Help! Back layout!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

I've been struggling for a long time with my back tumbling. We've been doing a LOT of work on the basics and I've got a pretty good round-off back-handspring now, and a better back tuck. My problem is that I can barely get my layout around and it goes too far back instead of up. Sometimes the landing kills my ankles. None of the other girls have this problem so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. When I try to go up more, I can barely get around. How do I fix this?

I'm really nervous that I won't get my tumbling in time for the next competing season...it's really bothering me. :(

Make sure that when you set up into your layout that you have your feet just a little bit behind you. Because layouts are more similar to back handsprings than back tucks, part of you may be putting your feet under yourself like you would in a back handspring.

Also, squeeze your stomach/butt as hard as you can until it becomes natural to you.

On a side note, throwing your head back can also really make you arch badly and cut off a lot of your height.

Feel the set, lift high with your shoulders, block(as in pull up as high as you can) then pull your toes over your head with your butt squeezed. If you find that the landing kills your ankles you probably are landing short and need a higher set and faster rotation (also you may want to use mats in practice to spare your ankles) a higher set and better block is achievable with handstand(or backhandspring) snap down jump up to a block using your shoulders to lift you and with a tight body. I hope this helps;P

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back