Parents Help! DD needs split by November

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Teammom

Proud Parent
I’ve posted about my dd’s poor flexibility before. She is 6 and hates to stretch at home and her pre-team class is only one 3 hour class per week. So, she isn’t getting a lot of gym time to work on flexibility. In order to be considered to move up to JO level 3, she has to have her split. I would hate for her to not move up because of a split. Any suggestions? Will just holding a split for a minute at night really do much?

When YG was that age, we would do resistance training for flexibility.
Just holding a split didnt work for her, so she would lay on her back on the floor and I would push (gently) one of her legs toward her shoulder while holding the other leg flat on the floor. At the same time, she would try to push her "up" leg down to the floor (resisting against me). We would do that for a minute, then she would try her splits again. Repeat on the other side. We usually did it in sets of 10 and it took about 20 minutes a night... of course, I would mix in massage too - she had very tight hamstrings, so they got massaged before bed every night anyways and this just killed 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back