Coaches HELP - Confused Mom NEEDSCoaching Advice. Sorry so long !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bog...I have that report card in front of me....and I have used it to eval the girls...that is why I am confused why gym 2 says they are behind.

This is where i feel the bad blood between the 2 gym may come into play....??!!??

Bog...I have that report card in front of me....and I have used it to eval the girls...that is why I am confused why gym 2 says they are behind.

This is where i feel the bad blood between the 2 gym may come into play....??!!??

Why not get another evaluation? We don't go by levels for the developmental program, but we have three groups in it. Bridge kickover 50% of the time would usually qualify for the lowest grouping in most pre-team programs, which if they label their preteam levels 1-3 would indeed be level one. Just because that skill is not in the routine does not mean they don't work on it, just that they use the level 1 routine choreography or call it that. In my lowest preteam group (of three) I have kids who can do back walkover AND front walkover. So these kids would be "behind" in my "level 1." We might accept based on those skills if they were strong enough, but not for the second level.

MD State Gym Girls Gymnastics Level 2 Curriculum - YouTube

If this is truly a level 2 - my children and do all these moves....

Like I said, I am just wondering if the gym 2 owner down-played my childen's skills during their test session?

What do you think?

Do you have any gymnastics experience? I am not asking the question to be disrespectful or snarky, but simply because, as someone else mentioned, there is a big difference between being able to "do" certain skills and actually executing them correctly. In the lower levels, it won't seem like such a big deal, and many mistakes in those skills won't even be noticed by a person without significant experience in the sport. However, as those basic skills build into upper level skills, the mistakes in the basics are enhanced and can prevent the gymnast from progressing as quickly as one that had learned the basics correctly from the beginning.

This is the reason that a gymnast's level can vary from one gym/program to another. It will depend on the expectations of the program. Typically, if a gym has a ton of upper level optionals (level 9 and 10s) that place well consistently, they probably have this figured out. There are other gyms that tend to have their kids plateau and quit by about level 5-6. These are often the programs that don't put as much emphasis on those early skills being truly perfected. It is hard to build on a foundation that is not stable.

Amanda, No I do not have any gymnastic exp....that is why I ask alot of questions.

I did not take it personally. This is why I want to know. If I am spending my hard earned $$, then I want
it go to good use/proper skilled use.

I know what they can do, just being a novice watcher...but yes you are correct: A quailty, qualified coach
has the best eye/advice.

Amanda, Don't worry, I did not take it personal.

I do not have any gymnastic exp. so that is why I ask lots of questions and
watch the girls in the classes instead of being on the internet the 2 hours I am there.

I want to know/learn and be informed.

Yes, you are correct - a quality, qualified coach with a good eye will see the faults of a gymnast
and not if they can do it or not. I agree totally.

The girls program does go to level 10 and is taught by a guy who was a college gymnast himself. He use to teach the guys program, but switched over to the girls. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. Once again...asking lots of questions.

The lower level girls are taught by younger (in their 20's) ladies who were gymnast (no college competition) who have been teaching for 8-10+. Once again...not sure if this is a good thing or not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back