Hello

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I did gymnastics while growing up and through high school. Turned out for the HS track team my junior year and they got me hooked on the pole vault which was a new event for girls back then. Ended up pole vaulting in college, but was fortunate enough to have some access to gymnastics clubs and have been able to do it off and on throughout the years since HS. I now run a big website about pole vaulting, the chalkbucket.com of the pole vault world I guess :)

I recently moved near Astoria, OR and the closest gymnastics clubs are over an hour away, so no more gymnastics for the time being :(

That's me!

NIce to have you here, post the link for your board as I know pole vaulting is often a way that ex gymmies go.

Hope you get to indulge your gymnasts here even if not in the gym right now.

I see you live in the Boonies, we are neighbours, that's where I live too, except I am next to a field full of cows in Quebec!

Welcome to the Chalkbucket! Hoping you can get your gymnastics fill here for the time being!

NIce to have you here, post the link for your board as I know pole vaulting is often a way that ex gymmies go.

Hope you get to indulge your gymnasts here even if not in the gym right now.

I see you live in the Boonies, we are neighbours, that's where I live too, except I am next to a field full of cows in Quebec!

My forum is at PoleVaultPower.com • Index page I would say that a majority of female pole vaulters have a gymnastics background. Certainly not all, but gymnastics training is something that all of the elite vaulters do. We have a lot of pole vault specific drills that we do on rings/bars/rope. It's also considered important to be able to do things on the strap bar (or a regular bar) like giants, free hips, kips, etc.

Noteworthy former gymnasts that picked up pole vaulting:
Amy Chow - I am sure you all know who she is! She pole vaulted about 13' and did it while she was in med school (which is just craaazy).

Andreé Pickens - NCAA Champion from Alabama. She went over 14' and made it to the Olympic Trials last year. She was my roommate for a few months and is the coolest person EVER :) And she has her own bobblehead doll.

Carly Dockendorf - She was an NCAA All-American at the University of Washington in both gymnastics and track and field. What's crazy is she competed during the track and field indoor season which is at the exact same time as the NCAA gymnastics season. Now she is the head gymnastics coach at Seattle Pacific and one of the top Canadian pole vaulters.

Internationally, I think that Svetlana Feofanova was an internationally ranked Russian gymnast back in the 1990s before she switched to pole vault.

World Record holder Yelena Isinbayeva (also Russian) switched to pole vault when she got too tall for gymnastics, I think around age 16 or so.

My daughter is also a swimmer and does pole vaulting and shot put in track. The coaches at our school all love the fact she has so much upper body strengthen which all goes back to her 10+ years of gymnastics training. She's not as good as the other former gymnasts listed but she does hold the school record and she did it with out a pole vaulting coach.

hello i am jeesamarteen i did gymnastics while growing up and through high school.

Welcome to CB!!! I love that you have gymnastic & polevaulting experience!!!! I'm sure you'll bring lots of interesting input to our posts!!! My DD is 14yrs old, just started highschool & is training L8. She's struggling with fear issues, although this week is going well & she's made some really good progress :D . She did school track last year(long jump & sprinting) & did very well. Although she's afraid to try polevaulting! She loves gymnastics, but I'm glad she tried track & knows that she has that option, should she ever want to pursue it. Who knows she's over come many gymnastic fears...maybe she could over come her polevaulting fear too:D. Just wondering, did you do both gymnastics & track in highschool??? And if so were your coaches in both ok with that? DD's gym hated that she was doing track last year & treated her awful for it:(.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back