a nut/nut butter/muesli bar and some pretzels/crackers/corn chips.

My DD loves applesauce pouches, apple or banana chips, nut butter bars, and beef jerky. I like the quick shot of carbs from the fruit and yogurt pouches and the fruit chips that provide the energy bursts needed, but I also like the protein and fat that come from the nut butter and the jerky to help sustain that energy.

Nut butter is a good choice, but not necessarily for inside the gym — ours doesn’t allow any but products.

Nut butter is a good choice, but not necessarily for inside the gym — ours doesn’t allow any but products.

I agree it may not work for all gyms and all teams. None of DD’s teammates have nut allergies, and they have their own little break area, so they allow it. Definitely check with the gym’s rules regarding nuts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back