Hello Fellow Gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I am the mother of a 10 year DD who is currently competing level 8 this season. She has been in gymnatics for 4 years and seems to really like it. I'm learning that going from compulsory to optional is very difficult and I'm trying to communicate with other parents without communicating with the parents in my gym. My DD is extremely dedicated but out of 6 girls on her team she always falls last and this has become discouraging for her. I don't know what to say to her other than to just have fun and do your best. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Sincerely, the DD's Mom

I think that the fact that she's only 10 years old and a Level 8 already (after doing gymnastics for only 4 years?!) Is pretty amazing in and of itself!!!

Keep in mind most gymnasts do at least two seasons of level 8 (it's not even very unusual to do three). Same with level 9. Rarely do girls move as quickly and easily through 8,9,10 as they got used to at the lower levels. Many of the girls your daughter is competing against probably have a year or more of competitive experience with the level 8 skills. Especially since optional age groups tend to have a wide age range, some of them will just have a couple years on her. I would remind her that she will have time to perfect these skills in the future and then she will be succeeding in competitions too. Sometimes what makes the difference are things that will be in reach: getting that tsuk vault, having the pirouette click, stronger beam series. Eventually it'll all come together. It's hard to see right now because as the progress comes, it may be relatively small, and not impact her all around performance much, but eventually it'll all add up and she will be a stronger L8.

Thanks Gymdog but unfortunately for me its more complicated. The other girls are first year level 8's as well and the same age. I see the disappointment with her sometimes and other times she is okay with always being 5th or 6th...I'm extremely proud of her for working so hard though. I just don't want to be that parent that pushes her too far...I just want to get it through to her how proud I am of her. Thanks for the advice though...its nice to know someone understand the sport. Oh, and just to let you know she is actually doing Yurchenko pike vault...just having a hard time staying off her bum..LOL

Hi, I am the mother of a 10 year DD who is currently competing level 8 this season. She has been in gymnatics for 4 years and seems to really like it. I'm learning that going from compulsory to optional is very difficult and I'm trying to communicate with other parents without communicating with the parents in my gym. My DD is extremely dedicated but out of 6 girls on her team she always falls last and this has become discouraging for her. I don't know what to say to her other than to just have fun and do your best. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Sincerely, the DD's Mom

wow.. she has only been in gymnastics for 4 years and is a level 8!? thats crazy.. but i know exactly how she feels. i was always the one on the team that never had as clean of skills and usually placed last out of the 8 or 9 girls on my team, even though i worked just as hard. some people are just naturally talented and everyone progresses at different speeds. the best thing for you to do is continue to be extremely supportive of her and let her know how proud you are of her and how hard she is working. my parents were the same way and it helped me out a lot :applause:
as for advice for her id say to jus enjoy the sport and have fun with it! not everyone can be the best, the most important thing is that she is having fun and doing what she loves :lovestruck:

My dd has been in the same spot before (she's currently an 11yo level 8). It helps to focus on personal goals - like landing that pike on her feet. (Mine also vaults a Y-pike - at practice, but seems to always have trouble with it at meets. She's hoping to pull it off at states.) Also, don't focus too much on the actual scores, it will make you all crazy. And be patient and persistent.

Hard work given time will defeat talent.

This is one of the quotes I lived by, granted high school gymnastics is different than club I realize. But I started off with very very few and very basic skills, but I worked hard in the offseason at a gym I had gone previous to hs, and by my junior year I was competing varsity vault consistently and was the one who had to be ready to go on the other three, and senior year I finally medaled at a varsity meet.

As long as her passion and dedication stay strong she will notice improvements.

One thing our coaches did was had us write down our goals, then it give you a checkpoint to see how you're progressing and it helps you to recognize the little skills along the way that add up to the big picture. It also helped to focus on you. gymnats can get caught up so easily in teammates who have 'bigger' skills. Goals helped our teammates and coaches to be really intune to each gymnast's individual sucess, and there's nothing better than having the support of you teammates. It also helps to break things down and not be constantly focused on the 'big picture.'

So focus on her individual success and improvements. whether it's getting new skills or perfecting the ones she has, if she keeps at it and continues to enjoy it I'm positive she will be sucessful, and it's that much sweeter when it finally happens knowing you worked your butt off for it =)

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to message me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back