Parents Help! Bun keeps falling out at competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has long THICK hair. Gel, high pony (tight, hair tie wrapped 3-4 times around). Separate the pony into 2 parts. Hold one and twist one then around the base. Hair tie. Do not pull the long piece thru. Now twist the 2nd piece and wrap that around, another hair tie (this one usually only goes around twice). Hair net (one net folded over 3 times so it's snug against the bun). Another hair tie over that. Now the scrunchie. Bobby pin loose pieces. LOTS OF HAIRSPRAY (Aquanet purple can works best).

Gel, lots of gel. You could even try Gorilla Snot. I know some dancers use it, powerful stuff.

AS for the bun. Put it in tight ponytail, then braid into multiple brads, wrap into bun. Use lots of pins and a net. Have you tried spin pins?

This video shows a braided bun:

My dd has the sleek, shiny hair that falls out of everything. She is Asian, and it is a texture thing. What we found is that I need to crimp her hair with a crimper to create a rougher texture to get anything to hold.

I can do all sorts of ponytails, braids and buns, but they all slip right out, even with gel and spray, unless I rough up her hair texture first. The best is dirty hair that has been crimped and then brushed, to make it frizz from the crimper. It looks terrible before going into the bun, but it holds.

I hate buns! We started doing a french braid across the front to reduce the amount of hair in the bun. I'll try to post a pick. All of the girls love it and are now asking for it.

I was a professional dancer. I'm a bun pro.
I find dirty hair works best. Pull it up in a high pony tail, 2 or 3 hair elastics. Then split the pony in half. Twist and wrap the first half around, secure it with bobby pins. Do the same with the second, secure with bobby pins, a hair net, more bobby pins and a scrunchy. This makes a tight flat bun. I spray it with tons of hairspray so it's shellacked into place.

Just had an In House meet and almost all the girls had the WORST case of 'Floppy Bun'
At least this was the firt bun of the season!

I envy all of you your bobby pins. Never allowed in t&t, which makes the whole proposition that much more a pain!

I envy all of you your bobby pins. Never allowed in t&t, which makes the whole proposition that much more a pain!
We've never had that said to us - that bobby pins aren't allowed. When DD was in artistic we were told no bobby pins because they fall out. If they fall out you're doing it wrong. I'm a bun/French braid pro and we use a bun maker for DD's hair. The actual only bobby pins I use are 4 to snug the hair net in place and I've never had any fall out. And you can't see them because the scrunchie goes around it all at the end. LOTS of hair spray.

And to clarify - I used to coach a team of colorguard girls and have done buns and French braids on every type of hair imaginable. Dirty hair is best, and the bun up there with the multiple braids is a great idea for thicker hair. Silicone hair ties are also key for thick, slick hair. See if your coach will allow a French braid into a bun - it will reduce the amount of hair in the actual bun and make it more manageable.

My daughter doesn't have especially thick hair but it is long (butt length) and VERY slippery.
The day before I braid her damp hair into several silly looking braids and then the morning of I take them out and her hair has quadrupled in volume! :)
We then do a tight pony with two elastics. Slide the donut on and have her lean forward and spread the hair evenly. Put one small elastic over it to keep it sleek and then double band another elastic over it.
Next I start at the front and start the braid the hair that's hanging out. I have her turn as I do it and I keep gathering more hair as I go. I use a tiny clear band at the end and then wrap that around and tuck it in. Then we put a hair net over and then the scrunchie. This seems to be the only way we can get it to stay.

My daughter doesn't have especially thick hair but it is long (butt length) and VERY slippery.
The day before I braid her damp hair into several silly looking braids and then the morning of I take them out and her hair has quadrupled in volume! :)
We then do a tight pony with two elastics. Slide the donut on and have her lean forward and spread the hair evenly. Put one small elastic over it to keep it sleek and then double band another elastic over it.
Next I start at the front and start the braid the hair that's hanging out. I have her turn as I do it and I keep gathering more hair as I go. I use a tiny clear band at the end and then wrap that around and tuck it in. Then we put a hair net over and then the scrunchie. This seems to be the only way we can get it to stay.

That is the exact way that worked on my dd waist length very thick very heavy hair. Basically you french plait the loose hair from the donut instead of just wrapping it, or plaiting and wrapping. Lots of gel and spray and using damp hair helped too. Sometimes used 3 strong bands on the first pony tail. The tighter that is the better the bun. Nothing else has ever worked like that.

I haven't read all the responses - but our gym has a set way to do the bun, and really I think it works great!
Basically, pony at the crown, lots of gel and fine tooth comb to set the sleek part, re-set the pony as necessary.
Then, split into two sections, and gel and braid them. Then wrap the braided sections around to make the bun, hair net, scrunchy. Using this method, I only use 2 bobby pins and 2 hair pins. But, my dd has thin hair. Those girls with thick hair use much more....
The goal with the gel is is should look exactly the same the next DAY! LOL

My dd has the sleek, shiny hair that falls out of everything. She is Asian, and it is a texture thing. What we found is that I need to crimp her hair with a crimper to create a rougher texture to get anything to hold.

I can do all sorts of ponytails, braids and buns, but they all slip right out, even with gel and spray, unless I rough up her hair texture first. The best is dirty hair that has been crimped and then brushed, to make it frizz from the crimper. It looks terrible before going into the bun, but it holds.
I second the dirty hair thing!!! It TRULY works! And makes sense too...wth would my dd have clean hair before getting it worked over with gel, hairspray, and God knows what else, lmao....

We are also a no-pin gym. We have a specific set of directions for buns that I have never seen fail on any hair, including my daughter's VERY thick, yet very fine, nearly waist-length mane. First, we have a no-wash rule a couple of days before the meet. Then proceed as follows:

1. High pony tail, using at least two hair ties. Gel all stray hairs into place.
2. Put a series of small barrettes around the pony to hold the hair in place. DD needs four; I have seen girls with six or eight circling the pony.
3. Gel the pony. Wind the hair around to make the bun.
4. Secure the bun with at least two hair ties crossed across the top of it and around the base of the pony. Warning -- if your daughter has a lot of hair, you will need strong fingers to do this part.
5. Hair net around the bun. Two if you're nervous.
6. Spray the heck out of the thing.

I got in trouble last night. I tried a new fancy French braided bun thing. It was so pretty but apparently it fell out on the first front tuck. Bobby pins and her bow went flying. I've now been told no more pins... [emoji20]

4. Secure the bun with at least two hair ties crossed across the top of it and around the base of the pony. Warning -- if your daughter has a lot of hair, you will need strong fingers to do this part.
Suggestions for really strong pony tail holders? We have the regular ones from the drugstore (scruncii brand or something) and when I've done this method with my ODD they always snap in my hand or snap right out of her hair. Her hair has killed so many pony tail holders! She keeps a stash of 5 or so in her gym bag for when they randomly pop in practice. She has VERY thick hair.

There's a scrunchii variety that's longer. We have shifted to that one for most things. DD is a hair tie killer as well. I am convinced we are keeping the company in business. She keeps her supply conveniently stored on her wrist.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back