Parents Heel "Bone Bruise"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amusibus

Proud Parent
My gymmie got knocked over the other day at practice and somehow her heel came down hard on one of those round iron weights that slides onto the bar for lifting. I can't really understand her description of how it happened, just that her heel got a hard whack. This was 3 days ago. She came out limping, and I had her ice it a few times but she can't really weight bear. Thinking today it should be getting better by now so I took her for x-ray, which was negative. I spoke to the doctor and she felt it was a bone bruise, and would go away in 3 - 5 days. Doc said to get her weightbearing asap. This afternoon she seemed a bit better, but very sore by evening. I am just wondering, has anyone else gone through this with their child? How long did it take for them to get better? I am also keeping in mind my kid is a bit of a hypochondriac and needs x-rays for a paper cut, if you know what I mean. Thanks

Not my gymmie but DS hurt his heel recently and I almost took him for an x-ray from the way he carried on. The only thing that held me back is that he ALWAYS carries on like that and even if he had cracked it there wouldn't be anything to do but sit back and wait anyhow. It took him about a week to stop fussing about it, but he finally did. The thing that helped the most was ignoring him complaining. ;)

My dd hurt her hand and we thought it was broken. it wasn't the dr said it was a bone bruise and she would need to stay out 2 weeks. Within a few days she was back to doing everything with no pain. Every child is different so who knows how long it will take your dd. The difference between a heel and a hand is that she is on her heel all day every day I bet. I would think if you could get her to elevate and ice it a few times a day it would help.

Something like that happened to me once but I was about 15. I whack my heel on the beam falling on a back tuck. I had states awhile later and still competed, not 100% but was able to do everything. But it healed pretty quickly, maybe a week after it happened, and it didn't get worse from doing stuff on it. Ibuprofen helped, or maybe just have me a placebo effect. I never went to the doctor because I could tell it wasn't broken (it was just my heel) and heels are pretty hard to break anyway. It also wasn't just a surface bruise or something because it took too long to go away. Putting weight on it felt weird, almost like burning or intense itching? I can't describe it.

My DD was injured during a meet once--fell back onto the corner of the springboard from her squat-on during warm-ups for bars. The entire bottom of her heel turned black and blue. We didn't have it x-rayed, so I don't know for sure whether it was a bone bruise or just a bad regular bruise. She scratched the remaining events at that meet and took maybe two days off from practice. After that, she felt like she could carry on without a whole lot of impact. She was back to normal in a couple weeks. I bought her a gel heel insert for her shoes to cushion it a bit when she was outside of the gym, and that helped, along with ibuprofen.

Hope she heals fast! :)

Took DD's friend over four weeks to heal from bone bruises on both heels. She landed hard from a leap on stage during a dance competition. They are very painful.

Thanks for your replies. She is already starting to improve. Seems better in the daytime now but still hurts in the evening. Hard to tell with this kid, she is 8, not a great communicator and a major drama queen :)

My Dd had a bone bruise on her heel. Doc said two weeks off for it to heal. He booted her since he knew she couldn't stay off it. She worked out at gym in her boot and was good as gold with no residual pain in two weeks.

If anyone her has ever bruised their tailbone, they (and me) can tell you it can take a little while to feel completely better.

My DD had a bone bruise on the top of her foot last year (even had MRI to make sure it wasn't broken) and it took weeks to heal (at least 4--more like 6 weeks)

It sounds like there is a range of severity for these. Or perhaps the doc over-diagnosed her, and it was just a soft tissue thing. Today she seems about 90% better - 5 days after the incident. I think she will be fine to go to practice tomorrow.

Moxiegrl83, a tailbone bruise is much more complicated. Lots of little teeny muscles connecting to it that can go into spasm. Boy are those a bugger to treat. Glad you're over it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back