WAG Help from coaches for more fun while training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey there!
I'd like toget some help from coaches out there on how to include games while still working. My girls are aged from 10 to 14 years old so I need games for teenage girls. I' also like games on every apparatus if possible. Thank you!

A game my compulsory kids LOVE and beg for is tic-tac-toe...we play it as a conditioning game. I get out my white board (big, 3'x4') and draw a tic tac toe grid. In each box I write a different exercise & number of reps. ... Like 25 laps, 15 chin-up pullovers, so many frisbee pulls, so many wall walks, ball passes...blah blah. Whatever you can think of. Anyway, I hand each kid a different color marker and they put a check in the box when they complete the assignment inside that box. Instead of connecting 3 like in tic tac toe, I usually make them connect 5 three times so that they do three sets of everything. My kids beg for this workout all the time. They love it. Don't know why, they just do. I think it's because they're semi in charge of their own conditioning this way.

Anyway, the same game could be used for beam or floor. Just use skills and drills instead of conditioning.

Hey there!
I'd like toget some help from coaches out there on how to include games while still working. My girls are aged from 10 to 14 years old so I need games for teenage girls. I' also like games on every apparatus if possible. Thank you!

Team or rec...if team...what levels?

Ice cream and french fries work for every event...food is always fun! That's a team thing though.

Girls at my old gym would either hang off the bar (lower levels) or hand stand on the bar over the pit and the other girls would toss foam cubes from the foam pit at the girl trying to knock her off, the girl with the longest time wins.

I saw a gymnastike video once where the team girls played a card game to determine number of reps on each apparatus.

Reactions: JBS
My girls are level three rec which means they do like roundoff and handstands/cartwheels on beam. And I wish I could do the foam cube tossing thing but there are no foam cubes at my gym..

My girls are level three rec which means they do like roundoff and handstands/cartwheels on beam. And I wish I could do the foam cube tossing thing but there are no foam cubes at my gym..

Cool...cartwheel number game on beam. Count the limbs that touch the beam and get to a certain score. For example...hand...hand...foot...foot...would be 4 points. Hand...hand...no feet on beam would be 2 points. Then you can add rules like...if you stay on the beam...each CW doubles...4...8...16...etc. Let them put hash marks somewhere...because they love that...and give them a high but achievable number to get to. Let the whole class work together as a team. If you have beginners that can't quite get that last foot on the beam all the time...100 might be a good number. If you have pros that can do 3 - 10 cartwheels in a row...you may have to give them a number in the 1000's. After all...if a kid makes 7 in a row and you are using the doubling rule...the 7th one is worth 256 point alone.

Anyways...fun game...I do lot's of stuff with numbers...doesn't work so well if they are young and can't do math well though.

JBS the girl's math teacher may not know you but if she (or he) did she would thank you many times over.

JBS the girl's math teacher may not know you but if she (or he) did she would thank you many times over.

I used to like math...physics...a lot. Before I dropped/failed out of school...I was looking to major in nuclear engineering & engineering physics. Below is the project I worked on in college...

http://pegasus.ep.wisc.edu/

Kids love numbers!

Pegasus_plasma_engr10_3043_weblarge.jpg

I used to like math...physics...a lot. Before I dropped/failed out of school...I was looking to major in nuclear engineering & engineering physics. Below is the project I worked on in college...

That's a pretty neat looking piece of back to the future, but I just gotta ask a few things......

Where's the Delorean stashed......

Can that contraption do a clearhip blind full???

Honestly, if you want to entertain the kids, put out some tablets or Ipads and let them read "The Best of Chalkbucket." That'll have em rolling on the floor laughing.

http://pegasus.ep.wisc.edu/

Kids love numbers!

View attachment 4082
My dad was a nuclear engineer. You have to achieve a pretty high level of geek-dom to make it in that field. Clearly you were just too cool. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back