Help, DD's new grips are killing her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD just got new grips, first used on Monday. She had been using Velcro grips for the past two years and the new ones are US glove double buckle.

Her wrists and the sides (pinky side) of her palms are ripped and raw. Her palms are fine, but it is hurting her so much that she wants to skip practice today and she never says that.

When she first got the velcros, she didn't have that problem. Is this a normal occurance with buckle grips, or did she maybe get the wrong size or perhaps she's making them too tight?

I asked her to speak to her coach, but hasn't yet, so I thought you guys might be helpful.

Thank you!

When DD switched gyms this year she switched from velcro to buckle grips and didn't miss a beat... she says she likes them better since they don't continually need to be tightened. So I don't think it's just a matter of velcro vs buckle. Sounds like maybe they don't fit her properly or something. Definitely let the coach know and have her check it out.

I agree...DD has only ever had double buckle and never had this problem. sounds like they don't fit properly.

It does sound like a problem with the fit. Are the wrist bands fairly new or old/worn. I would take her to practice and have one of the coaches look at the grips and her wrists.

Even when grips fit properly, they will probably rip along the wrists or elsewhere for the first week or so. Tell her to have the coach or an older teammate check to make sure she isn't buckling them too tight, and then ya just gotta sit it out...

You can put athletic tape over where the raw skin is, that what I do when my grips run alot. It'll still hurt for a whole but it should callous over.

DD just got new grips, first used on Monday. She had been using Velcro grips for the past two years and the new ones are US glove double buckle.

Her wrists and the sides (pinky side) of her palms are ripped and raw. Her palms are fine, but it is hurting her so much that she wants to skip practice today and she never says that.

When she first got the velcros, she didn't have that problem. Is this a normal occurance with buckle grips, or did she maybe get the wrong size or perhaps she's making them too tight?

I asked her to speak to her coach, but hasn't yet, so I thought you guys might be helpful.

Thank you!

it'll take about 2 weeks to break them in. unless you have a mens high bar to swing giants on then it's much faster. maybe 2 days tops.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back