Hello from Hawaii!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi my name is Richard and I'm from Oahu, Hawaii.

I realy want to start doing gymnastics even though I'm old (18)and realy tall (6-4) I'm not trying to get into the olympics or anything, I just want to learn as much stuff as I can, and I think I could learn alot by talking to actual gymnasts.

I learned alot of stuff at home after watching the olympics, but I broke my foot a few weeks ago trying a fulltwist ( it probably wasn't a smart thing to try by myself.)so I can't do anything right now.:(

Hey Richard!! Welcome to the CB! You'll learn a lot from this site! There are a lot of very experienced and great coaches, gymnasts and parents on here. You will also soon learn that coaching yourself by "watching the olympics" is not the brightest idea!!! hehe. (I had to slip that in there :D ) Have fun and welcome!!!

Thanks for the welcome:D

I already figured out it isn't he smartest thing to by myself lol buts it's the only way I can learn until I get my drivers license.

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! It is possible you can be a gymnast but boy are you tall! That part makes it unlikely but hey who knows! :D Glad to see new people joining!

Thanks for the welcomes:)

My family might eventually move to Arizona, wich is realy different compared to Hawaii, it might be fun though.

I want to work at a gym so I could use their stuff, maybe they would let me be a janitor or something.:D

Welcome to the Chlkbucket Richard. Nice back tuck, though the Mom in me was trrified that you'd land on your head!!!

If you move to Arizona there are lots of great clubs there. You could apply to train as a coach, gyms are always looking for enthusiastic teenagers to coach MAG. The hours are good for students and of course a perk of the job is the gym.

Good luck in the future.

So if I want to work at a gym I could maybe be a coach, even if I never did gymnastics before? that would be alot better than being a janitor. lol

In the US many coaches learn to coach at the gym they work at. The fact that you are interested and motivated is a great thing.

You obviously have some body awareness (even though you broke your foot!) as you can flip.

Why aspire to be the janitor, when you could learn to be a coach. All coaches start somewhere and you'd be amazed how many awesome coaches never did gymnastics.

Anyway, nice to have you onboard!

In the US many coaches learn to coach at the gym they work at. The fact that you are interested and motivated is a great thing.

You obviously have some body awareness (even though you broke your foot!) as you can flip.

Why aspire to be the janitor, when you could learn to be a coach. All coaches start somewhere and you'd be amazed how many awesome coaches never did gymnastics.

Anyway, nice to have you onboard!
Wow, I didn't know that!
I would like to be a coach, is it a volunteer thing or do they get money too? You could probably learn alot of moves coaching, huh?

Thanks for the information.

Usually coaching is paid,otherwise nobody would be able to afford to do it.:D I know one our Moms here just became at coach at her girls gym, I'll PM you her name and you can ask her how it went.

So if I want to work at a gym I could maybe be a coach, even if I never did gymnastics before? that would be alot better than being a janitor. lol

Probably, there aren't as many teenage guys who want to coach but the younger boys classes respond much better to it. Plus I have seen people more likely to choose programs where their sons can work with male coaches at the lower levels so gyms view it like marketing. It's possible to learn pretty quickly how to teach the early classes. I definitely know people who have done it. Working camps is a great summer job. Also with the popularity of all star cheer growing in the US, if you're near a cheer gym you could teach cheer tumbling.

Probably, there aren't as many teenage guys who want to coach but the younger boys classes respond much better to it. Plus I have seen people more likely to choose programs where their sons can work with male coaches at the lower levels so gyms view it like marketing. It's possible to learn pretty quickly how to teach the early classes. I definitely know people who have done it. Working camps is a great summer job. Also with the popularity of all star cheer growing in the US, if you're near a cheer gym you could teach cheer tumbling.
I didn't know that.
And if I coach I would probably learn some stuff myself, yea?

Honestly, if you can do a back tuck, all the stuff you'd be coaching in the beginning levels is not really beyond your grasp. But you will learn a lot about gymnastics that will probably help and at some gyms the younger adult coaches do mess around some once in awhile, at least where I've worked, and they would probably show you a bunch of stuff. You can pick up stuff just being around gymnastics so I guess yes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back