Coaches HELP - Confused Mom NEEDSCoaching Advice. Sorry so long !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have 2 girls in gymnastics (one will be 6 next week &a 7.5 yr old). They have been going tothe same gym for approx 4 years. Theyare on the "developmental" team which is approx Level 2.

I am having some issue at my gym and decided to have themtested at a 2nd gym

At the second gym, they told me the girls are a bit behind& are at approx between a level 1-2& that they lack strength and flexibility. If I enroll into the 2nd gym, they want to place in a beginners class -Level 1 and sharpen their skills, challenge and push the girls.

The owner of this 2nd gym was a collegegymnast who is the main coach of the girls team. They also have 2 girls who receivedscholarships for college. The owner of the 2nd gym use to work/be the maingirls coach but there was a fallout - so there is probably some bad bloodthere

The issues I have at my gym:

- "badhabits" are not being corrected - backwards rolls using their heads
- bridges usingtip-toes.
- lack of owner involvement -(years ago - he uses to be agirls competition judge - but now he only wants to do the business side of the gym .) Not sure if this is a bad thingor not.

I have never received a "report card" on mygirls progress ever. I am just told theyare great and doing well.

- I have to ask whatthe background of all the coaches are. There is no listing/posting/picture anywhere

I told my gym what the 2nd gym said (not telling themexactly who there were) and my gym now wants to move the girls to Level 3 tohone in on their skills, challenge & push the girls.

SO - MY PROBLEM -- do I keep them at my original gym andhave them go to Level 3 and see how they advance or go to the new 2nd gym andhave them go to a "beginner's" class for 3 mos then advance class for3 months then try-out and hope they make the level 2 or 3 team?

The 2nd gym is a bit more pricey

FYI - the 7.5 yr old can do a pull-over, back hip circle 50%of the time, good cartwheels, handstands etc. The 6 yr old can do all above but had time with backwards roll and backhip circle 25% of the

Do you think the 2nd gym owner told me these things to getme to leave the 1st gym.

SHOULD I HAVETHEM TESTED AT A 3RD GYM TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY

I don't know what you did, but I think you need to try and repost the question as that ^^^ is unreadable.

Do not try to use formatting, it just doesn't work here.

Am I reading this right? They have been doing gymnastics for 4 years and are level 1's? Or have they been attending that gym for 4 years total between the 2 of them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Have been going for 4 years...they are in Level 2 - Developmental.

The new gym states they are between a level 1-2. Says they the girls lack strength and flexability. I had them tested at the 2nd gym because I wanted to switch them.

The owner of the 2nd gym used to work at my gym go there may be some bad blood there.

The 2nd gym wants to place the girls in a beginner - level 1 class.

I spoke to my gym about what was said and they now want to move my girls to level 3 class to work on strength/flexabilty and to challenge the girls.

DON't know what to do!

If you want them to do gymnastics long term they need to have good basic skills from the start. Strength and flexibility need to be worked on at every class and every skill needs to be performed correctly. No point in moving to L3 if L1 and L2 skills are not perfected.

Without seeing your girls I can only assume that the current gym is very relaxed and not too picky about the skills. It also sounds like gym number 2 sees they have potential but see that their basics are lacking, though fixable.

What other things about the 2 gyms do you like or dislike?

Okay sounds to me like gym 1 wants to push them up the levels too fast as putting someone up a level is not going to help them gain strength or flexibility, its just going to put them behind on skills, strength and flexibility. I say this because generally, if you put them in a group outside their capabilities and are given a strength activities beyond their capabilities a lot of gymnasts will cheat and do less reps and therefore get weaker rather than stronger. I'm not saying your kids are like that but I've seen it happen when kids aren't ready for a particular group. Having said that holding a kid back isn't always the solution but if the coaches excuse for moving them up a group is they are lacking in strength and flexibility and it will push them more makes me think the second gym could be right.

If the second gym was just saying all that to make you swap gyms then I would be very surprised as that is just childish and immature. If you want a 3rd opinion go to a third gym, which might be best as it will give you a better indication of which gym is more accurate in their abilities.

Am I reading this right? They have been doing gymnastics for 4 years and are level 1's? Or have they been attending that gym for 4 years total between the 2 of them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

If they've been doing gymnastics for 4 years, they started at 2 and 3 years old. 4 years to advance to the skills listed is nothing for a preschooler. It's different than starting at 6 or 7.

Anyway, I would probably try the other gym if you're unhappy with the current one, and it seems reasonable since they don't seem to have a very "together" plan for the lower levels. But I don't think a lack of report cards is unusual. If you're looking to switch gyms, and there are further options, I'd recommend you explore those as well and try to find the one that will be the best fit long term - a program philosophy and commitment the fits with your family's priorities, since two girls in competitive gymnastics is a huge family endeavor.

The red flag for me is that when you told Gym 1 you went and got tested somewhere else they immediately offered to move your girls up a level. What that tells me is that they are not concerned about developing your girls properly they just want to continue to collect your tuition. If the girls do not get there basics down strong it will be much harder for them to progress. Gym 1 is trying to make you feel good about the girls getting moved up so that you will stay without worrying about how it will affect your girls down the road. If they were ready to move up to level 3 they would have discussed this with you before.

If they've been going to Gym #1 consistently for 4 years and haven't advanced beyond Level 2, you should move. That is ample time to have gained skills to compete at Level 4 for the older girl and at least Level 3 for the younger DD. Some gyms are relaxed and don't have the long term/big picture in mind, but if the girls are interested in competing then you should move them to a gym that can support that. Also, if they want to compete, they likely need to go more than 1 hour a week. I didn't see where you stated how often they go, but that is also a consideration. Does Gym #1 have a competition team?

If they've been going to Gym #1 consistently for 4 years and haven't advanced beyond Level 2, you should move. That is ample time to have gained skills to compete at Level 4 for the older girl and at least Level 3 for the younger DD. Some gyms are relaxed and don't have the long term/big picture in mind, but if the girls are interested in competing then you should move them to a gym that can support that. Also, if they want to compete, they likely need to go more than 1 hour a week. I didn't see where you stated how often they go, but that is also a consideration. Does Gym #1 have a competition team?

No. Not all kids will be level 4 at 7. It is a developmental process. With proper training you can achieve good strength, flexibility, proper body position, but the skills come when they are ready. Namely many 7 year olds even if they have potential will not have mill circle and BHS on average training (3 hours a week or less). They will be more likely to have that by 8-9. The years from 2-4 don't mean anything but fun, so that is fine. It is like they started at 5-6 years really most of the time. What is important to look at is proper training of strength and technique to minimize injury and be able to advance quickly when the integration between the mind and body is READY.

Understood and agree...but to still be evaluated as Level 1 after 4 years? That is surprising IMHO and would make me seriously question the quality of coaching at Gym 1.

Which is one other issue I have. After talking with them...they tell me, "we were talking about what to do with your
girls. We feel they would be challenged more if we move them."

The girls go 4 hours a week....2 sessions for 2 hours each time.

SOrry...but when I type too much the website states the page is down so I have to type over again....frustration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using a different web browser. The Chalkbucket has serious issues with internet explorer, but works fine on MOzilla and Chrome, no issues with Mac.

Yes, gym 1 does have a competition team for girls and boys.

the USA gymnastics level 1-4 althlete report card which i am reading now...my girls can do all the level 1 and 2 stuff

bridge kick-over 70-80 % of the time. hip circle 50-80 % of the time.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gym # 1 does "fun meets" for level 3-4 and then competes at L4 and above. DD #1 states that she wants to "go to the Olympics" but I have to take her to a local meet so she can see what I is actually all about. So, I still have some homework to do. But I do have to think and figure out exactly what is going to be right.

http://usagym.org/docs/Forms/Women/w_1-4_reportcard.pdf

the above is the link to the L1-4 skills. The first video is not from the USA, it is Canadian and not related to the USAG L1, though some skills are similar.

Being able to do the skills perfectly is what the coaches look for. Without us seeing your children we cannot really comment. You have to trust your instincts, but for me being told by gym 1 that they would move your girls up after you mention leaving is a big red flag.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back