Hello from SC...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hello everyone.... Our Family has a DD who is 3 1/2, will be 4 in October. We are looking into starting her into Gymnatics this summer. Right now we are looking into Aiken Gymnastics since we want to give her the best option around our area in case she excels:)

If anyone know any other great gyms around Aiken, SC/ Charleston, SC/ Savannah or Augusta, GA and Columbia, SC please let us know:) we are still open to the best possible gym for our little girl:)

Right now we are not as big on getting into the best gym, but one where we know she will be taught properly and given the best chance to be as good as she can be.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket and the fun, crazy ride that gymnastics can be.

I would suggest making a new post with a title like "looking for SC gyms". We do have parents and coaches here from the area and they are likely to answer if they see your question.

The most important thing at age 4 is to find a gym where she will have fun. I would look for a separate preschool area with equipment for preschoolers and not be concerned about the quality of the team since you don't even know if she will enjoy it yet. Some gyms have excellent preschool programs but so-so teams and vice versa. My dd fell in love with gymnastics at a small rec gym that didn't even have a team but it gave her the foundation she needed and most importantly a love for the sport! On the other hand, she had a friend to tried a class at a well known gym and her daughter did not like it. The instructor was knowledgable and knew how to correct form but was not preschooler-friendly. She did not try gym again until age 7 and then loved it and went on to try out for team but by then she was age 9. Any gym that is close with caring and knowledgeable preschool instructors will be a great start. I think the most important thing to find is an instructor who is very good with preschoolers. I would not make a long drive for a preschooler just starting out. When they are young and not yet on team it is very easy to move gyms as the kids and instructors tend to change after each semester or year anyway.

At 3 1/2, she does need gym to be fun. She also needs to try out other things as well... dance (princess ballerina classes are ADORABLE), playgroups, art, etc. You don't know what the future may bring, just make sure that whatever she does is just fun right now and leaves her wanting more.

I also agree with focusing on finding a quality pre-school program rather deciding based on team programs. Also, ask about turn-over rate for the pre-k instructors. Unfortunately, pre-k/rec gymnastics has the highest instructor turn over rate. It may not seem like a big deal for a 1x/wk class, but it is. constant changes really kill the trust factor in young children, which is not good when they are trying to do new "scary" things. Walking on a 4in beam is scary to a 3 yr old, regardless of how high it is. There are some great team programs in SC. We are in NC and compete against them often. If the time comes when your little one wants to pursue team, you'll have many to choose from.

I grew up in Charleston and that's where I did my gymnastics although it was really too long ago for me to be helpful (I stopped competing in the mid-90s, but I actually do think my last coach, who I was with for about a year or two, is still running her gym, East Cooper Gymnastics, but at the time it was a new gym and I moved away from SC and don't really know how her program developed). Mostly I just wanted to say hi to a fellow South Carolinian.

I agree that you need to find a gym that has a good preschool program first and foremost. If she shows interest and aptitude, you can always switch to another gym later on. Most gyms are not going to start kids on a developmental track until about age 5 or so anyhow, and at that age, it needs to be about fun -- your kid needs a chance to get bitten by the gymnastics bug before any big decisions are made. There is a good point being made too about how not all gyms with strong teams also have good programs for little little kids. You need something safe and fun, not necessarily competitive. I also wouldn't do a big commute for preschool gymnastics. There is plenty of time for that later if she decides she wants to stick with the sport.

Yes!!! I go to Aiken Gymnastics and it's great. The coaches are amazing and the girls are sooo nice. Definitely recommend Aiken Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back